webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > OpenMobile update!!!
OpenMobile update!!!
Like Tree279Likes

Old 11/04/2012, 06:45 PM   #281 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
Hi webOS Nation!

I am reaching out to you all to let you know that OpenMobile is still very busy and very alive! We recently relocated our office headquarters, our new office is more than three times the space of our old office due to the fact that we are rapidly expanding our team!

We are currently working on a number of projects (platforms) simultaneously. Again as you all know I cannot go into much detail as we are under NDA. But rest assure that our office is very busy and full of excitement.

I constantly share your emails as well as your blog posts with everyone on the OpenMobile team. As I have mentioned numerous times – you are our cheerleaders and please keep cheering us on.

There is so much to say (wish you were a fly on our walls).. but just know we have BIG NEWS coming soon…
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
is that big news to do with Open WebOS, plam/hp device WebOS or both
None of the above... read the AnitaOM post again. Just saying hello here and that they are still alive.

New offices are more than3x the size of old = someone gave them $$$. That would not be HP/gram. Best guess is Samsung donated on behalf of Tizen after the debut of the "Infotainment" device for vehicles and they are perhaps getting paid by the Chinese OEM that will produce Meego hardware with Jolla...

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 11/04/2012, 07:34 PM   #282 (permalink)

I just thought of something: what about app licensing? If we're using apps previously downloaded from Android devices, and moving them over to the ACL, would the apps that use Google Play licensing API fail to run because the API is missing, or because it's a different device? I don't feel like paying for the same apps on a new platform, yet again.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/05/2012, 05:47 PM   #283 (permalink)

Anita thanks for the update. Obviously we're all anxious for this to become a reality.

WebOS usere have had more than their share of let downs so there is some understandable skepticizm out there.

I am much looking forward to putting ACL on my TP. I wish WebOS could run on my droid charge too

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
starbuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Garfonso and AnitaOM like this.
Thanked By: AnitaOM
Old 11/05/2012, 09:32 PM   #284 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
WebOS usere have had more than their share of let downs so there is some understandable skepticizm out there.
Yeah, except in this case there are many platforms that have been promised the ACL (webOS being the third) and not one has seen release after over a year. Users in the Meego camp, who OpenMobile committed to before any other platform, pretty much sit around and laugh at it all because even they don't think it'll come out.

It's not skepticism, it's reality until proven otherwise. In other words, Vaporware. Don't sugarcoat it.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 02:24 PM   #285 (permalink)

Where's this big news then :-(
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 08:10 PM   #286 (permalink)

My money is on them eventually using the term "in the coming months"

and then, poof!

i'd love to be wrong though

My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 04:20 AM   #287 (permalink)

Jolla just launched their MeeGo-derived Sailfish OS... with Android app support:
Quote:
According to Jolla, many Android apps will run on Jolla devices with no modifications. However, there’ll need to be tweaks made if best use of Sailfish is desired “If you want to take advantage of all UI and other features of Sailfish OS and make yourapplications fast,” the Sailfish SDK wiki explains, ”you can port your applications to native QT/QML.”
Jolla’s Sailfish spills its MeeGo-reborn secrets: Carrier & chip deals inked - SlashGear

View the video in the above link, Android logo at 00:50.

Must assume its Alien Dalvik from Myriad, as if it was OpenMobile and ACL, they'd be plastering their announcement all over the web before the presentation had finished (so far, silence).
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 11/21/2012, 05:39 AM   #288 (permalink)

Hi everybody,

So what ? Are we expecting something from Open Mobile soon ?
Its being a while that we are waiting now.
What are they doing ?
Anyone know something else ?

Thanks
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 07:07 AM   #289 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingenet View Post
Hi everybody,

So what ? Are we expecting something from Open Mobile soon ?
Its being a while that we are waiting now.
What are they doing ?
Anyone know something else ?

Thanks
I think soon will forever remain soon(tm).
Old 11/21/2012, 08:37 AM   #290 (permalink)

Its a shame, they promised something and nothing have been done.

Any other news ?

If android apps works en Webos Device, we will have the best of both world.....
Old 11/21/2012, 12:12 PM   #291 (permalink)

I'm telling you, all Android apps would do is further reduce the development of native webOS apps. The good would not offset the bad.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Old 11/21/2012, 01:16 PM   #292 (permalink)

Yeah but i miss lot of apps in webos
Old 11/21/2012, 03:37 PM   #293 (permalink)

Myriad Alien Dalvik confirmed as the power behind Android compatibility on Jolla Sailfish.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mivoligo likes this.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 11/21/2012, 05:08 PM   #294 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I'm telling you, all Android apps would do is further reduce the development of native webOS apps. The good would not offset the bad.
I completely disagree. My question to you is, "What development?". Nothing is being developed for webOS now, or next to nothing anyway. (There are still a few gems being worked on currently.)

Besides, having the extra apps would spur develpment. People would start running the Android versions of apps on their webOS phones and then think, "I can do this better". Then come up with a native app for webOS. Even if they didn't, at least we would have something compatible to use on our devices. The big problem is, the current devices are running the proprietary webOS build and are becoming out-of-sync with state-of-the-art standards.
workerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 02:36 PM   #295 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuckk View Post
Anita thanks for the update. Obviously we're all anxious for this to become a reality.

I am much looking forward to putting ACL on my TP. I wish WebOS could run on my droid charge too

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
OpenMobile will not confirm if they are working on support for legacy webOS hardware. They are suspiciously quiet. I'm sure that door has closed.

Again, I think the most important point from AnitaOM's post is that they have expanded staff and office space has more than tripled. This type of money doesn't come from non-salable work. I most sincerely doubt HP gave them $$$ to develop for legacy that they themselves (HP) no longer support. Follow the money. Jolla is moving and has monetary support. Samsung has cash and is backing Tizen.

At best, HP/gram and LG kicked in a few $ to get ACL ready for LG's new webOS powered Smart TV project.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 03:29 PM   #296 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Jolla is moving and has monetary support.
Jolla is working with Myriad's Alien Dalvik (e.g. Jolla - Many... | Facebook)
Old 11/22/2012, 08:55 PM   #297 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
and I'm responding that there is so little development on WebOS it will die all by itself without the crutch of Android app compatibility. I have purchased a lot for my WebOS phones and tablets, but the app ecosystem is basically stagnant, if not dying. There are a few quality developers still out there but I have already purchased their app if it was useful for me. If WebOS remains in my future, it will be because I can run android apps on top of it or because I'm running WebOS on top of an android device.
The most likely path to a self-sustaining WebOS ecosystem at least for near to middle term is to have some Android blood transfusions.
Zath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 09:23 PM   #298 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zath View Post
and I'm responding that there is so little development on WebOS it will die all by itself without the crutch of Android app compatibility. I have purchased a lot for my WebOS phones and tablets, but the app ecosystem is basically stagnant, if not dying. There are a few quality developers still out there but I have already purchased their app if it was useful for me. If WebOS remains in my future, it will be because I can run android apps on top of it or because I'm running WebOS on top of an android device.
The most likely path to a self-sustaining WebOS ecosystem at least for near to middle term is to have some Android blood transfusions.
Truth from my point of view --

The best possible way to go, is to create the market for web apps. While theoretically, there's this whole giant community of PhoneGap apps, I don't think there's really a whole lot of anything useful that has been written for PhoneGap, and that the whole Web App market just hasn't really taken off quite yet.

Of course, with the vast majority of all smartphones out there being Android 2.x, and it's WebView/browser are a complete pile of crap, we're still advancing towards the time when it makes sense for Android app authors to embrace web apps. Until such time as Jelly Bean or better is the most common denominator on Android, web apps just don't make sense. OF course, Android as a whole just doesn't really make sense, which is why developers tend to put most of their resources into iOS, with Android being an afterthought.

Rather than making all other systems Android compatible, it should be best to write apps in a framework that is compatible with all of the systems. And there we have Enyo 2.

Couple that with a good multiplatform interface, such as where I hope PhoneGap will be in the not too distant future (they have been making strides towards that), and in a year or two, the web app should be able to be useful by a majority of people on a majority of platforms. As is, the only places where we have good enough performance (in my opinion) for web apps is iOS 4+, Android 4.1+, webOS, and PlayBook OS. BlackBerry OS, WP, Android <4.1, iOS < 4 are non-runners, but aside from iOS, all of those systems are much more common than the ones that do have the ability to run a web app reasonably.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 09:27 PM   #299 (permalink)

So, is there actually anything stopping OpenMobile from supporting legacy hardware? They already had a demo up and running on a Touchpad, so there is obviously something there. Personally, I would love to see some sort of concrete evidence that this is still going to be released at some point, since everything in this thread could very well be a hoax. If it is eventually released, then I will definitely be switching back to webOS with a Pre 3.
Chris Dominowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 09:47 PM   #300 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dominowski View Post
So, is there actually anything stopping OpenMobile from supporting legacy hardware? They already had a demo up and running on a Touchpad, so there is obviously something there. Personally, I would love to see some sort of concrete evidence that this is still going to be released at some point, since everything in this thread could very well be a hoax. If it is eventually released, then I will definitely be switching back to webOS with a Pre 3.
Only if they end up using some facilities that are not available in webOS 3 (or 2), but are in Open. Being that much of Open webOS development is .. uh.. Open, I am comfortable working on the assumption that at this moment, it's more likely they are working on 3.0.5 than on Open. Assuming, of course, that they are actually working on this.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android apps, openmobile, touchpad apps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0