Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By HardBeatZ
  • 3 Post By anon(679606)
  • 2 Post By rwhitby
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone!

I just had a very weird experience with my Touchpad, and I thought it important to share with everyone.

I was browsing apps in the app catalog and accidentally clicked to purchase a paid app while I was scrolling. I had recently entered my webOS account credentials so it skipped straight to payment processing. However, instead of using my credit card on file in my webOS account it told me that I needed to have a credit card on file in order to purchase apps. I went to the app catalog preferences to see that sure enough there was no credit card listed there. I was 100% positive that I had entered my credit card and have even purchased apps with it in the past. Even more alarming though was that the email address for sending receipts was not my own. Not only was it not my own email address, but it was an address I did not know and had never even seen before!

I was almost duped and was in the middle of correcting the information before I became suspicious, so I had already removed the foreign email address by then. I do remember that it was a female sounding name something.something@gmail.com.

I tried erasing all apps, and a secure full erase, but the anomaly did not go away. Finally I used the Doctor and that finally fixed it. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Be careful out there!
    U.S. Robotics PalmPilot 1000 --> U.S. Robotics PalmPilot Professional --> Palm III --> m505 --> Palm IIIc --> Tungsten T3 --> Samsung SCH-i760 (Windows Mobile) --> Motorola Droid (Android) --> now back to Palm with the Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroTerp View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I just had a very weird experience with my Touchpad, and I thought it important to share with everyone.

I was browsing apps in the app catalog and accidentally clicked to purchase a paid app while I was scrolling. I had recently entered my webOS account credentials so it skipped straight to payment processing. However, instead of using my credit card on file in my webOS account it told me that I needed to have a credit card on file in order to purchase apps. I went to the app catalog preferences to see that sure enough there was no credit card listed there. I was 100% positive that I had entered my credit card and have even purchased apps with it in the past. Even more alarming though was that the email address for sending receipts was not my own. Not only was it not my own email address, but it was an address I did not know and had never even seen before!

I was almost duped and was in the middle of correcting the information before I became suspicious, so I had already removed the foreign email address by then. I do remember that it was a female sounding name something.something@gmail.com.

I tried erasing all apps, and a secure full erase, but the anomaly did not go away. Finally I used the Doctor and that finally fixed it. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Be careful out there!
    Can you send me a private message with your webOS account email address and your current device serial number. I would like to check some records on our end.

Also do you remember what last application it was that prompted this next series of steps to occur?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    renater, bevcraw and pogeypre like this.
    Did you install any homebrew apps? Apps from the Catalog should not be able to mess with your Palm Profile. Also, could your Palm account have been compromised (on the web, not the TP)?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Did you install any homebrew apps? Apps from the Catalog should not be able to mess with your Palm Profile. Also, could your Palm account have been compromised (on the web, not the TP)?
    Of course I've installed homebrew apps. They are some of the best parts of webOS. I don't think my Palm account was compromised on the web, otherwise using webOS Doctor would not have fixed it.
    U.S. Robotics PalmPilot 1000 --> U.S. Robotics PalmPilot Professional --> Palm III --> m505 --> Palm IIIc --> Tungsten T3 --> Samsung SCH-i760 (Windows Mobile) --> Motorola Droid (Android) --> now back to Palm with the Touchpad
    was your touchpad NIB or did you buy it used.. ?

sounds like you may have been using the pad on someone else's webos account..........
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

6.    #6  
    The Touchpad was NIB when I received it. The app catalog account was setup fine originally. I have the emailed app receipts to prove that.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing. If it happens again, grab a screen shot (power-button + home-button) and post it.

Are you going to try and reload the previous apps you had?
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
    sounds like a glitch maybe on palm's side - maybe the account database infrmation on palm's servers somehow got corrupt and your profile was associated with someone else's account. wierd
  9.    #9  
    I am reloading my homebrew and patches 1 by 1, and checking after each time. So far everything seems to be fine. Maybe it was an HP glitch. I just don't understand why it took a full Doctor to fix it. Shouldn't the "secure full erase" have done the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    sounds like a glitch maybe on palm's side - maybe the account database infrmation on palm's servers somehow got corrupt and your profile was associated with someone else's account. wierd
    That would also be my first assumption.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    don't worry about a thing ...I have good news for you about your lost credit card info ...I found it up on facebook...
    Balooz, spud101 and grappler like this.
  12.    #12  
    It just happened again.

I am attaching a picture as requested. I assure you that my email address is NOT spam@email.com.

The last thing I installed was the homebrew patch "find in page."

Another piece of possibly relevant information that someone reminded me of, is that I am running 2 Touchpads on the same webOS account. Could this be confusing the app payment system?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I have installed Find in Page and just checked mine and am ok. I have 5 TPs on one account.

We are going to need to see your list of patches and probably some Impostah data....

Update:
    Not that a patch could even sneak something in like that, but I checked over the source for all the versions of that patch and there is nothing remotely suspicious in there...
    Last edited by amrcc; 01/10/2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroTerp View Post
    It just happened again.
    Another piece of possibly relevant information that someone reminded me of, is that I am running 2 Touchpads on the same webOS account. Could this be confusing the app payment system?
    That may be the cause. I don't think HP supports multiple identical devices on one profile account. Probably they detected this and changed the profile on one (or all?) of your devices. Just guessing here.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Also make sure and get HardBeatz the info he was asking for. It won't hurt to have as many eyes on your "issue" as possible (both HP and us). The sooner we/you figure out what happen the sooner the speculation will stop...
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    That may be the cause. I don't think HP supports multiple identical devices on one profile account. Probably they detected this and changed the profile on one (or all?) of your devices. Just guessing here.
    Multiple touchpads on the same profile are most definitely supported. I do it all the time.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    HardBeatZ and spud101 like this.
  17.    #17  
    Ok. I officially feel like an *****!

Sine the app catalog was updated the hulu fix no longer blocked it from opening. I assumed that this meant that there was no longer a conflict between the two. However, while the hulu fix no longer breaks access to the app catalog, it appears that it still breaks app payments.

DOH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Multiple touchpads on the same profile are most definitely supported. I do it all the time.

-- Rod
    as you have spoken of multiple devices on the same account, I have my Pre3 and Touchpad both on the same account but the Veer had to be on another account, is that true, or did I do something incorrectly?
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    as you have spoken of multiple devices on the same account, I have my Pre3 and Touchpad both on the same account but the Veer had to be on another account, is that true, or did I do something incorrectly?
    I spoke of multiple touchpads, not multiple phones.

One phone, many touchpads is the rule.

-- Rod
    I don't have the Hulu fix and have had a quirk in my webOS profile a while back where my security question ended up being in German!!!

But resetting the question to something else did the trick. May not be related at all to what we are seeing here but felt it could be interesting to post... Just in case
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work: