Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    News Speaker beta is a text to speech application which read RSS and Twitter feeds. This version is provied as a beta version.

Features :

• Select your favorite RSS and Twitter feeds >> News Speaker uses Text to speech integration to read RSS titles and full text tweet.
    • For tweets : hashtags, mentions and links are not read
    • Add RSS feeds with copy/paste or using internal RSS search engine.

To do list :
    • enable Exhibition mode
    • Add controls for navigation

You are welcome to make comments and give ideas about this application.

News Speaker will be released as free in the App Catalog once out of beta state.

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...audioheadlines

Have fun ! if you find a better name than "News Speaker", I'll be very happy to read your ideas !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VasTheGreek likes this.
    I get no responses to my beta apps either.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    lol
    maybe ppl just dont like news.

I was interested until I read the requirements; its a no-go on the Pre3. I hardly use my TP, and in neglecting it, have sort of forfeited use to someone else. What I will do though, is spread the word.

An avid RSS user myself, I think an important addition would be OPML import/export. Coming from a Palm OS device, it was a pain copying all links into the Pre because NewsRoom didnt import that particular OPML file - only XML.
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    lol
    maybe ppl just dont like news.

I was interested until I read the requirements; its a no-go on the Pre3. I hardly use my TP, and in neglecting it, have sort of forfeited use to someone else. What I will do though, is spread the word.

An avid RSS user myself, I think an important addition would be OPML import/export. Coming from a Palm OS device, it was a pain copying all links into the Pre because NewsRoom didnt import that particular OPML file - only XML.
    Thanks, there's a RSS search engin inside apps to fast setup. News Speaker is set up with a selection of feeds.
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I get no responses to my beta apps either.
    It's hard to say but, I feel that there are less and less people using webOS devices. It's a shame, and doesn't push developers forward. What do you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    anyone ?
    I will try it and let you know.
    Thanks for making this for free

I would love if there was a way to make something like this to read notes from txt or docs or pdf etc....
    First impressions are good. When I try to stop the RSS reader it takes a while to respond in order to terminate the the voice control. That is my only comment.

I would pay for this app if the following was to be implemented:
    - Remove adverts.
    - Able to add your tweeter account and have it read new tweets.
    - Could read the full RSS articles.

Any chance in looking into these?
    Also how easy would it be to read text from a pdf/txt/doc ?
    This would make it a killer app for the TP and Pre3.

Vas
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Sorry, I actually missed the original announcement. The app is fun, but I saw a few issues...

It sometimes stops before it finishes reading what's on the screen. This sometimes gives an incomplete and confusing read.

There should be a way to have it recognize and skip retweets of the same thing. Today I learned that Hostess was filing for bankruptcy... 11 times in a row.

Some tweaking of word recognition is in order. For example, the word "labor", was pronounced "lai-bo". Sometimes the word grouping is funny as well. I heard something like "drones kill" pronounced "drone skill".

All in all, I like it.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    VasTheGreek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Sorry, I actually missed the original announcement. The app is fun, but I saw a few issues...

It sometimes stops before it finishes reading what's on the screen. This sometimes gives an incomplete and confusing read.

There should be a way to have it recognize and skip retweets of the same thing. Today I learned that Hostess was filing for bankruptcy... 11 times in a row.

Some tweaking of word recognition is in order. For example, the word "labor", was pronounced "lai-bo". Sometimes the word grouping is funny as well. I heard something like "drones kill" pronounced "drone skill".

All in all, I like it.
    I think the accent and general voice is not too robotic and generally good to understand. However the stop/start issues I think personally is of a higher priority.
    news like this needs to spread via twitter and webosnation/webosroundup and whatevers left of hp/palm dev relations.

just found out myself via twitter about this app today, will try it out.
    thanks
    I played with it the first day you posted it and found it to have a lot of potential. However, I don't do my twitter news off of searches. I stick with my own timeline from whom I've chosen to follow. If you can allow this to read off our own twitter timeline of news, that would be solid gold for me. Could have it running on the Touchstone beside my desk. The voice is great. I was afraid it was going to be that awful robotic voice used in many of the App Hack apps awhile back.
    What will be on the screen in exhibition mode? Will the screen time out to blank without impairing the speech function? My concern is screen "burn" some have mentioned. I also note that it is much more convenient to try apps that are in the catalog since there is no need for a separate computer, website access, USB hookup etc.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    First impressions are good. When I try to stop the RSS reader it takes a while to respond in order to terminate the the voice control. That is my only comment.

I would pay for this app if the following was to be implemented:
    - Remove adverts.
    - Able to add your tweeter account and have it read new tweets.
    - Could read the full RSS articles.

Any chance in looking into these?
    Also how easy would it be to read text from a pdf/txt/doc ?
    This would make it a killer app for the TP and Pre3.

Vas
    That would be cool to add your own tweeter account. Text to speech API allows only 100 letters for each request. So it will be hard to find a free TTS API that allows more than this.
  14.    #15  
    I'll delete RT tweets
    That would be cool to add your own tweeter account. Text to speech API allows only 100 letters for each request. So it will be hard to find a free TTS API that allows more than this.
    Will you have time to modify the app to read your account tweeter feeds?

Is the length a limitation of the HP implementation then? I guess when they release webOS as open source this could be changed? Or maybe you could create some logic that splits a sentence on puntuation (commas, full stops etc) or somehow generate smaller requests? Even if there is a small pause between sentences it would be better than not have it at all right? Just throwing some ideas.

Think of GPS navigation, book reading, news, emails, sms etc.
    I'm sad I cannot have this on my Pre3

Many thanks
    Vas
  16.    #17  
    Thanks for all your ideas ! I'll release the next version also for pre3
    Thanks for all your ideas ! I'll release the next version also for pre3
    Any news?
  18.    #20  
    new version available here : http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...audioheadlines

New name : Audio Headlines

New features

• Bug fixes.
    • Faster close voice control
    • Live reading : enables to read the latest tweet as they come.
    • Available for TouchPad tablet & Pre smartphone
    • Exhibition mode enabled
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast