Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree54Likes
    I had a VERY long response (scary long) I was going to type, but so much has already been said. Almost none of us are saints, but that doesn't change that OP's approach was wrong. For every one person that does pay up, there are dozens of others that never do, and that is taking away someone's creation. Their work, their time, their support, etc. You and I have no idea what a developer gave up to create their app, so it's not up to us to decide the manner in which it is distributed or priced.

We don't have the right to self-trial an app, and if you really wanted to learn more about whether or not the app was right for you, TALK TO THE DEVELOPER! Chances are there are plenty of webOS devs that will find a way to make an app available to you, or provide you enough info that you can make a decision.

There's always a reason to pirate something, but that reason is always worse than the intended transactional method. We'll all beat the same dead horse, but in every case where 'reasons' can be cited, 'reasons for not' can also be cited. The fact remains, you're not playing by the rules, even if you are just in the end.

I do appreciate you (OP) being honest & for paying the dev, but a justification is simply that. A justification is simply a mind trick to convince ourselves that a wrong is a right. Gray areas exist, sure, but not until all other options/approaches to do it right have been exhausted.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    I got an analogy for ya. Lets see how many of you are using " freetether " and "My tether" on sprint etc.. Im sure those who develop or are merely using the tethering application are aware that the carriers have a "mobile hotspot" program installed and is a "service" which requires a fee. Is this not considered the same ? Are people merely trying out the service or are they using it and avoiding what the carriers are providing at a cost and getting this for free :/
    Quote Originally Posted by T4H_KiserSose View Post
    I got an analogy for ya. Lets see how many of you are using " freetether " and "My tether" on sprint etc.. Im sure those who develop or are merely using the tethering application are aware that the carriers have a "mobile hotspot" program installed and is a "service" which requires a fee. Is this not considered the same ? Are people merely trying out the service or are they using it and avoiding what the carriers are providing at a cost and getting this for free :/
    That's an interesting question. I don't personally use tethering services. But I guess the answer to the question would depend upon what Sprint's policies are. If they specifically forbid you using any other tethering software other than their own, then no people shouldn't do that if they signed a contract with Sprint. If they don't forbid this, then using another tethering service would be fine. It would be like using your own WIFI setup instead of renting the Time Warner Cable WIFI setup.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  4.    #64  
    wow this thread is out of control I think there is some good discussion here tho. Like I said before I am very much against stealing. This was just my experience with quote "pirating"

Now I don't feel what I did was completely wrong. Not saying it was right, but it was a victimless crime. I understand both sides of the argument and as a community we should try to work together to help better support devs and help user meet their needs and make there lives easier to keep them on the platform. In the end that is want webos was made for*

*and to make alot a money for investors. Which it didn't, but thats a another forum post
    Quote Originally Posted by T4H_KiserSose View Post
    Maybe in your country, not in mine.

I use freeTether, with my Veer to access the internet on my TouchPad. FreeTether STILL uses bandwidth, that is recorded, by my phone. I have a 6GB limit/month under my current plan. Whether I choose to use my tablet, my home PC, my PS3, or any other device is my choice, and perfectly legal.

Let me just say that prior to my Veer, I was using freeTether with my Pre-. Now because of the changeover (combined services would be a little more exact) at Bell Mobility (CDMA to GSM/HSPA), Bell was unable to record just how much data I was actually using (only with CDMA phones). They do know about this glitch in the system, but it's my guess that they are hoping to phase out the old phone technology, and bring in the new.

I did have a nice run of basically free internet on my TouchPad, and now I'm paying for it. It wasn't even close to stealing though. (Like I said Bell was aware of the issue, but did nothing about it.)
    This thread started off as a good discussion and then degraded into personal attacks. Can't play nice.. thread cleansed and closed.
    fxspec06 likes this.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234