Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    II read that OpenMobile was working on it a few weeks back. Haven't heard a thing since, should I have expected this or should I be getting ready for some good news?
    Lots of news in this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...le-update.html

It is still getting talked about right here on this forum. It appears they are on track for a fall release.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    <threads merged>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by morse_davis View Post
    I have nothing intelligent to say
    Not on my Pre3 it wouldn't.
    Last edited by sledge007; 07/18/2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    johncampanale likes this.
    Regardless of that, if people wanted to run Android on an Android phone, then they will. That isn't what this is about. It, (this iteration), is about running Android apps under webOS. They have mentioned several times that is expected to be completed for the 3Q, and until that passes, I'm not worrying about, or even looking at their site for updates....and if it doesn't happen, I honestly don't even think I'll be all that upset about it. If it happens great, if not ....oh well.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    There's been no activity on their Facebook page or on their twitter account (which still shows evidence of spam/hacking as the most recent post, unless I'm misconstruing it's intent). Someone asked on 19 June via Facebook if they were still active, but they haven't received a reply. Not that they ever posted much beyond hyping their non-existent product, but now they don't even do that!

The failure to communicate at all via either of these two methods is hardly a good sign, but the email bullonparade85 says [s]he received on 12 July would suggest they are still in business (or at least, someone is still manning the email account). However, I'm beginning to have my doubts. I'm reminded of the JooJoo tablet scam when thinking about Open Mobile. Hope I'm wrong, but have absolutely no reason to think I am.
    Or maybe it is a good sign. Maybe they're working their *** off which gives them no time to reply?
    AnitaOM likes this.
    good or bad we'll know for definate come the time they said it "would" be ready/available.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by morse_davis View Post
    I hope, for Open Mobile's sake, that their business strategy doesn't depend on targeting users of devices that were never released in the US or devices which were discontinued as of last year. However, it might explain why their blog hasn't been updated in about six weeks.
    If you take a look at their web site, you can clearly see their business strategy is to target every OS, including windows and Linux. We will see if this comes to fruition, but clearly their business strategy does not solely revolve around webOS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If you take a look at their web site, you can clearly see their business strategy is to target every OS, including windows and Linux. We will see if this comes to fruition, but clearly their business strategy does not solely revolve around webOS.
    Although if you read further, they say that anyone can license it for Ubuntu Linux when they want it, so that means they're only making this happen if someone wants it. In our case HP. In Ubuntu's case that would be Canonical, but I'm not sure if they'd wanna license it...
    Anita any update? (soon)

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    AnitaOM likes this.
    At least about ACL OpenMobile - as it will work on Jolla/MeeGo smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
    At least about ACL OpenMobile - as it will work on Jolla/MeeGo smartphones.
    Not bad news... That came from an interview with Jolla's CEO, not OpenMobile people. Apparently, Jolla says it will also run on other systems, and of course, ours is not mentioned: They are Tizen (another Moblin/Maemo/Meego/whatever spin), Bada (Samsung's own) and Linux. May webOS fall into this third branch?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Open webOS was not released... so, is not intelligent confirm anything about, now...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Jolla have subsequently denied claiming they will be using ACL, stating it was a mistranslation of the original Finnish interview. Jolla are yet to reveal full details of their "app story".
    Hi Everyone!

First off let me apologize for my delay in responding. Our management team has been traveling on business for a three week tour in Asia followed by back to back weeks in CA filled with exciting meetings – all good news! Needless to say it has been very busy in the OpenMobile office.

I want to give you an update, although I can’t say much because we are under NDAs - we are absolutely still here! We have been so quiet because we are working our tails off, so please keep cheering us on! We love the enthusiasm and support from the webOS community – you Rock!

As a side note… we are rapidly growing and are looking for talented engineers to join our team. That being said - please check out the job postings on our website: www.openmobileww.com/careers. If you are local or know anyone in the Framingham, MA area that you think would make a great addition to the OpenMobile team, please forward them the link and/or send resumes to me directly.

Thank you all so much for continued support in OpenMobile.

Thanks,
    Anita
    Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    Hi Everyone!

First off let me apologize for my delay in responding. Our management team has been traveling on business for a three week tour in Asia followed by back to back weeks in CA filled with exciting meetings – all good news! Needless to say it has been very busy in the OpenMobile office.

I want to give you an update, although I can’t say much because we are under NDAs - we are absolutely still here! We have been so quiet because we are working our tails off, so please keep cheering us on! We love the enthusiasm and support from the webOS community – you Rock!

As a side note… we are rapidly growing and are looking for talented engineers to join our team. That being said - please check out the job postings on our website: www.openmobileww.com/careers. If you are local or know anyone in the Framingham, MA area that you think would make a great addition to the OpenMobile team, please forward them the link and/or send resumes to me directly.

Thank you all so much for continued support in OpenMobile.

Thanks,
    Anita
    Anita,
    The post below on your blog dated May 31 says you will be debuting the port in Q3, 2012 so apparently that piece of news was not under NDA (see below).
    Can you please confirm whether you are still on track for Q3 release or whether you are now aiming for Q4 [edit: or some date beyond Q4]?

Thanks.

ACL for webOS Update | OpenMobile
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/28/2012 at 06:53 PM.
    This is the fixed link to the Careers page: Careers with OpenMobile World Wide
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    AnitaOM likes this.
    If they are hiring and still think the webOS Community rocks then I will continue to hold onto hope!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Er I'd rather have the date confirmed than the compliments.

They gave a date in May on their website and now that the date is only a month away, we get a vague posting without a date from an employee whose task apparently is to post in various places so openmobile can get engineers (for other projects?).

In the absence of getting the date re-confirmed, my sense is we need some talented engineers ourselves who will know how to install an android emulator onto openWebOS.

Sorry.

edit: and maybe they found out, a month ago, just like us, that open WebOS from HP would not support Touchpads (although we will see if the talented webs-ports team can filch any pieces of it to improve the TouchPad LunaCE)
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/29/2012 at 08:37 AM.