Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #61  
    @ arachnoman666 - Thank you very much for your support, very glad you like the game!

@ geekpeter - I share your love for those great old Amiga games. Battle Squadron and Xenon 2 were always two of my favorites... played the heck out of those back in the day. I have thought about doing a top-down scrolling shooter but it would have to be unique somehow. I'll certainly give it some thought. After I get Quixotic to where I want it to be (1.2 gets it very, very close) then after that, anything is possible.

@ All - A new WIP image, the station itself gets a little graphical love. I think it looks really cool now as it spins. Also, fixed the warp cores sometimes being in front of the control panel.

A little more testing then 1.2 should be in the bag. Yay!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/CrushC...350768?sk=wall
    Check out our arcade defense shooter:
    Battlestation: Quixotic for HP Touchpad
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...games.quixotic
    geekpeter likes this.
    do you plan on tidying/pimping up what you have now and moving to something new, or do you plan to say add in stuff like a survival mode of endless waves etc, i think that would suit some hardcore types as well.

also the laser temp things nice, but it looks combined for both laser beams, would it be stupid having both beams on seperate temp guages but each being more harsh than they are now?

I only say this as sometimes i dont even have to worry about the temp i just rotate around both the d/pads in a frenzy to pre-empt anything arriving to kill them early (just means i dont have to use my brain or eyes as i should).
    Last edited by geekpeter; 12/30/2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    I only say this as sometimes i dont even have to worry about the temp i just rotate around both the d/pads in a frenzy to pre-empt anything arriving to kill them early (just means i dont have to use my brain or eyes as i should).
    You can get away with that at times on the lower levels, but once you get to the higher levels, you'll find the firing temp gauge a much bigger concern. You will have to meter your fire at times to let the system cool down. As to separate gauges for the left and right side, that's up to CrushCrumble of course, but I would say that just because the firing system can be fired in two directions at once doesn't mean that there are two independent systems that would heat up separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    You can get away with that at times on the lower levels, but once you get to the higher levels, you'll find the firing temp gauge a much bigger concern. You will have to meter your fire at times to let the system cool down. As to separate gauges for the left and right side, that's up to CrushCrumble of course, but I would say that just because the firing system can be fired in two directions at once doesn't mean that there are two independent systems that would heat up separately.
    ill readily admit ive not reached your levels of excelence so far dragging down behidn you a noticable amount.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    new game ... lol and where is a sip client ?
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    do you plan on tidying/pimping up what you have now and moving to something new, or do you plan to say add in stuff like a survival mode of endless waves etc, i think that would suit some hardcore types as well.
    Hi Peter,

I think you guys are going to be very happy with v1.2. I think it really brings the visuals on par with the gameplay. We do intend to support Quixotic in the future but I don't have any specific plans past v1.2 at the moment.. I have some ideas but no solid plans as of yet.

I am now working on the design of our next game project which I should be able to start coding next week but whether this or any future titles make it onto the Touchpad is up in the air at the moment.

We needed to sell 2500 copies (@ $1.99) to cover our development costs but have only hit around 4% of our goal on the Touchpad this past month so our plans for future Touchpad development are currently on standby. The next two week's sales will be decisive in determining if we can afford to work on any new Touchpad projects. I am optimistic but at the end of the day, it is up to the community.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Best.
    Steve Williams
    CrushCrumble Games
    CrushCrumble. Games for Mobile Devices.

P.S. - A couple of new screenies from 1.2...
    Last edited by CrushCrumble; 12/30/2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    geekpeter likes this.
    some impressive eyegasm there, and yeah sales :| its hard i suppose trying to get peoples attention of certain apps and games, esp when the app cat isnt that great at showcasing new stuff (esp when it sends updated old apps to the top of "new") also the app cat should auto rate apps as 5 star as default, assuming people loved the app.

Theres more people who rant on the comments about an app sucking than returning ppl to comment that it was good, i know ive often looked at the odd app and seen the brief or confusing or limited description, with un-obvious pics and no youtube eyecandy to watch and avoided the apps unless there was some good ratings or comments.

Maybe WebOSNation should have their own section of the forums dedicated to reviews from an impartial user who knows his stuff and us normal people leave our comments on certain games or apps, more likely to get better reviews and information about said apps to WebOS users here than banking on the weak app catalogue.

TL/DR: Basically a lot of apps need more attention time for people to notice and buy them.
    People, get to tweeting. Let's get us some more games.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    @CrushCrumble: two things I'd suggest:

1) make periodic small updates to your game, to make it keep popping up on the new app list. even if the update does nothing more than fix some inconsquential bug, or change some minor graphic detail, it's important to keep the app looking fresh in the catalog. so far it seems that everyone who tries it likes it.

2) make at least one more game for the TouchPad before you give up on the TouchPad market (which hopefully you won't have to) - it doesn't look good to just have a single app in the catalog. Also, more apps means more ways for people to discover you, and the app catalog makes it easy for someone to see other apps by the same dev.
    Might want to throw a promo code over to the editors here, for a review, maybe do a little giveaway .. maybe to the Gumshoe guys, and webosroundup and even tabletsupportforum . . . how are the other platforms doing?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I have reached level 26, with a score of 151475. Someone (other than Mr. Williams) beat that!
    geekpeter likes this.
    i havent broken into lvl 20 yet, my eyes start to feel like a chameleon's, 1 looking 1 way the other the opposite
    I only bought this game because of this forum. I am very happy I did. This game is awesome! Thank you for reaching out for support on webOSnations!

I have left a 5 star review and this game does deserve it. It is fun and addictive. I am glad to see you take suggestions from others here. I have a few suggestions as I would love to see this quality development succeed.

1) A demo version with 5 levels goes a long way. The amount of levels is up to you but some kind of demo version to get people hooked is the key. I use to rely on demos before I would buy an app but have learned that often the few bucks is worth the risk. Many however rely on demos, reviews, etc.
    2) Periodic updates. Like Johnsonx42 suggest. This allows users to see the game in the app catalog. Our app catalog does a poor job and doesn't seem to show many apps so it is important to stay in the spot light.
    3) Include a follow me on Twitter or Fan us on facebook within the app. I would suggest on the front page or within the about game/how to play. Getting fans and followers is a great way to keep the customers feedback and up to date on future development including new apps for them to buy from you. I buy apps from developers I trust immediately.

Some updates I would suggest for the game are:
    1) High score board possibly local and online so I can show how much better than Johnsonx42 I am, LOL JK (I can only make it to like level 18 )
    Score board could include 3 digit initials (I think that is how old arcade scores were kept) level and score.
    2) A horde type game play where it is more about how long you can last knowing that doom is awaiting you.
    3) Being able to hold onto more than one power ups. There is room in the middle between the gun buttons. I don't know if this is just something where 1 power up being held is part of the retro style. I know that when I am getting bombarded and I know a boss is coming up I wish I could of held onto a few power ups.

Thanks for the great game. I am more than willing to give feedback and support. I hope to see many quality apps from you.
    I'm about the biggest fan of this game, and I find myself playing it more often than what they call the big "AAA" titles I've purchased recently (NOVA 2, Asphalt 5 and 6, Shrek Kart, etc.).

However... I'm starting to get a little tired of it honestly. I'm finding it more and more tedious to play through the first 10-15 levels which no longer matter to how far I get in the game later on. I can play perfectly or sloppy and I'll still have 90-100% hull strength going in to the upper teen levels where it gets serious. If I get lazy and take some hits in the lower levels, it doesn't matter because there are plenty of warp cores around to patch up the hull. There's no advantage to playing better because it doesn't change anything.

