Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    As over 300 of you have already discovered there is a demonstration version of my new Subsonic media player - XO (that's a reference to the commander of a submarine, in case you're wondering about the name). The demo version is mostly fully functional, barring a couple of major issues that are still in place in my development version, except that it is locked to only accessing the demonstration server, as the features that are not yet working are not enabled on the demonstration server. (I don't believe the demo server has any video files loaded on it, but video is functioning .. the other things are file downloading, which works but has some significant problems with it's progress indicators, and a few other smaller issues). The demo server also does not support Jukebox mode (controlling your media server's playback from your mobile)

Mostly, though, I'm looking for feedback on the program itself. What do you find good, bad, what's confusing about operation? What can I change to make it easier to operate? Does the interface all make sense, on both phones, and on TouchPad? Are there any other features that are needed?

The full version of the program will be available in the app catalog in the next 2 weeks or so (depending on fixing the problems that cropped up in wider use of the new GVoice update), probably along with a demo update, and will be priced quite competitively with full-function Subsonic apps on other platforms.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Rnp and trz0332 like this.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I'm shocked that no-one has replied to this post =O I tried your app last night on my TP, just what I was looking for. I tried the subsonic app on CM9 on my TP and I think I prefer the interface for the webOS version.

I'm at work at the moment, but at some point soon I'll update this post and give some thoughts on anywhere I think it could be improved.

I went to bed listening to the naked scientist podcast you have on the demo server, it was most enlightening!

Keep up the good work!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I would be happy to help test if you need it- just send me a message w the details & where to download it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    As over 300 of you have already discovered there is a demonstration version of my new Subsonic media player - XO (that's a reference to the commander of a submarine, in case you're wondering about the name). The demo version is mostly fully functional, barring a couple of major issues that are still in place in my development version, except that it is locked to only accessing the demonstration server, as the features that are not yet working are not enabled on the demonstration server. (I don't believe the demo server has any video files loaded on it, but video is functioning .. the other things are file downloading, which works but has some significant problems with it's progress indicators, and a few other smaller issues). The demo server also does not support Jukebox mode (controlling your media server's playback from your mobile)

Mostly, though, I'm looking for feedback on the program itself. What do you find good, bad, what's confusing about operation? What can I change to make it easier to operate? Does the interface all make sense, on both phones, and on TouchPad? Are there any other features that are needed?

The full version of the program will be available in the app catalog in the next 2 weeks or so (depending on fixing the problems that cropped up in wider use of the new GVoice update), probably along with a demo update, and will be priced quite competitively with full-function Subsonic apps on other platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    I would be happy to help test if you need it- just send me a message w the details & where to download it.
    Its in the app catalog
    Does the app have Bluetooth support? Plays on phone back speaker but not over bt for me.
    Last edited by laingman; 02/07/2012 at 04:51 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Hmm. I've recently discovered that for some reason, the Bluetooth does not appear to work. I don't know what the reasoning for it is, but as soon as I find a fix for it, I'll be sure to let the world know.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Works well on my TouchPad and Pre 3 (over wifi). This is a great alternative to KalemSoft Player for the TouchPad and the only solution for me on the Pre 3 (all my media are on machines running Linux). It doesn't have some of the bells & whistles that KalemSoft has, but at least it works on the Pre3.
    eblade likes this.
  8.    #8  
    BTW, the full version is out in the catalog now. Connects to any Subsonic server, so you can now connect to your own media collections, or that of people you have access to

Great to hear that it's working well. I too use it for playing movies and TV on my TouchPad, just let the server handle the conversion on the fly. And I just got a 2TB hard drive, so I'll be able to rip a lot of video to it
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I can't figure out how to log in with a different user on the TouchPad. I seemed to be able to on my Pre2.

Also, (unrelated to your client), how do you edit playlists??? Either in your app, or through the web-interface?
    I am loving your app. Fantastic for a 1.0!

I have a few of suggestions:

1. Can you incorporate the use of the headset button, to allow pausing and skipping forward, on both the phone version and the Touchpad version.
    2. I find switching from to & from the "Now Playing / Player" scene to be cumbersome and unintuitive. Could you incorporate a button on the lower button bar (don't know the proper name) to switch to & from the "Now Playing / Player" scene. Maybe you could use the "|||" button. When in the main scene, show the "|||" button at the far right. Tapping it would take you to the "Now Playing / Player" scene. Now the "|||" button would appear at the far left. Tapping it again would return to the main scene.
    3. Add dashboard controls for the phone version.
    4. Provide some kind of indication when the app is busy. I find myself waiting sometimes to see if my last tap registered or not while things are being transfered from my subsonic server.
  11.    #11  
    Hey there, sorry I didn't get to your first message, I've been working my day job a LOT, and I don't catch all the new messages here all the time anymore.

You should be able to switch users or servers on both versions just by tapping the Server box in the top of the Home view, and entering new information. On 1.0, it only updates the server info when you change the server box, though, although future requests to the server use the new username. I added an OK button to my development version that causes the whole set of info to reset when you clear the popup now, so hopefully that mystery will be solved.

To edit a server stored playlist, you can hit "Play" on it to load it into your device's playlist (I considered having a "Load" option seperate from Play, but figured that it would be rarely useful), and then add or remove from there, then hit the Save button and save it with the same name, to overwrite it.

I don't use the web interface at all, I kind of hate it.

To your latest message ..

1. Headset button?

2. Hmm. Well, I guess HP never really got to making the swipe-from-right to access additional panes very standardized, since they didn't really release a lot of Enyo apps for the phones (ie, none except for the phone app on 2.2 and the Maps app for all the others) However, on Pre and Pre2, we are pretty much overloaded with controls already. Before I make any major UI changes, I'm hoping that Enyo 2.0's UI system will be available, will work better on the phones, and will hopefully provide me with some better ways to use some of the little space that the phones have.

3. Definitely going to do, but the stock Enyo dashboard doesn't show up on phones, so I need to write my own. Both of my apps need that pretty badly, actually, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet. So, yeah, it's definitely on the todo list.

4. Absolutely right on that. The Server box has a loading indicator, and I always intended to put it somewhere more visible, but that slipped my mind before getting 1.0 out. Of course, the next question is "where else would I put it"

If you keep up with the XO blog, I did detail some other things that I've got in the works for an update, too .. Blog/Discussion | XO – Subsonic Commander one of the things being that I got remembering your position when you close the app working, so I think that'll be pretty cool. I'd like to stick a "resume playback automatically on startup" option in there, but that'll require actually writing an options menu .. depending on how long it looks like re-writing in Enyo 2 will take, that might get added to the existing version.

Oh, and if you're a fan of Jukebox mode, I just rebuilt my entire work area, so that Jukebox is a lot more convenient for me to use, so that's going to get a little bit of love here this weekend, too. And I hope to get something rolling with https support as well, but I can't say how long that's going to take.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Wow. Thanks for the quick response.

The headset button I am referring to is the button on the earbud headphones that is used to answer and end a phone call. I believe it also pauses music playback on the stock m7sic player, and some apps have assigned a quick double click to advance to the next song. Very convenient.

Your other answers are great, as well as your future plans. Keep it up.
  13.    #13  
    oh... hmm. I would need a headset that has that before I can check that to see if it works. My guess is that it probably operates like the volume control buttons do -- Apps can tell if they were pressed, and do something in response, but they can't stop the default operation from happening . . which makes using them for other purposes .. annoying. I'll have to see if my Bluetooth headset has the ability.. however, XO doesn't currently work via Bluetooth, from what I understand, which is also something that needs to get fixed, if possible. I've been told that there are no Enyo apps that work with Bluetooth, which is mindboggling, because Enyo and Mojo audio use the exact same end method.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    OK, for ease of use I have gotten used to tap any where on album toggles pause play, also swipe left and right to got back and forward. I was probably the first one to buy the app but haven't used it much as I only use bluetooth.
    Another question . Is there any chance we could choose our default video player? It's a shame to have to use Touchplayer when I have Kalem Media Player installed.
    I stopped being able to play music on both my Pre 2 and my Touchpad. It appears that I log in fine, I am able to see all of my music. I am able to load a playlist, but when I select a song to play, I get the spinny circle thingy and that's it.

I am still able to play music from my subsonic server from my computers through the web interface though.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    OK, for ease of use I have gotten used to tap any where on album toggles pause play, also swipe left and right to got back and forward. I was probably the first one to buy the app but haven't used it much as I only use bluetooth.
    Bluetooth was fixed an update or two ago, as far as I'm aware
    I like the other ideas there, not sure how long it will take to get those, though, as I'm imagining them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Another question . Is there any chance we could choose our default video player? It's a shame to have to use Touchplayer when I have Kalem Media Player installed.
    You don't -have- to use TouchPlayer, you could use the default Flash player. Any idea if there's some documentation as to how to call Kalem to stream a file?

I stopped being able to play music on both my Pre 2 and my Touchpad. It appears that I log in fine, I am able to see all of my music. I am able to load a playlist, but when I select a song to play, I get the spinny circle thingy and that's it.

I am still able to play music from my subsonic server from my computers through the web interface though.
    I get this sometimes, too. Restarting the subsonic server seems to fix it.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Bluetooth was fixed an update or two ago, as far as I'm aware
    I like the other ideas there, not sure how long it will take to get those, though, as I'm imagining them.

You don't -have- to use TouchPlayer, you could use the default Flash player. Any idea if there's some documentation as to how to call Kalem to stream a file?

I get this sometimes, too. Restarting the subsonic server seems to fix it.
    I don't know how to call Kalemsoft Media Player. You could ask the developer.

I have restarted the server multiple times. Still no luck. Any ideas?
  19.    #19  
    I don't know how to call Kalemsoft Media Player. You could ask the developer.

I have restarted the server multiple times. Still no luck. Any ideas?
    Unfortunately, I am out of ideas there. Maybe try changing servers, and changing back? You could use Lumberjack from Preware to pull up the log from it, and email it to me, i could have a look and see if i can see if there's anything going wrong in the app, or what.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Hi,
    You could also talk to the developer of BHome UPnP. I believe they have been able to communicate with Kalemsoft and use it as a player.

Fingers crossed.

Baldric

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast