Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    I went and bought it. It's a fun little game, harder than it looks. It has sort of an arcade style feel to it which I like. If anyone is on the fence I'd say definitely go for it. It's worth the couple of dollars. :-)

Looking forward to the updates.
    like the look/idea of the random flashy lights eitehr side of the control panes, maybe have the arrows light up or flash if a ship/ship shots are in the direction the arrows point? or maybe thats too much of a trainer/easy mode for people not watching the action.
    @CrushCrumble: do you have any means to disable the webOS swipe-up gesture while in-game?

Last night I reached level 34 and was well set with a buzz-saw for the boss on 35 when things got a little frantic and one of my thumbs got close enough to the bottom edge of the screen that it thought I was trying swipe-up and it carded the game. When I tapped the card to return, I lost my edge and got overwhelmed quickly... I went for the buzz-saw at the last moment, but it was too late.

I know I can manually disable the swipe-up in Screen & Lock, but I use it all the time; having started with a Pre+, and now with a Pre3, the idea of a physical home button is lost on me.
  4.    #84  
    Hi All,

Just a note that I have decided to forgo the 1.2 release on the Touchpad in favor of a 1.3 release. Plan to submit it to HP later this week so it *should* be available next week.

@Johnson - well done getting to 34, My best is 36 so that is *really* great. Not sure I can deactivate that edge-swipe gesture... I can look into it but I haven't actually seen that happen myself. Is this always active or do you set this behavior up somewhere in the TP settings?
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/CrushC...350768?sk=wall
    Check out our arcade defense shooter:
    Battlestation: Quixotic for HP Touchpad
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...games.quixotic
    Quote Originally Posted by CrushCrumble View Post
    Just a note that I have decided to forgo the 1.2 release on the Touchpad in favor of a 1.3 release. Plan to submit it to HP later this week so it *should* be available next week.
    Awesome, looking forward to it.

@Johnson - well done getting to 34, My best is 36 so that is *really* great.
    I've been to 35 a couple of times since then, but haven't been able to beat the boss unaided - both times I got there I had no power-up and only about 50% hull. The time I got to 34 with the buzzsaw ready was the best chance I had to beat 35 and go on, but alas the inadvertant swipe-up got me.

Not sure I can deactivate that edge-swipe gesture... I can look into it but I haven't actually seen that happen myself. Is this always active or do you set this behavior up somewhere in the TP settings?
    It's in the Screen & Lock settings. If there's no means to disable or supress it during the game, I suppose I'll just have to get in the habit of manually disabling it prior to a Quixotic session. I'll check some of my other games to see if any of them disable the gesture - knowing that it's been done and by whom would be some help I imagine.
    Vector Conflict does disable the up-swipe in landscape, but not in portrait (it's a landscape game, so there's no reason to disable the portrait swipe). The game does use a swipe-up gesture in-game, though it was written for the Pre phones where a landscape swipe-up wouldn't normally mean anything.

Asphalt 5 and Hero of Sparta, also phone games, do not disable the swipe-up. So clearly whatever Vector Conflict does was on purpose, not just something the touchpad does automatically for a phone game; I don't know if they explicitly disabled it (odd, since that gesture didn't exist when it was written), or if it's a side-effect of using swipe-up for something else.

Asphalt 6 also does not.

That's all I tried for now, will post if I find any more.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Just bought this and posted a positive review. THere really should be more game/app reviews on the main page of this site. If not for this post I would have never known about it.
    I sent a note about it to webosnation through the "tip us" link, but I guess nothing came of it.
  9.    #89  
    Thanks guys (and gals) for all the continued support! You guys are seriously awesome. Good news... version 1.3 is officially in the bag. Plans are to submit it to HP Wednesday-Thursday to give me a couple of days to work on a new video and some new screenshots. I am very happy with how everything turned out. In the meantime, check out these comparison screens of the current verion (1.1) and the upcoming version (1.3). Let me know what you think.

Cheers.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CrushCrumble; 01/23/2012 at 12:24 AM.
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    geekpeter and MikeN68 like this.
    I really like the final look presented there. I didn't like some of the details in the previously posted WIP shots, but they weren't so horrible that I felt the need to comment (I don't want to be THAT guy who nitpicks everything). But this final version looks really good.

I have to admit I haven't played Quixotic for a week now... knowing what the next version has in store has made the existing version seem old! (take that as excitement for the new version, not as criticism of the old)
  11.    #91  
    Hi All,

Just a quick update that we plan to submit version 1.3 to HP tomorrow so if everything goes well it should be available early next week. Sorry that we are running a bit later than expected on this. We are now just waiting on the catalog translations to French and Spanish to be completed. The game will be renamed (last time, I promise) to Battlestation: Quixotic. You can check out our website for some updated screenshots.

Also, another cool thing should pop-up in the app catalog next week.

Cheers.
    Steve
    Last edited by CrushCrumble; 01/31/2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    Great game! Kicks my hind-end, but lots of fun. Left a review to that effect in the catalog as well.
  13.    #93  
    Version 1.3 released today. Enjoy!

Cheers.
    Steve
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    Grats! *hoping for a review on webosnation front page for you*

*hoping you end up in next month's featured apps too*
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    CrushCrumble likes this.
    Yikes, I can't even get to level 20 on 1.3. On 1.1 I was making it to (but not past) 35 on a regular basis, and it's certainly been a LONG time since I got snuffed before level 20. This new version seems very different and much harder.

Also, I find I'm having a hard time hitting the diagonal firing directions. I see you changed the firing graphics, but did you change the touch areas too? It seems like I have to move my thumb way out to the corner to go diagonal; if I just follow a smooth arc from the up direction to one of the side directions, the corner is missed. 1.1 wasn't like this.

The explosions are too big now. If I hit 3 or 4 ships, there's so much explosion all over the screen I can't see anything else. Some explosions also show below the control panel, somewhat distracting.

Did I complain enough?

I do very much like the reserve energy tank, though it's a bit harder than I imagined to get anything in there as the action seems ramped up in the early levels compared to 1.1.

The ships seem more adept at getting off a last shot before being destroyed, which hits the station if I stop firing too soon. I don't know if this was a purposeful change, or maybe just a side effect of some other change... but I like it. It increases the challenge without making it tedious.

I suppose I'll get used to 1.3, but for the moment I'm almost wishing for 1.1 back.
  16.    #96  
    This is why I like these forums so much because I get very good feedback both positive and negative and that is very important to me.

Ok...

After reading your post I fired up the game to double check some of the things you mentioned so I played a game through level 42, which is pretty close to my high on the TP version.

I did not notice any issues with the diagonal pads, they seem to be working fine to me. I didn't change the code for this and so the code should be identical to 1.1 (I'll check it out tomorrow though just to be sure). The control panel graphics have changed substantially though and I wonder if the new "bling" may be throwing you off a bit. I have played 1.3 quite a lot so I am used to the new design. I'd like to hear some more feedback from other folks on this one.

The explosions.. Yes, guilty on that one. I did increase the intensity of those just a bit. Keep in mind though that the background in 1.3 is more complex and much brighter than 1.1 so the combination is going to take some getting used to as well. I can scale the explosions back a bit if I need to in a maintenance release. The bottom panel did get clipped a pixel and some of the explosions can be seen on the very bottom line so I will certainly fix that.

The difficulty. The game does seem a bit faster to me as well so I checked some initial speed modifiers I apply and everything in the code looks to be the same as in 1.1 but I need to do a bit more investigating before I can say for sure. It's been quite a while since I played 1.1 so I'll load that up and compare the versions. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

The #1 issue that is brought up overall is that the game is very hard so selectable difficulty levels will be included in 1.4 which should be the final-ish version.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback as always. I hope you become comfortable with 1.3, to me it is a much better game overall but I have been playing the progressive versions so everything makes good sense to me but I imagine the leap from 1.1 to 1.3 will take some getting used to. As I recall, you were getting bored of the old version anyway.

Cheers.
    Steve
    Last edited by CrushCrumble; 02/08/2012 at 02:46 AM.
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    ill agree with johnsonx42 regarding the directional controls when keeping my finger on the dpad and mving around, i sometimes dont end up changing firing direction unless i remove my finger and place on the direction, tho this could just be me missing the correct part of the dpad when not looking directly at it when sliding my fingers as opposed to looking right at it when i actual place my fingers (im betting on just not seeing it right).

does idd look good tho
    Quote Originally Posted by CrushCrumble View Post
    ... so I played a game through level 42, which is pretty close to my high on the TP version.
    Show off!!!
    I like the new updates. I have never been awesome at the game. I'm lucky to make it to level 28 but I love the challenge. I have no complaints about the new version. I do have some suggestions:
    -More obvious effect when you get hit. I can't really tell the difference between a close call and a hit. I know it has a sound but it is not as easy to note when so much is going on. The ship blinks for a second but I just wish there was a better way to know that the panic button is needed.
    -Highest level made too. I like the score but the level to me is easier to keep track of and shoot to beat next time I play. So in addition to highest score on the main page I would love to see highest score.
    -After killing the boss you would think you would get some bonus. I guess life is the current gift.

Awesome game, great progress.
    CrushCrumble likes this.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    I like the new updates. I have never been awesome at the game. I'm lucky to make it to level 28 but I love the challenge. I have no complaints about the new version. I do have some suggestions:
    -More obvious effect when you get hit. I can't really tell the difference between a close call and a hit. I know it has a sound but it is not as easy to note when so much is going on. The ship blinks for a second but I just wish there was a better way to know that the panic button is needed.
    -Highest level made too. I like the score but the level to me is easier to keep track of and shoot to beat next time I play. So in addition to highest score on the main page I would love to see highest score.
    -After killing the boss you would think you would get some bonus. I guess life is the current gift.

Awesome game, great progress.
    All excellent ideas Speedy, I'll add this stuff to the 1.4 to-do list. The current bonus is that the enemy boss does have an elevated point value but what would you like to see? A bunch of warp-cores spawn in the aftermath of the boss explosion or maybe an immediate power-up? Higher point bonus? Think it over and let me know what you would like to see.

The planned road map for 1.4 so far...

Selectable difficulty
    Better boss bonuses
    Improved feedback when you are hit by an enemy
    Additional enemy ship type(s)
    Top 10 list (with level)
    Scale back explosion particles a bit

Possible:
    Online leader boards (I actually have a prototype of this working)
    Stackable power-ups (longshot at the moment but possible)

Let me what you guys (and gals) think.
    Cheers.
    Steve
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    geekpeter likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast