1.    #1  
    So I have both a TouchPad and an iPad.

The iPad is used by the entire family and I basically use it only for iOS games not otherwise available on Android or webOS. The TouchPad is used only by myself (mainly have to keep it out of the kids hands due to its cheap build quality tbh, the iPad has stood up to more than a year of abuse from toddlers)

I am an old-school gamer but with my job and family responsibilities it's difficult to find the time to dedicate to core games like Elder Scrolls, even though I'm dying to put more hours into them.

I think it would be more plausible if I could play these games while sitting on the couch or otherwise in the midst of my family and not off in a corner locked to my desktop. (My wife enjoys just having me next to her on the couch, doesnt care if I'm playing 3DS or on my phone) I want to use Splashtop to stream the game from my desktop to my Touchpad, using my wireless 360 controller for input to the PC.

TL;DR: My only real question is whether or not Splashtop (over local WiFi) will provide an optimal, lag free experience when streaming game footage from my desktop to the Touchpad. I'm not going to bother if there are several hundred milliseconds of lag. Can anyone comment on their own personal experience with this?
    watching videos over splashtop lags for me even though im in the room next to it and the router is literally on the other side of the wall im leaning on. I didn't even want to try games after that
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by uprisingchuns View Post
    watching videos over splashtop lags for me even though im in the room next to it and the router is literally on the other side of the wall im leaning on. I didn't even want to try games after that
    That's really a shame considering all I use the Touchpad for is web browsing and OrbCaster before bed (still a steal at $99). Was really hoping to add this extra use to it because it's something that would make me pick up my Touchpad daily.
    nothing can do what you expect lagfree and totally responsive on any device.

some games like neverwinter2 and c&c etc work ok but suffer from keyboard delays using bluetooth making them frustrating to play as the keystrokes are queued just like the video and not prioritised higher.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 12/08/2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Splashtop works great on my TP for watching my Slingplayer on my PC. No problems at all.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    nothing can do what you expect lagfree and totally responsive on any device.

some games like neverwinter2 and c&c etc work ok but suffer from keyboard delays using bluetooth making them frustrating to play as the keystrokes are queued just like the video and not prioritised higher.
    The 360 controller would be communicating with the PC directly, so I would not have to worry about the client side of Splashtop intercepting and relaying any input. The main concern is the video streaming portion.

I would honestly just pay the $5 and give it a shot, but it's hard enough to find 1 to 2 hours to get everything installed and configured properly let alone the 1 to 2 hours I want to spend playing the games!
    I think Splashtop for gaming would be great and even better then using Onlive recent announcements for iPad and Android that kinda works.

Actually, what is amazing is how my Droid Bionic works much better on Onlive then my HP TouchPad dual-core and 10" of glory. Onlive for Android work on CM7, but has so many problems with display scaling and otherwise making the game practically unusable.

Splashtop though has some options if a keyboard and touch interface over WIFI was available for Mac or PC and then all Splashtop would have to do is provide display for gaming being controlled external. Wish I had access to some of these hybrid controllers that work at long distance or at least further then standard 4' most mouse and keyboards provide. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    The 360 controller would be communicating with the PC directly, so I would not have to worry about the client side of Splashtop intercepting and relaying any input. The main concern is the video streaming portion.

I would honestly just pay the $5 and give it a shot, but it's hard enough to find 1 to 2 hours to get everything installed and configured properly let alone the 1 to 2 hours I want to spend playing the games!
    If that's the case then it's going to depends on your WiFi quality. If you've got a good quality router, a relatively clear channel with little interference, and the PC is hard line to the router it could work for you.
    your pc will usually pump out 60fps minimum, thats a lot of data to throw around, so imagine your pc can throw that volume of data down a router thats able and fast enough to do so and your laughing.

Unfortunatly thats not the case for most of us so we tend to get whatever speeds the pc can throw into your router which is then beamed to our mobile devices, my fps looks more like 10-15, some things are playable, many arent, depends on the type of game and how badly its ripping your wifi to bits.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i was able to load up a steam game through my touchpad via splashtop.

but that is as far as i went, since i had no keyboard or mouse or gamepad.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I've not tried gaming, but I can confirm that I've used Splashtop to stream Hulu from my laptop to my Touchpad so that I could watch it on my bed (the laptop screen was on my desk and was still visible). There was a noticeable lag between the video playing on the laptop and it playing on the Touchpad--typically 1.5s or so. If your controller was plugged into the computer rather than the touchpad I imagine that would cause substantial input delay.

You might have better luck using a bluetooth PS3 controller paired with the TP, though. I'm not sure, I haven't tried it. Seems like you'll probably get a delay either way, though. $10 ($5 when I bought it) may be high for a webOS app but it's comparatively cheap for many professional remote access apps. You can't really expect instantaneous transmission of HD media (you are running on PC resolution, afterall, presumably for high-end gaming) across a wifi with a $10 program.
    <thread moved>
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    ive tried it with a few PC games and, the current TP keyboard w/out arrow keys can be difficult. THe homebrew instructions on moddin the kb might be more usefull. Other than that, over my wifi, i found almost zero lag while trying to play a graphics intensive game such as starcraft2. I tried some old school games like d2 (decent), and even wow(without keyboard is useless). Theres my brief demo. THe ipad version of splashtop as more controls a 3 fingered touch that brings up arrow keys.

is there a way to remotely access splashtop?