Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Rakashazi
  • 1 Post By Rakashazi
  • 1 Post By Rakashazi
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By Rakashazi
  • 1 Post By chrishull1973
  1.    #1  
    Update: Ports are complete and on the App Catalog

    Hey guys, I've gotten a number of requests to port these emulators over to the TouchPad but was unsure about the future of WebOS. Now that HP has announced plans to open-source it I think it'd be worthwhile to do a proper WebOS 3.x release of the apps. Since I don't have a TouchPad myself (applied for the $150 developer units but was not selected), I'm looking for support from the community in the form of donations to help purchase one. Currently I have raised $30 from previous donations (thanks Ian, Bill, and Peter) and am putting in the total sales money earned last month ($50) from the existing Pre/Pixi versions to help. Once porting is complete, I'll release the source code to all the apps. They'll be universal so you can run them on either a phone or tablet. In case you aren't familiar with the emulators themselves, they are:

    2600.emu (Atari 2600, uses Stella core)
    GBC.emu (Gameboy Color, uses Gambatte core)
    MD.emu (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System, uses Genesis Plus core)
    MSX.emu (Microsoft MSX/2/2+/TurboR computer, uses BlueMSX core)
    NES.emu (NES/Nintendo Famicom, uses FCEUX core)
    NGP.emu (SNK Neogeo Pocket Color, uses Neopop core)
    PCE.emu (PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, uses Mednafen core)
    Snes9x EX (SNES/Super Famicom, uses Snes9x core)

    Let me know what you guys think. Note that I'll probably be skipping the refurbished $99 TouchPads on Sunday since I'd rather get one with a full warranty due to reliability issues I've had with previous devices (dead Pre 2, argh...).

    (To donate, use the link on the front page and write TouchPad somewhere in your message. I can convert your amount into App Catalog coupon codes for when the apps are released, see 3rd post)
    Last edited by Rakashazi; 06/16/2012 at 11:05 PM.
  2. #2  
    These would go a long way to getting the retro gaming community on-board with the Touchpad.

    Is there any baseline amount of donations you're looking to get in order to port the entire suite outside of having enough to buy a new Touchpad?
  3.    #3  
    I'm mainly just looking for enough to buy a TouchPad. Once my engine is properly ported, the whole suite should all work without any app-specific changes. Btw, these will be universal apps so people who already have them on the App Catalog will get TouchPad compatibility rolled in as a free update.

    To stir up some interest, lets say you can convert your donation amount into App Catalog coupon codes for the apps of your choice. If you double the amount donated for one app, I'll throw in a zero-day beta version so you'll be running it on the same day I get the code working. The guys who donated some months ago also get an extra beta
    chrishull1973 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Hey guys, I have a few updates rolling out for the WebOS apps soon, including an option to add a software "back" button which should help on the TouchPad since it lacks gestures (still no native support however). Thanks to Damian and Christopher for their donations, getting the TouchPad fund up to $120. Finally, I have a Neogeo emulator in development based off Gngeo coming to WebOS in the near future
  5.    #5  
    Sorry about the long hiatus but I have some great news, the Touchpad ports are just about finished and I'm in final testing phases. Keep checking the app catalog over the next week or so for the updates. They'll take full advantage of the Touchpad's larger screen, navigation style, and do auto-orientation changes. Btw, if you donated, send me a quick reminder email in case I forgot you. Hope you'll all be enjoying native Touchpad support soon
    chrishull1973 likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakashazi View Post
    Sorry about the long hiatus but I have some great news, the Touchpad ports are just about finished and I'm in final testing phases. Keep checking the app catalog over the next week or so for the updates. They'll take full advantage of the Touchpad's larger screen, navigation style, and do auto-orientation changes. Btw, if you donated, send me a quick reminder email in case I forgot you. Hope you'll all be enjoying native Touchpad support soon
    Looking Forward to these BTW will they have Wii control like Android & Ios
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an HP employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent HP`s positions, strategies or opinions.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishull1973 View Post
    Looking Forward to these BTW will they have Wii control like Android & Ios
    Sorry, not unless someone figures out a way to replace the WebOS Bluetooth library with Bluez. However, Bluetooth keyboards and iCade controllers work, that includes gamepads that simulate a regular keyboard. Sync them up in the Bluetooth system app and configure the keys in my emulators.
  8. #8  
    UAE4ALL port please
    renater and klx300r like this.
  9. #9  
    Whoop now I have something to use the Keyboard with
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an HP employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent HP`s positions, strategies or opinions.
  10.    #10  
    That was quick, looks like they're approved and already on the App Catalog
    avlon likes this.
  11. #11  
    Prices are pretty steep
  12. #12  
    He did just fork out for an HP Touchpad with the help of some donations to get these apps onto a basically dead system.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an HP employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent HP`s positions, strategies or opinions.
    sledge007 likes this.
  13. #13  
    <fixed to title to reflect App Catalog>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  14. avlon's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakashazi View Post
    Update: Ports are complete and on the App Catalog

    Hey guys, I've gotten a number of requests to port these emulators over to the TouchPad but was unsure about the future of WebOS. Now that HP has announced plans to open-source it I think it'd be worthwhile to do a proper WebOS 3.x release of the apps. Since I don't have a TouchPad myself (applied for the $150 developer units but was not selected), I'm looking for support from the community in the form of donations to help purchase one. Currently I have raised $30 from previous donations (thanks Ian, Bill, and Peter) and am putting in the total sales money earned last month ($50) from the existing Pre/Pixi versions to help. Once porting is complete, I'll release the source code to all the apps. They'll be universal so you can run them on either a phone or tablet. In case you aren't familiar with the emulators themselves, they are:

    2600.emu (Atari 2600, uses Stella core)
    GBC.emu (Gameboy Color, uses Gambatte core)
    MD.emu (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System, uses Genesis Plus core)
    MSX.emu (Microsoft MSX/2/2+/TurboR computer, uses BlueMSX core)
    NES.emu (NES/Nintendo Famicom, uses FCEUX core)
    NGP.emu (SNK Neogeo Pocket Color, uses Neopop core)
    PCE.emu (PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, uses Mednafen core)
    Snes9x EX (SNES/Super Famicom, uses Snes9x core)

    Let me know what you guys think. Note that I'll probably be skipping the refurbished $99 TouchPads on Sunday since I'd rather get one with a full warranty due to reliability issues I've had with previous devices (dead Pre 2, argh...).

    (To donate, use the link on the front page and write TouchPad somewhere in your message. I can convert your amount into App Catalog coupon codes for when the apps are released, see 3rd post)
    Your Snes port is awesome! Any plans on porting mame over with the icade controls?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    UAE4ALL port please
    + 1 ;-)
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !

Posting Permissions