As I snooze through the first bunch of levels dutifully picking up warp cores even though my hull is always at 100%, I really wish I could save them for later when I might actually need them. How about adding a "reserve" energy storage that starts out empty but fills up as you collect warp cores beyond what are needed to repair the hull? To avoid the appearance of just being more hull strength, make the reserve energy repair the hull either slowly over time, or instantly but only between waves. So you could die with a full reserve energy tank due to taking too much damage too quickly or within a single wave.

That would be great incentive to play the lower levels just as intensely as the upper levels - better play means more reserve hull repair energy for later.

Also, I do find it a little frustrating that holding a power-up means I get no other powerups at all. I'm starting to get into the habit of just using them immediately regardless of situation, unless it's the perfect one I need for the next boss (supercannon or buzzsaw). The limit of holding a single power up seems fine, but it'd be better if other power-ups still appeared... then it'd be a choice of giving up the one being held for the new one.

Finally, possible bug - I'm not 100% sure, but the couple of times I've engaged a boss with the 'big bullet' power up it didn't seem to affect the boss ship much if at all. Every other ship practically self-immolates at the mere sight of the big bullet, but it seems to take just as long to kill a boss with it as it does the unaided cannon. I don't expect to kill a boss with one shot like the other ships of course, but the boss should take a lot more damage from the big bullet and be dispatched much easier.
    Agree with a lot of what Johnson points out. I too find it giving me hull in early levels when I have no use for them other than points. Would be nice to store than for later use.
    I love the idea of being able to get other powerups. Sure I would love to be able to have more than one but being able to still get others would be a decent trade off.
  16.    #76  
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I have been off the board lately, been recovering from a particularly bad cold. As always, I really love the the ideas you guys come up with and I am so glad that you care about the game and want to keep it fresh. I hope everybody feels they are getting their money's worth.

The original game concept did indeed have dual power-up slots that were located in the blank areas to the right and left of the current deploy button/pu timer but after playing a bit, I decided that I really wanted people to have to make a choice between holding on to a power-up and using it right away. Also, I felt the dual-timers were a little confusing. When I scaled back to a single power-up, I added the uber powerful Supercannon power-up to sort of make up for it and reduced the random timer max value to make the power-ups spawn more frequently. I do see where you guys are coming from on this but I'm not sure if I want to backtrack on this... I'll have to mull it over for a bit, Ok?

Maybe if you pick up a warp core when a power-up is engaged, perhaps that can add some additional time to the power-up? I do really like the idea of a hull-repair reservoir, I think that is a really cool idea. Sort of a "trickle-charger" idea. Hmmm... the purple cat is nodding his head in approval.

The next thing is the progressive difficulty. I think that most people instinctively try to play this game by tapping on the buttons to fire which makes the starting levels much harder than they actually are. I think once people figure out that you just slide your thumbs around the firing pads, the controls become very natural and the game becomes much easier to play. So I think that people still need those easier "basic training" levels when they are just starting out so I think that the easier-early level format should probably stay like it is... but... that brings me to an idea...

What do you guys think about adding an extra screen after you press the "start game" button where you can pick a level warp? So here's what I am thinking...

Level 1: No Bonus
    Level 7: 5000 Point Bonus
    Level 14: 10000 Point Bonus
    Level 21: 15000 Point Bonus
    Level 28: 25000 Point Bonus

Basically, this would put you against the boss for that level set right off the bat and if you make it past the level then you get the bonus. This would allow the advanced players to move past those easier levels without missing out on all those easy points.

I also like the idea that was mentioned of having some sort of a tournament mode that would just basically be a continuous onslaught without warp cores or power-ups.
    Let me know what you guys think.

The global leader board is a very good idea... yeah, that would be cool. I have considered this because I too am interested in just how good Johnson (and everybody else) is becoming at this game. I am going to look into adding one to the website.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah.. Powershot vs. Bosses... yes, you are right, that powerup has only a marginal effect on the bosses. The reason being is that usually when you fire a shot, the bullet is destroyed when it hits anything... enemies, their shots, etc. The powershot is a special titanium-tipped projectile that is not destroyed until it reaches the edge of the screen. It does't do any actual additional damage than a regular shot but will rip through a ship's hull because ships and bullets have to stay in their "lanes" so there is nothing to stop it from ripping a standard ship to shreds as it passes through them. The bosses on the other hand only stay in the firing "lane" for a short period of time so it is able to escape the full fury of the powershot.

...and there ya go.

Cheers.
    Steve Williams
    CrushCrumble Games
    Last edited by CrushCrumble; 01/05/2012 at 04:24 AM.
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrushCrumble View Post
    Sorry I have been off the board lately, been recovering from a particularly bad cold.
    I'm sorry to hear that, but glad you are feeling better.

Maybe if you pick up a warp core when a power-up is engaged, perhaps that can add some additional time to the power-up?
    Whether I like that or not I guess depends on how my hull is doing at the time, and whether I was just using the power-up to get rid of it or not.

I do really like the idea of a hull-repair reservoir, I think that is a really cool idea. Sort of a "trickle-charger" idea. Hmmm... the purple cat is nodding his head in approval.
    Oh, I do so like it when Piddles and I agree!

What do you guys think about adding an extra screen after you press the "start game" button where you can pick a level warp? So here's what I am thinking...

Level 1: No Bonus
    Level 7: 5000 Point Bonus
    Level 14: 10000 Point Bonus
    Level 21: 15000 Point Bonus
    Level 28: 25000 Point Bonus

Basically, this would put you against the boss for that level set right off the bat and if you make it past the level then you get the bonus. This would allow the advanced players to move past those easier levels without missing out on all those easy points.
    If you add a hull-repair reservoir that starts empty and needs to be filled up during the lower levels to extend play later, then I probably wouldn't use the level warp - the lower levels would be worth playing again. A level warp option couldn't hurt though, but I would say each level warp should be locked until the player beats that level naturally; for example I have been slaughtered repeatedly on level 28, but have yet to pass it - so the highest I ought to be able to warp is level 21.

I also like the idea that was mentioned of having some sort of a tournament mode that would just basically be a continuous onslaught without warp cores or power-ups. Let me know what you guys think.
    Why no warp cores or power ups in this mode? Those are a big part of the fun, and of the challenge as well; more than once I've picked the wrong moment to grab a warp core at the top of the screen, only to take far more damage than it repaired. Perhaps have two onslaught modes - regular onslaught which is just an endless regular level with power-ups, warp-cores where the difficulty increases steadily, and "Survival Onslaught" which would be an endless survival level - that way everyone is happy.

Oh yeah.. Powershot vs. Bosses... yes, you are right, that powerup has only a marginal effect on the bosses.
    If it's working as you intend, then that's fine; I love how well thought out this game is. I just thought maybe it was a bug, where the damage wasn't being calculated properly. The Powershot is still useful on boss levels, since it dispatches all the other bad guys so easily I can concentrate more fire on the boss.

So where are you at with 1.2? I know none of what we're talking about now will be in 1.2, but I'm still looking forward to the extra eye-candy upgrades
    geekpeter likes this.
    Just grabbed an iCade on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond at $49.99 and then used a 20% off coupon to bring it to $39.99. Can't beat that. I've heard reports that some Macy's stores have been slashing the price on it too.

I'm having fun with No Gravity on the WebOS side and MAME on the Android side, but I'd definitely like more games for the iCade. Will keep an eye on this one. The iCade support, if I understand correctly, is not currently implemented in the WebOS version of this game but will be in a future update?
  19.    #79  
    Hello,

I do plan to add iCade support to the Touchpad at some point in the future. Great score on the iCade at BB&B!

Attached is an updated screenie... seems to be a couple of new things in there...

Steve Williams
    CrushCrumble Games
    CrushCrumble. Games for Mobile Devices.
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    wow, that looks a lot like a reserve hull-repair energy gauge. I can't wait to try it out!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast