Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twack
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I have a new app in development. It is an offshoot of Shortcut Launcher. For those of you not familiar, Shortcut Launcher allows you to create shortcuts that will open other apps with specific files at launch.

This app, "name tbdtbdtbd&$quot$;, $is$ $almost$ $done$, $but$ $I$ $am$ $at$ $a$ $point$ $that$ $I$ $would$ $like$ $the$ $User$ $Community$ $have$ $their$ $say$ $in$ $how$ $it$ $works$. $The$ $app$ $is$ $a$ $front$ $end$ $to$ $handle$ $flash$ $files$ ($mostly$ $games$) $and$ $have$ $them$ $open$ $in$ $full$ $screen$ $mode$ $ready$ $to$ $play$. $No$ $holding$ $the$ $fingers$ $down$ $or$ $doubl$/$tripple$ $tapping$ $or$ $anything$. $Just$ $Play$!

So the options are:

1. Have the app let me store a custom shortcut for each game on my launch tabs, or

2. Just give me the ablity to pick the flash file from a list and launch it right from the app.

In both cases, the app will have a flashfile (game) launch in fullscreen mode.

I'd like the community to vote on how they want to see the app behave. Please provide a short pro/con from your perspective with your vote, or just vote.

TIA,

P.S. I will need testers in a few days. Stay tuned.....
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    2 framed kinda idea, far bottom a slim horiz frame that just has a "Pick Filename" kinda button the files details and a launch button or something, top horiz frame fills the rest of da screen.

i already did something similar in crappy html but the normal PC browser method for picking a file obv didnt work, it ended up only working in Internet Explorer which was about as much use as a waterproof teabag.

you made something vastly superior and works very well, this would be your competition/inspiration at a guess, not sure why youd upgrade something that works well already.

its only issue like anything flash is the need to double click the flash contents to make it "stick" before you can drag/press/etc, but everything is like that afaikafaikafaik.

personally id like a file picker or button to pick a file, but thats just me, atm im using SubOrbital to make a "Flash" subsection to throw your shortcuts into.

Would be nice if this or Shortcut Launcher when launching a flash/swf file wouldnt use the full browser and just have the web contents showing much like the Machinarium ipk that Jason made here : http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3054485
    Last edited by geekpeter; 12/23/2011 at 07:53 PM.
    both sound interesting. I'm willing to test if you need it.
    Option two. I have at least 50 .swf's would prefer not to have that many shortcuts.

I'll test for ya.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    OK.... I went with option two since it would be a pain with option one if you had lots of games. Everything is working now, it opens with a file chooser which you can browse normal or hidden directories that are filtered to just see "*.swf" or "*.fla" files. Once you pick a flash file, it opens in a full screen locked in position view for immediate play. Actually pretty cool! I launched and closed 4-5 different games in about 10 seconds.

Now I'm looking into saving game states and/or using unique user launch files which would allow you to have the same game for multiiple users on the same machine each with their own progress saved. This looks kinda dodgy as different flash games save status' in different ways. I may just decide to leave this out of the first couple of releases. If someone has studied doing this to any depth, please contact me. It looks like it could easily become a sizable project in itself.

Without the latter topic, I should have something ready for a couple of testers on Monday or Tuesday. Still looking for a name too. Maybe just "FlashFile Launcher" to keep in-line with the other WackWare Apps.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas tomorrow!
    Cheers,
    TWack

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post

............. SNIP ............

Please, do clarify when you have a chance, and I sincerely hope I'm incorrect that this is what your application does. Happy Holidays to you and yours.
    This app allows you to choose a file and open in it in a full-screen webview. It's just like if it were an ebook reader, music player, movie player or any other file opener.

While I appreciate the conversation, I find myself thinking of sooo many analogies. Like, "We better not have cars, because they can be used by bank robbers as get-away vehicles", or "The Web Browser allows you to view illegal sites, so we better not have Web Browsers".

There are tons of SWF/FLA files that can be legally downloaded for free or for purchase. A proper viewer on the webOS platform will bring increased value to the legal sellers/distributors and the legal consumers of those files. It is not intended to do anything else.

Cheers,
    TWack

speedygodzilla likes this.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Ready for Testing!

This is for TouchPads only and you must be running 3.0.4 minimum.

PM me your personal emails and you'll get a testing setup.

In your PM please include the following:
    First and Last Name
    Personal email to be used for IPK delivery only
    Type & Size TouchPad WiFi or 4G and 16, 32, or 64GB
    Version of WebOS
    Country

Enjoy,
    Last edited by twack; 12/26/2011 at 12:19 PM.
    TWack

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    both sound interesting. I'm willing to test if you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmaker123 View Post
    Option two. I have at least 50 .swf's would prefer not to have that many shortcuts.

I'll test for ya.
    Check your PM's
    TWack

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    The App is now in testing. It has a file browser that allows you to choose any swf** file from any of your directories (hidden dir's too) and then launches the file in full screen mode.

We just released the app to testing today, so look for it on the catalog real soon.

Note**
    This app is only for use with SFW files that you own or have downloaded from legal download sites. It does not bypass any website storefronts or strip them of advertisements which would do harm to the host website. Remember, the more support you give to the webOS developers and sites, the stronger webOS becomes. An by doing so, you're going to get even more value and enjoyment from all your webOS devices.

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!
    TWack

Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    The App is now in testing. It has a file browser that allows you to choose any swf** file from any of your directories (hidden dir's too) and then launches the file in full screen mode.

We just released the app to testing today, so look for it on the catalog real soon.

Note**
    This app is only for use with SFW files that you own or have downloaded from legal download sites. It does not bypass any website storefronts or strip them of advertisements which would do harm to the host website. Remember, the more support you give to the webOS developers and sites, the stronger webOS becomes. An by doing so, you're going to get even more value and enjoyment from all your webOS devices.

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!
    Sounds awesome. I'm in. PM sent.