Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    Smartphones and tablets?
    Android had smartphones and tablets when it first came to market?

According to your logic, why should anybody bring a competing product to market where there are already established players?

Open webOS will essentially be a startup, and will have to act as such if it plans on getting out of the cradle. All you've been saying throughout this thread is that they shouldn't even try. If that's so...why are you here at all?
    Vistaus likes this.
    I am really asking myself what you are doing here.
    You are telling this platform is dying, also you say Open WebOS is making no change without hardware.
    Have you ever bought a device with WebOS?
    If you did, why?

BTW, this is a thread for OpenMobile, not about the future of WebOS
    greetings from Germany :-)
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I'm being trolled, and I know it. So this will be the last bit of food.

Windows 1 and 2 were flops. Windows 3 was not. Your logic states that there never should have been a Windows 3, based on the market rejection of Windows 1 and 2. Microsoft never produced PCs. It was wholly dependent on OEMs.

Google doesn't produce hardware, even now. It's "phone" is built by HTC. Again, by your logic, Android should never have come to market, as Apple absolutely owned the smartphone market at that point.

webOS is in the same boat, right now, with the exception that it can still get support from its neglectful parent should something (which is still more unlikely than likely) happens, and open webOS finds new life. But it is more likely that an OEM which is having some Google indigestion might take a look, first. However, if that's going to happen, the entire kitchen sink is going to have to be thrown in to get the ball rolling. That includes an ACL over webOS.

I'm glad they (meaning everybody involved) are making the attempt.
    Let's get this back on topic. OPEN MOBILE ACL UPDATE (in case you forgot) If you feel you are being trolled, then please use the report button. The red triangle with the(!) exclamation mark in it, and someone will take a look and make a decision. You will get faster results that way as well.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    HelmutsKohl likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Let's get this back on topic. OPEN MOBILE ACL UPDATE (in case you forgot) If you feel you are being trolled, then please use the report button. The red triangle with the(!) exclamation mark in it, and someone will take a look and make a decision. You will get faster results that way as well.
    This really is still on topic, sledge. Openmobile has to be considered critical to open webOS having any kind of future. Lack of apps really hit webOS hard, whether that was mere perception or an actual reality didn't end up mattering. It turned out to be fatal, all the same.

If Openmobile delivers, one of, if not the biggest single road block to open webOS' (future) marketplace viability gets shoved to the side. The two points really are intertwined.

As for refuting Debbie Downer up thread...his viewpoints really did need to be questioned. But I didn't consider them to the point where they should be removed. Hence the reason why I didn't ask for any moderation. If you or another mod does, that's your call, of course.
    Sorry I have to disagree with you, this thread is going off on a tangent. Keep it to the original topic, which is updates to the progression of Open Mobile ACL to webOS. Start a new thread if need be, this isn't the place that discussion.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Fair enough, sledge.

For Anita...your giving us updates on OpenMobile's progress is greatly appreciated, and I (and others, I'm sure) are very much looking forward to your successful webOS port.
    I second that, I am reeeeeaaaallllyy looking forward to Android apps on WebOS. I got so excited about the last 2 paid apps I installed on my Pre3 and I want that excitement again!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Me too. I'm tired of booting Android for 30 minutes, drawing several "somethings", and rebooting back to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I second that, I am reeeeeaaaallllyy looking forward to Android apps on WebOS. I got so excited about the last 2 paid apps I installed on my Pre3 and I want that excitement again!
    Still hooked on Picross on the TP
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Front page article, you should check it out.
    What's the lastest on this situation?

Does anyone know if OpenMobile plane to bring ACL to Pre3? That'd be amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    What's the lastest on this situation?

Does anyone know if OpenMobile plane to bring ACL to Pre3? That'd be amazing!
    Supposedly Q3 sometime and on all devices, it does not discriminate. But we don't know how it will handle permissions and have not heard anything about this. Right now webOS walls off contacts from apps, for example, so you will not find a case of a linkedin app or some other app sucking your data up to their server where it then can be sold to some other company who will then use it to spam you with twitter links that tell you how you can earn $8000 an hour by sitting at home (I just got one of those this morning).

edit: in regards to the troll situation, it might be good we are starting to have them again, might show they are concerned about webOS as it is a wild card, potentially able to disrupt the market when it is open sourced. I've been good faith writing my experiences on a thread asking if webOS touchpad is ok to buy for creating docs and I notice this one person who claims to have tried the touchpad, yet something made me look through all their posts since they joined last month and every post says how IOS is superior.
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/13/2012 at 10:17 AM.
    So that means no Android WhatsApp? And no Trillian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    we don't know how it will handle permissions and have not heard anything about this. Right now webOS walls off contacts from apps
    So that means no Android WhatsApp? And no Trillian?
    I guess so. Unless the apps have a function to add a contact manually, they would be of no use. Or a future webOS version might add a function to allow access to contacts. Like I said earlier, I'd love having Android apps, but I'd uninstall immediately any of these when a native webOS version is available, and purchase it.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Protected DBs should remain off limits. ACL should add hooks to trick an app into installing after having received some bogus authorization for heightened privileges. The app, in turn, should allow for downloading or importing a contact list of the user's choosing.
    after owning a playbook for 2 weeks and learned to love the android VM, i really would love to see something like this on my pre3 or openWebOS in general. The Playbook is a great tablet but it just lacks some apps that are common on android or ios. With the android vm i was able to get almost all of these apps that are currently not official available running.

If they can pull out something like that for webos it would be awesome

PS: android apps on the playbook dont have access to your contacts, for apps like whatsapp for example it is possible to create android contacts.
    geekpeter and Vistaus like this.
    There is an ACL for webOS Update
    Posted on May 30, 2012 on their website, see below for link.

Openmobile reaffirmed on May 30 that it is coming to webOS in Q3.

Elsewhere we are hearing that MSFT is charging OEMs a whopping $85 per winRT and now MSFT has its own hardware. Are they hoping to squeeze the OEMs out of mobile and generate a new revenue stream for themselves to counter slowing pc sales?

This gives Meg an out to reverse Leo on webOS--she should take it. She could say Leo made his decision when there was little webOS ecosystem but now openmobile is giving webOS access to Amazon store and Netflix vids. She could hint that HP needs another mobile basket besides expensive WinRT. Heck, she could reopen talks with Amazon to use webOS as a differentiator with the possibility of cheap google tablet breathing down Amazon's neck.

My friends, this story is far from over. Viva la webOS!

ACL for webOS Update | OpenMobile
    ACL for webOS fans and followers,

Thank you so very much for your continued support and enthusiasm in OpenMobile! We are so glad that we already have such a strong passion towards ACL for webOS. Our post on the webOS Nation forum said it best and it is true… we expect to have the webOS port in the market in Q3 2012!

Keep your eyes peeled for more updates and information! Our engineers are hard at work to develop ACL across many platforms, including webOS, and we will post another update when we have more to share.

edited for spelling
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/21/2012 at 10:40 AM.
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Here's some of the discussion over at xda in a thread started by some jag-off calling himself RumoredNow.

On 18, June a member wrote:

"ACL might be a great thing, but I heard rumors saying that it might be open for OEM's so that the public will have to buy a smartphone which will be shipped with the ACL. I asked OpenMobile on that and the marketing lady was not 100% sure if the ACL will be released to public, so there may be a release in app catalog or not, we'll see.

My reply was that on June 8th I received this response via e-mail from someone at OpenMobile's marketing:

"Thank you so much for your email. We are working diligently to deliver ACL across multiple mobile platforms. Unfortunately I do not have specific release dates at the moment, but I will reach out to you as soon as I have further information. Thank you again for taking the time to email OpenMobile. We are hoping to have an announcement in the very near future about a downloadable version of ACL - dates, timing, pricing, versions, support, etc. Please be kind enough to stay tuned for more information as soon as I am able to release it.

The first member came back and said that later that day (June 18th) he finally heard back from OpenMobile after 7 weeks:

"Thank you so much for reaching out to OpenMobile. As per your email and questions below, yes, OpenMobile is actively working to support ACL for the webOS. Unfortunately, I do not, however, have specific dates regarding the release timeframe, although we hope to be able to announce these in the very near future. And yes, I believe there will be a consumer purchase and download option from the AppCatalog, which will be simple to download, install and run (it would not require any technical assistance!). It is my understanding that the consumer download version will not be expensive."

It seems that OpenMobile is indeed going to fulfill it's potential and is nearing the stage when official announcements will be more forthcoming and less cryptic.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    cujoq37, xandros9 and Vistaus like this.
    "the webOS".

I love it. Is Stephen DeWitt from HP involved?
    kill_dano likes this.