Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    LOL that (typo?) got to me too.

Shouldn't it be "The webOS" ?!?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    bluenote, xandros9 and renater like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    LOL that (typo?) got to me too.

Shouldn't it be "The webOS" ?!?
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH61QsNJg90[/YT]
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    So, no further updates?

Their twitter feed seems to have been hijacked judging by the most recent twitter (something about $100 credit on an Amex account having purchased something from Dell), and it's been a whole 2 days since the MeeGo/Jolla announcement, but Open Mobile still haven't stepped forward to pledge their support - they usually can't wait to add their support for any new mobile OS, something must be wrong!!

I wonder if they've gone out of business?

In all seriousness, if they do have a viable product, and they depend on OEM support, then Jolla must surely now be their best opportunity to bring ACL to market.

If Open Mobile ACL can't succeed with Jolla then I'm afraid Open Mobile must surely be filed in the snake-oil category.
    "MeeGo success story"? I wonder if anyone outside of mobile developers have ever even heard of MeeGo.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    "MeeGo success story"? I wonder if anyone outside of mobile developers have ever even heard of MeeGo.
    Not my quote. By the same token, is webOS a success story?

But let's not allow petty OS tribalism to cloud the issue, as that's not the point I'm making.

Focus instead on the numerous promises made by Open Mobile to support every mobile OS going, and their profound lack of delivery for any of those mobile OSes.

People here are getting all excited about the promise of support for webOS from Open Mobile, but frankly I think they'll be left disappointed along with everyone else.
    I never called it a success story, it's more a lesson on how to implode a business.

Hasn't Open Mobile released on one platform now?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I never called it a success story, it's more a lesson on how to implode a business.
    In that case your point was made with great subtly...

Although imploding a business must surely include partnering with Microsoft as a pre-requisite.

Hasn't Open Mobile released on one platform now?
    Nope, not for a single platform.

Loads of demonstrations though... usually on MeeGo. I've been thinking for a while now that they're nothing but very well co-ordinated videos.
    I thought it was released for Tizen? At any rate, I'll wait until 3Q like they said initially before I make any judgement. Worst case scenario, I will continue dual-booting, which doesn't happen very often
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I thought it was released for Tizen? At any rate, I'll wait until 3Q like they said initially before I make any judgement. Worst case scenario, I will continue dual-booting, which doesn't happen very often
    I really hope OpenMobile comes to webOS still...it seems like many apps crash on CM9 and if OpenMobile runs under webOS then I'm sure the memory management will be much better.
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    I thought it was released for Tizen?
    Tizen hasn't been released, so how could they have released ACL for Tizen? So far Tizen only exists as an SDK and on a few development devices given out at the last Tizen seminar.

At any rate, I'll wait until 3Q like they said initially before I make any judgement. Worst case scenario, I will continue dual-booting, which doesn't happen very often
    Fair enough, and I hope they do deliver as it would suggest they can do likewise for other operating systems, but frankly I've been watching how they operate for some time now and it's following the same pattern with webOS, which is basically "1) Find a community desperate for some love, 2) Drop love on community, 3) Disappear, 4) Find another desperate community, 5) Rinse & repeat."

I'm still trying to work out why they bother.
    wolfgart likes this.
    Ok, fair enough I actually thought it was being used in Austrailia/ Asia...I stand corrected..it isn't something I really follow. I did fire off a tweet at them just to see what they had to say. If/when I hear back, I'll post it here.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Ok, fair enough I actually thought it was being used in Austrailia/ Asia...I stand corrected..it isn't something I really follow. I did fire off a tweet at them just to see what they had to say. If/when I hear back, I'll post it here.
    You might be thinking of Bada, which is Samsungs proprietary mobile phone OS for their lower-end feature-phone/smartphone devices.

Although ACL is promised for Bada, it's not available for Bada either.

In fact I don't think there's a mobile OS they haven't yet promised ACL support for, apart from Jolla (but give it time it's only been 2 days and launched over a weekend) and understandably, iOS. My prediction is there'll be a Jolla/ACL announcement on Monday... if they're still in business, that is!

sledge007 likes this.
    Here is a link to their (OpenMobile's) Data Sheet: ACL for webOS

Note that the full name of the link is "Data_Sheet_ACL_for_WebOS_3"

webOS 3? Does that mean only TouchPad?

In the text it says, "Available today, OpenMobile's Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) brings over
    400,000 Android apps to your WebOS device. ACL for WebOS performs seamlessly on Smartphones, Tablets,
    eReaders, Connected TVs and IVIs
    . ACL powers your WebOS devices with an Apps Ecosystem of 400,000+
    Android apps." (Highlight added by me)

I looked in the App Catalog, but don't see anything from OpenMobile.

Seems they are setting up all the marketing hype on their website in advance. Let's hope they prove themselves right sometime soon.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    OMG a .PDF document that opens! Hehe I don't often open up .pdf's but when I do, it's a crap shoot whether it opens or not. Any indication of when that was written?
    ...Any indication of when that was written?
    Nope.

But every once in a while they fill in some of the dead links on their site and you get a bit more functionality / information.

Looks like they are gearing up for real.

The Data Sheet says"Available today" and it is new info to me... I ran to poke at the HP App Catalog as OpenMobile promised they would have "an affordable app" there when the time comes. I wasn't too hopeful. LOL... Imagine if I could have been the first to score a working copy of ACL.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Any indication of when that was written?
    According to the PDF properties, created/modified 22 May 2012 by someone called Leila.
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    According to the PDF properties, created/modified 22 May 2012 by someone called Leila.
    Last time I poked around the OpenMobile site was about a month ago, give or take... That wasn't an active link back then.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Last time I poked around the OpenMobile site was about a month ago, give or take... That wasn't an active link back then.
    Confirm it yourself - download the document, open it in Adobe Reader and view the Properties.

Maybe someone found the PDF lying around and posted it recently, or they set the clocks back on their PC when they created it yesterday...

The only other explanation, other than the obvious of OpenMobile living in a total fantasy world, is that they wrote the document 6 weeks ago when they submitted the app to the webOS App Store - does it take 6 weeks for an app to be approved these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    Confirm it yourself - download the document, open it in Adobe Reader and view the Properties.

Maybe someone found the PDF lying around and posted it recently, or they set the clocks back on their PC when they created it yesterday...

The only other explanation, other than the obvious of OpenMobile living in a total fantasy world, is that they wrote the document 6 weeks ago when they submitted the app to the webOS App Store - does it take 6 weeks for an app to be approved these days?
    Oh I don't doubt it was finalized when you say PDF properties reveals it to have been last altered.

I'm just saying I don't know how long it has been actively available for download from their site... It does make me think they are preparing to open for business soon. I take it as a good sign. I guess some suit didn't comprehend that posting a Data Sheet saying "Available today" would encourage some webOS geek to start drooling and hitting up the App Catalog in search of the ACL App that he has been waiting for.

Or maybe they did and they want to get some buzz going.

Last edited by RumoredNow; 07/10/2012 at 01:13 PM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Emailed them today and actually got a response. They said they are working on it for the touchpad. Didn't mention phones though which leads me to believe it might be coming with openwebOS 1.0. Hope it comes to phones too!
    jcmarcos, trousemoore and Rnp like this.
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast