1.    #1  
    hey guys sorry If this has been asked already,but can I use splastop from anywhere or do I have to be on the same wi-fi network? I want to use it from work but not sure if I can also does anyone know if I have to leave my laptop on or can I also somehow turn it on remotely or just leave it on standby or hibernate? Any help would be much appreciated
    You can use it anywhere. When you set up the desktop client, you can authorize it to link to your gmail account for remote access. I've a terrible habit of leaving my PC on all the time, so I can't tell you from experience, but I believe there are some settings you can change to force your PC awake.
    Threres a Wake-On-Lan app in the HP app catalogue, using this you can turn your PC on either locally or via Internet (Internet with some extra router port configuring), i use this with Splashtop and a few other tools to access my PC/NAS Drives anywhere, turning then on and off as i please.

I also use no-ip account tied into my router to give me a memorable ip name i can remember which is updated constantly within the router.

The above obviously only applies if your computer/device actually supports and has Wake On Lan enabled.