Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #41  
    Alright guys. It seems we're going off track and losing focus. The intent of this thread isn't to have a philosophical debate about piracy, or argue if losing money==not making money. It's pointless. All I'm doing is creating a path for redemption, for those who've pirated my apps. So, I'm going to reiterate my post:

If you've ever pirated any of my Apps (and you're having troubles sleeping at night because you practically robbed me), I ask that you make a Paypal donation (or refund, if you will), using the link below:

Donate (Refund) to Inglorious Apps:

Only comments I'd like to see from now on are "I donated $x". No need to post your thoughts about piracy, or random complaints about HP, or any other form of trolling.
    Thanks
    It will be wiser if you asking people to get redemption by donate and give them the rightful copy, instead just ask for donation. Why people will donate if they will not get anything else beside the piracy copy of your apps?

HP may have policy to restrict developers to sell apps outside app catalog, and yet it is the main problem that maybe you don't want to care or try to solve it. If paypal always available as an option to buy apps, I'm quite sure many webos users at non supported country will give contribution to app sales. The number maybe not big, but give them another path to buy your apps always the best way rather then just follow the 'stupid' rules from HP.

Kalemsoft maybe off track from HP policy, and yet I found they are the 'smartest' software developers I found on webos world, because not following the rules.
    Hummm... let me see... no, I have no one Inglorious pirated...

Well, speaking seriously... the HP can help to solve MANY of this problems: accepting Paypal!

Editiiiiiiing...

snoopgoat, I don't know if you know, but I'm using the USUnlocked to buy the apps, and I have to pay $ 31.00 for each $ 25.00 just because just because I'm living in Brazil, where we have NO ONE app available; free or paid...

I confess, I has used many pirated softwares but; after USUnlocked work to me, I has bought all of them...

Ironic, I sold the Touchpad and now I'm with PrPrPr $again$, $without$ $all$ $softwares$ $that$ $I$ $has$ $bought$ $to$ $Touchpad$... ($Ouch$! )

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 01/23/2012 at 10:33 AM.
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Hummm... let me see... no, I have no one Inglorious pirated...

Well, speaking seriously... the HP can help to solve MANY of this problems: accepting Paypal!

Editiiiiiiing...

snoopgoat, I don't know if you know, but I'm using the USUnlocked to buy the apps, and I have to pay $ 31.00 for each $ 25.00 just because just because I'm living in Brazil, where we have NO ONE app available; free or paid...

I confess, I has used many pirated softwares but; after USUnlocked work to me, I has bought all of them...

Ironic, I sold the Touchpad and now I'm with PrPrPr&$amp$;#$233$;&$amp$;#$179$; $again$, $without$ $all$ $softwares$ $that$ $I$ $has$ $bought$ $to$ $Touchpad$... ($Ouch$! )

Best Regards...
    apptuckerbox

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    You're right. Unfortunately this restriction is caused by Hp and not the developers (I hope that's obvious)
    oh no I am aware that it's not the programmers "fault". What I'm saying is that the ridiculous restrictions on who can buy software feeds piracy, and keeps it alive. It's now been 3+ years and I still can't buy webOS apps.

That is not good for the programmer, the user (could potentially make user a criminal), webOS, or even HP. It's a loss all round.
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    so you are saying hp does not get a 'cut' from each app being sold?
    i was under the impression that was standard business practice, eg. apple etc.

and i would think it WOULD matter, since, you know, hp should be trying to protect touchpad devlopers' products. But they dont, and havent. even if it was hosted in some other country, hp is a multi national company, i'm sure they have lawyers in every corner of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Faulty assumption. It might simply not be practical or even possible to go after it (e.g. if hosted in a different country).

But more importantly - it doesn't matter. Not even a little bit. Even if HP were OK with it (and that is highly unlikely).

HP is not the same as the individual dev that gets denied his deserved income.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    apptuckerbox

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Thanks, but not all works...

For example, Colouring Books HD don't work, and I have no balance in my USUnlocked account to buy the PrPrPr $version$...

Smartoffice, the same situation...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)

Only comments I'd like to see from now on are "I donated $x". No need to post your thoughts about piracy, or random complaints about HP, or any other form of trolling.
    Thanks
    Even never used any of your apps... till today.. today I downloaded Glimpse and maybe test it sometime in the future... but I have sent you a donation...

This is the best way... if we could download the application and pay for it via paypal... at least us from the nonsupported countries...
    Interesting and glad someone (a developer) posted a message like this.

Isn't in complicated to install pirated software on webOS and things are so inexpensive that I find it hard that many people do this? I guess "if there is a will there is a way!"

Pirating on webOS doesn't really make a bunch of since and I'm just curious what's the point? Is $.99 cents or even a 4.99 app worth stealing? I know for a fact that Android and IOS piracy is significant...just do a search on Google and you'll see what mean and I guess with webOS TP getting more popular it is making its way to webOS?

