Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I know there is a number of TP apps for twitter like Spaz, Graphite, Incredible etc.
    However I want to know if any of these supports notifications when the App is not open. Carbon does that for the phones and it is very useful. I don't want to have the twitter app always open, I just want notifications the same way with Facebook, email, Foursquare etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I know there is a number of TP apps for twitter like Spaz, Graphite, Incredible etc.
    However I want to know if any of these supports notifications when the App is not open. Carbon does that for the phones and it is very useful. I don't want to have the twitter app always open, I just want notifications the same way with Facebook, email, Foursquare etc.
    Not that I know of. I asked the same question few months ago. This is one option I always use on my pre- with most Twitter clients.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It seems strange to me and very un-webOSish.
    Not even Graphite? Is 3.x so much different?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    project macaw from homebrew app can notify without the app opened. It's now in beta and you can find how to install it by checking @projectmacaw on twitter.
    It seems strange to me and very un-webOSish.
    Not even Graphite? Is 3.x so much different?
    As far as I understand, its currently impossible for an app to "push" notifications without the app being initially opened.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
    As far as I understand, its currently impossible for an app to "push" notifications without the app being initially opened.
    Maybe, however Foursquare does it (even though it is a port from the phones) and Facebook does it also.
    @ Loiter, Did you try Sparrow for Twitter? I think it supports Push Notifications
    The foursquare app has notifications? I've never seen any.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    @ Loiter, Did you try Sparrow for Twitter? I think it supports Push Notifications
    No, first time I heard it. Is it in the App catalog?

@eblade. Yes I get notifications on the "topbar" of my TP from Zaphree's Foursquare app. Of coure the app runs in the phone emulator, but it's cool I get the notifications even when not open.
    Quote Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
    Then you didn't understand correctly. Macaw (Twitter-client) and Foursquare can do it, so it's possible.
    hmm. I've used foursquare extensively on phones and TouchPad, and have never received an app notification. Which is why I still have the app installed on my iPod too. Maybe it just doesn't do the same notifications that the iPod one does..

There is no "push" notification system. All apps must either implement their own push system, or poll whatever service to determine if they need to notify of something or not. It's really two entirely different things that are quite unrelated to whether or not notifications are displayed when not open.

Communities also has some notifications that can be configured to run when it's not running, either. I just wish I understood how to do it
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    No, first time I heard it. Is it in the App catalog?

@eblade. Yes I get notifications on the "topbar" of my TP from Zaphree's Foursquare app. Of coure the app runs in the phone emulator, but it's cool I get the notifications even when not open.
    Yes, it's in the App catalog and it's on special right now at $1.99.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Just installed Project Macaw from Preware and I really like it. I can confirm that you get notifications with the app not open, something which for me is important and makes it my number 1 choice. Spaz has nice UI but lacks things as lists. Graphite seems nice, although I think the fonts are somewhat big and doesn't look as smooth as Carbon. Incredible looks good if you want to have other things too. Macaw has lists retweets and trending topics and a pretty decent layout. The only negative is that sliding panels are a bit slow.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Is there a patch / app or another way to set a loud distinctive notification whenever a tweet is made that meets a particular criteria? (without the app being open)

e.g. for alarm purposes.

BTW I use Project Macaw.
    Last edited by getsun; 08/08/2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Maybe ask the developer if they could add that feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by getsun View Post
    Is there a patch / app or another way to set a loud distinctive notification whenever a tweet is made that meets a particular criteria? (without the app being open)

e.g. for alarm purposes.

BTW I use Project Macaw.
    Do you have system notifications on a different setting than "Alert"?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Do you have system notifications on a different setting than "Alert"?
    Are you referring to the 'Sound Settings'?

BTW I do receive Project Macaws general notifications. What I'm looking for is custom notification triggered when a tweet meets specific criteria.