Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By Andreas
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Will be getting my Touchpad on friday and would very much like to buy some books on Amazon. Would it be piracy to ask for the Kindle .ipk?

Sharing the .ipk would give Amazon another paying customer or is it too sensitive to talk about these days?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i think webosinternals is working on some kind of global, universal app catalog or something. i don't know too much about it, but maybe the kindle app would be available in that
    I take it you're out of the USA? You should be able to use App Tuckerbox to access and install free geo-restricted apps like Kindle. http://www.webosnation.com/app-tucke...return-preware
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I don't think it counts as piracy if it's normally a free app...
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    It's a copy-written app and still the property of Amazon.
    No different than borrowing a book from someone. As long as that someone purchased the book in the first place.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    It's a copy-written app and still the property of Amazon.
    Not trying to thread-jack here, but are you saying that because it's copy-written and owned by amazon this is piracy? I've never thought that free apps could be pirated...

I suppose if you're violating the EULA maybe? But that's not really piracy either, is it?

I'm honestly curious why that is pertinent to my comment.
    the issue is that you are asking someone to distribute (send to you) something that they don't have the right to distribute.

the webosinternals solution mentioned above is a method that allows you to get the app yourself without requiring someone to break the law to send the ipk to you.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I deleted an earlier comment of mine because it could push the discussion off track... but while I was doing that and writing a reply, cantaffordit posted exactly what/how I wanted to say it. I'm too tired to get a coherent thought out tonight and he said it perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    That it's free is not the determining factor. When someone creates a copyrightable work it comes with many rights but one right is the right to distribute that work. The copyright holder can choose to give it away free or charge or not give it away at all. They can choose to charge in one country and not another or not distribute it at all in another country. The fact that they distribute it free in one place doesn't mean it's free to take somewhere they choose not to distribute it. Sports programming is often shown on free TV in one country but for a fee or not at all in another.

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    No different than borrowing a book from someone. As long as that someone purchased the book in the first place.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    There is a bit of difference. Borrowing a book does not entail making a 1 to 1 copy of the original book. You take the creative work and give it to someone else. There is still only one book. Where as sharing a copyrighted computer program involves duplicating the original. You have to make a copy and send it. That's a right, the copying, the person that paid for the original file doesn't have a right to do. Now if you want to loan you're phone with the ipk installed that's perfectly lawful.

NOTE: It should be noted that big picture Amazon may not care because they may make it back by selling books. Then again if they may not if all people do is sideload downloaded apps. But point as a practical matter Amazon may not really care. Maybe you could get them to allow it for download globally. And if its in the preware feeds its unavailability globally may be more of a function of the hurdles involved in palm setting up a foreign app catalog with payment systems and stuff much more then it's about Amazon preventing it. I'd look to the method Derek speaks of above. Seems to provide out of country people a viable option.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 02/08/2012 at 08:37 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I'm going to ask a somewhat off-topic question. Has anyone ever contacted Amazon to find out why they haven't released the Kindle app in other countries, or if they have plans to do so?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    It's quite a dilemma, its not a paid app but since its copyrighted it's not legal to share. But if it was shared Amazon would earn money from book sales. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try and get hold of it without having someone breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm going to ask a somewhat off-topic question. Has anyone ever contacted Amazon to find out why they haven't released the Kindle app in other countries, or if they have plans to do so?
    Dan, maybe they didnt bother taking it out of beta once HP said they would stop with hardware?
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I take it you're out of the USA? You should be able to use App Tuckerbox to access and install free geo-restricted apps like Kindle. http://www.webosnation.com/app-tucke...return-preware
    But as far as I know the Kindle app is in the Beta Catalog and support for the Beta Catalog has been removed from App Tuckerbox. In this situation only the Dummy Maker app (couldn't make it work on my TouchPad) or Impostah will help.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ive e-mailed Amazon and was told they would forward my request to the Kindle devs.
    AstroTerp likes this.