Either way, wife and I both purchased Glimpse when it was initially released and appreciate what it has to offer (need to pickup some Touchstone chargers to make it even more useful). Hope others activity hasn't soured your motivation with webOS...I appreciate your efforts! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post

Pirating on webOS doesn't really make a bunch of since and I'm just curious what's the point? Is $.99 cents or even a 4.99 app worth stealing? Sorli...
    Non supported country.. no other way to get applications :-(
    I'm proud I can say that I bought your apps. This was mostly due to the fact that I had 50 dollars of free money to spend on apps though..
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting and glad someone (a developer) posted a message like this.

Isn't in complicated to install pirated software on webOS and things are so inexpensive that I find it hard that many people do this? I guess "if there is a will there is a way!"

Pirating on webOS doesn't really make a bunch of since and I'm just curious what's the point? Is $.99 cents or even a 4.99 app worth stealing? I know for a fact that Android and IOS piracy is significant...just do a search on Google and you'll see what mean and I guess with webOS TP getting more popular it is making its way to webOS?

Either way, wife and I both purchased Glimpse when it was initially released and appreciate what it has to offer (need to pickup some Touchstone chargers to make it even more useful). Hope others activity hasn't soured your motivation with webOS...I appreciate your efforts! Sorli...
    WebOS apps are mostly pretty cheap. And if you buy them you get support and updates. Just keeping current with updates (unless the app never changes) seems like the value of the time involved would be more than the price of most apps. So honestly aside there are practical reasons to buy.
    snoopgoat and sorli like this.
    Would a better option for those that pirated the apps to delete them from their TP's and then buy them through the official channel

That way the can update them as and when the dev updates them, and is also making it legal
    Dogma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Would a better option for those that pirated the apps to delete them from their TP's and then buy them through the official channel

That way the can update them as and when the dev updates them, and is also making it legal
    If it were me I'd say so yes...
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Thanks
    then you should have made a topic and asked the mods to sticky it then lock it to prevent anyone else from commenting. really what did you expect by starting a topic like this? you probably know that there are a lot of people with various opinions and who can get pretty passionate about their views on the topic
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I believe the Glimpse dev tweeted that he was no longer developing for webOS but I could be wrong about that.

Wish HP would expedite opensource.
    Well he just released Notes HD, and he started this thread so I am guessing he still has some involvement with webOS.

Not putting words in his mouth (or any other specific developer), but most of the webOS developers I keep up with are working on at least porting to 1 other platform. Since they have put the time into the initial app, they would like to continue to profit from it. Thanks to some of the webOS folks going to Nokia, Nokia has been shipping out some WP7 Nokia love to some of our favorite developers ( John Kneeland | John vs. Internet ). Most of the folks I know in this situation, have said they will continue to offer updates and develop for webOS but need to look towards the future as well (at this point webOS user base is not growing, so it makes sense).

Now back on topic, just wanted to clear that little piece of info up.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    This is a strange thread. Instead of asking people to give you a donation and confess their sins, all they would have to do is delete the pirated app and just buy yours off the catalog. I think people would feel less likely to admit to stealing from you than just to go through the proper channels. If people use an app, they should pay for it. But I also think webos should have a "try before you buy" policy similar to Android's refund period, or the Amazon Test drive.

edit* I just saw that Sonic said the same thing up above, sorry I didn't mean to pirate your post
    Last edited by Dogma; 01/23/2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Sonic likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    This is a strange thread. Instead of asking people to give you a donation and confess their sins, all they would have to do is delete the pirated app and just buy yours off the catalog. I think people would feel less likely to admit to stealing from you than just to go through the proper channels. If people use an app, they should pay for it. But I also think webos should have a "try before you buy" policy similar to Android's refund period, or the Amazon Test drive.
    The intent of his post is for the many (you can see many in this thread) that say they are forced to pirate because of HP/Palm app catalog restrictions. He and other developers are attempting to give a way for those folks that say they are forced to pirate to rightfully pay for the app that HP restrictions keep them from being able to buy.

This is basically removing the *excuse* from those users that say they have no option to pay for the apps because for XYZ reason their country/profile/etc doesn't have access to these paid apps.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The intent of his post is for the many (you can see many in this thread) that say they are forced to pirate because of HP/Palm app catalog restrictions. He and other developers are attempting to give a way for those folks that say they are forced to pirate to rightfully pay for the app that HP restrictions keep them from being able to buy.

This is basically removing the *excuse* from those users that say they have no option to pay for the apps because for XYZ reason their country/profile/etc doesn't have access to these paid apps.
    I see, that makes sense.

If you use it pay the man!
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

That's why like I said above. It is wiser if we can have a legit copy of the app after we do donation. We can update the app via software manager, and don't need again to go 'off track' by using illegal stuff. If we only donate but still keep left in the dark, why we need to donate? We won't get any update or support from developer anyway.
    Last edited by The Bard; 01/23/2012 at 06:29 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast