Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By c000
  • 1 Post By DanPLC
  • 1 Post By c000
  • 1 Post By DanPLC
  • 1 Post By harpo95993
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    (according to webosnation) http://www.webosnation.com/developer...iews-your-apps

guess that discussion yesterday prompted someone to write an article
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I don't think they intended to say this was a solution to piracy. This is just another way to offer a trial version that can be easily accessed via a browser. You can just as easily offer a free, time-limited trial in the catalog. The browser method has the advantage of allowing anyone to go visit the site and try it out without having to even have their device on-hand.

The only problem would be if your app is reliant on device specific features such as GPS, accelerometer, etc.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    well i saw a lot of complaints that they pirated an app before buying it because there was no trial/preview so they had no idea if the app would suit their needs.

now it looks like the ball is in the developer's court.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    well i saw a lot of complaints that they pirated an app before buying it because there was no trial/preview so they had no idea if the app would suit their needs.

A trial version would help those people. But most people who pirate apps do it just to get something for free.

But in regards to offering Enyo apps on the web, I think it's more beneficial as a marketing tool more than a way to combat piracy. I think having a fully (or even partially) functional version of your app on the web is a great way to advertise your app.

Also it's a great way to get your product to stand out in the crowd. Imagine one of these Enyo developers releases their app in the iOS or Android app stores(which BTW they've done already). The other similar apps in the store just have descriptions, pictures, and maybe a video. But the Enyo app has a link to a website which gives a pretty good hands-on demo of the product. With one easy click, the customer can try it out.

The other apps in the iOS and Android apps stores could never provide this type of option because most of them are developed natively for the device. But with Enyo, you have an app that is developed in HTML5/CSS/Javascript and easily installable in most modern browsers.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post

Bah, just excuses.

That will not help devs, or will solve anything. Just more work for us.
    Newness Developments apps:

I think this is a great idea. I don't buy apps based on reviews because what one person or multiple people like may not be what I like. Having a chance to see the app in action would definitely help me choose whether or not it meets my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Bah, just excuses.

That will not help devs, or will solve anything. Just more work for us.
    Aw come on, friend, don't be jaded. Give us users a little more credit. Just remember that most of us are good paying customers who crave more good apps to purchase and really want to support webOS devs and see them succeed!
    Last edited by sq5; 02/11/2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo95993 View Post
    I think this is a great idea. I don't buy apps based on reviews because what one person or multiple people like may not be what I like. Having a chance to see the app in action would definitely help me choose whether or not it meets my needs.
    Agreed! It certainly wouldn't hurt. Especially in the case of more expensive apps and/or apps that are supposed to interface with third party hardware, even a very limited trial would do better than the best reviews to know if it will even work with your configuration the way it is supposed to. Ofherwiise you could buy an app and realize it is broken and/or has been abandoned by the dev. (I'm looking at you DigiOBD Pad!)
    Sadly due to country restrictions even if I want to buy an App I cant.
    If I send a request to pay via a different mode of payment even that is not accepted by the sellers stating that as per policy they sell it only to restricted countries.
    I have no option left but to use a pirated app if I want an app desperately which is not sold in my country..

Below is one of the replies like that, if an alternate to this can be found I would be glad to buy the app instead of stealing them.
    Hi,

We thank you for your feedback.

Currently, mundu IM for HP Veer is available for purchase in the
    following 10 countries.
    Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, New Zealand,
    Spain, UK and US.

It is not available in India. You will be able to buy only when it
    becomes available in the App catalog for your country. We are sorry
    about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Aw come on, friend, don't be jaded. Give us users a little more credit. Just remember that most of us are good paying customers who crave more good apps to purchase and really want to support webOS devs and see them succeed!
    Don't get me wrong.

All my respect to good people. That people deserves everything. But there are suckers too, and those will not change, and it doesn't matters how easy you put them to try.

I've been working on making Communities able to work online. Last week I've been full time working on it (I've been out of work due to surgery, so I've been able to do it). And know what? I've been doing it with the absolute certainty that this will not be the solution to anything.

Right people will get a free service from me, and that's right, but suckers will get it too, and will continue pirating my app, although they will be able to fully try it without restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post
    Sadly due to country restrictions even if I want to buy an App I cant.
    If I send a request to pay via a different mode of payment even that is not accepted by the sellers stating that as per policy they sell it only to restricted countries.
    I have no option left but to use a pirated app if I want an app desperately which is not sold in my country..

Below is one of the replies like that, if an alternate to this can be found I would be glad to buy the app instead of stealing them.
    Well, yours is a special case. I can tell you I've been contacted only in two times for that matter, The first time I left the guy out of luck (basically because he drives a site that promotes piracy) and the second time I gave him the app for free.

That's two people, in two entire years. Obviously, it's not your case, but it shows pretty clearly how it works.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 02/12/2012 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Don't get me wrong.

All my respect to good people. That people deserves everything. But there are suckers too, and those will not change, and it doesn't matters how easy you put them to try.

I've been working on making Communities able to work online. Last week I've been full time working on it (I've been out of work due to surgery, so I've been able to do it). And know what? I've been doing it with the absolute certainty that this will not be the solution to anything.

Right people will get a free service from me, and that's right, but suckers will get it too, and will continue pirating my app, although they will be able to fully try it without restrictions.
    I understand. Of course there will sadly always be some people just looking to steal. Every app is different and every developer's situation is different, so a certain solution for some apps/developers may not be a solution for some others.

I personally wish you very good luck with your surgery recovery and your app development.
    Last edited by sq5; 02/12/2012 at 06:59 PM.