Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    lol, I found the Don Quixote connection puzzling at first too. But manning the last orbital defense station against the combined forces of 8 enemy fleets is a rather Quixotic quest, though certainly more fun than tilting at windmills!
  2.    #22  
    A literary game.. lol, that's very funny. I'm not exactly what you would call... "well read" individual... in fact I had to wiki up johnsonx's "tilting at windmills" reference (your reference to the name's origin is spot-on BTW). I'll be sure to avoid calling my next game Ivanhotic though. That would just be silly.

I did add a YouTube video link up in the top post where I mange to orate a stumbling yet passable (I hope) narrative of the game. Hopefully it will give you a better idea of what the game is about.

Thanks again for the support, I appreciate it more than I can say.

Cheers.
    Steve Williams
    CrushCrumbleGames
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/CrushC...350768?sk=wall
    Check out our arcade defense shooter:
    Battlestation: Quixotic for HP Touchpad
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...games.quixotic
    Make sure you do a meta-data update to include that video in the app catalog too!

OK, I'm going to get this now

Do you think it would be difficult to get keyboard support in there? I'm quite probably getting an iCade for the holiday, and there's really not much of anything that a TouchPad can do with an iCade at the moment, because most of the games don't support keyboard And there are probably a fair chunk of iCade and other bluetooth keyboard style controllers out there for iOS, so they'd appreciate that support also.

Also, a suggestion, perhaps you can make the background more extensive, and move it around, to simulate some kind of movement? One of those little tricks us game people like to use.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    keyboard support would be neat for this game... I might even get my TouchPad BT keyboard out of the box for that! WASD for the left hand, IJKL for the right hand. what keys does the iCade simulate?

can the keyboard and/or webOS handle 4 key presses at once? that would be needed to hit the angles on both sides.
    I think the iCade is configurable for just about any situation. What I'd probably consider for an initial config, is QWE/AD/ZXC for the left control, and OP[/L'/,./ for the right hand side.. something along those lines. I have a feeling you're right about it not being able to handle so many keys at once. Maybe I could write a quick web-app to test that.. hmm..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    i have a couple of questions actually:
    is this a game created for webos or is it a port?
    how long did it take for you to create or port it?

i'm probably one of the few here that don't play games on my touchpad (i have a wii, ps3, kinect and a computer for that) but if i were you i would have a lite version that has 1 or 2 levels for free to let people play it, i strongly suspect if the game is good enough you're sales would pick up a lot quicker that way, just my two cents
  7.    #27  
    I can surely look into adding keyboard support, probably would have to add some kind of configuration screen for that so it could be customized. I'll have to mull that one over.

I have added iCade support to the iPad version and I am confident I could add support to Touchpad as well... probably not going to make it into the 1.1 update though as that version is pretty much in the can right now and undergoing final testing for soon-ish release.

This game *really* needs 2 joysticks so the workaround I did for the iPad version is to map the 4 rightmost buttons as fire buttons... not a perfect solution but it does work. I may end up buying another iCade cabinet and modify it with a second joystick using those same 4 buttons just so I can play Quixotic in the most wickedly awesome way possible... who am I kidding? Of course I am going to do that!

A demo version is also possible. Time is an issue at the moment.

Cheers
    Steve Williams
    CrushCrumbleGames
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    The truly enterprising TouchPad arcade gamer would buy an HP Bluetooth Keyboard, tear it open and wire small arcade joysticks & buttons to the keyswitch lines. In fact that's precisely what I did when building my MAME cabinet- I pulled the controller out of cheap Logitech keyboard, painstakingly mapped the keyboard matrix, and then hooked up all my controls. Of course before that's viable on the TouchPad, more games need keyboard support.

As to the new update for Quixotic, I'm certainly looking forward to it.
    iCade support would be awesome... keyboard in general would be cool too

Also for anyone interested see this thread for a working controller...
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...hpad-pre2.html

Trying to figure out if I want to get an iCade or the controller... similar price, and I have a spare 16 gig TouchPad as a developer device that I would throw in the iCade...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    my app cat is acting up, I will buy the game soon, think it might be the bad public wifi at work
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by CrushCrumble View Post
    I can surely look into adding keyboard support, probably would have to add some kind of configuration screen for that so it could be customized. I'll have to mull that one over.

I have added iCade support to the iPad version and I am confident I could add support to Touchpad as well... probably not going to make it into the 1.1 update though as that version is pretty much in the can right now and undergoing final testing for soon-ish release.

This game *really* needs 2 joysticks so the workaround I did for the iPad version is to map the 4 rightmost buttons as fire buttons... not a perfect solution but it does work. I may end up buying another iCade cabinet and modify it with a second joystick using those same 4 buttons just so I can play Quixotic in the most wickedly awesome way possible... who am I kidding? Of course I am going to do that!

A demo version is also possible. Time is an issue at the moment.

Cheers
    Steve Williams
    CrushCrumbleGames
    Yeah, I would've configured it similarly. Going off to get this game right now hope sales are going well

... it requires holding the TouchPad upside down. Camera goes on top, home button on bottom.

... and this game is impossible. holy HARD batman.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  12.    #32  
    Hello,

We sold 14 copies in the first 10 days and have sold 7 copies in the last 3 days so things on that front seem to be improving a little bit.

Okay, now for the good news...

Version 1.1 has been submitted to HP for review. Changes include:

Upside-down issue has been fixed! Yay!
    Johnsonx42's suggestion of removing the dead zones between buttons has been implemented.
    Music now resumes properly from pause.
    Text formatting issue fixed in power-ups screen.
    More efficient collision system put in place.
    Artworked changed for Betair ship. Original artwork was too dark and sometimes hard to see. New ship is bright red with silver blades for wings.
    Gamma-Green Ramship renamed to Gamma-Green Snipership because it..er.. doesn't try to ram you. d'oh.
    Music and sound volume prefs now save and load correctly.
    Name for Touchpad version changed to Starstation: Quixotic.
    New, improved icon artwork.

I've been busy!

Also, check Newegg for iCade... they have them for $69.99 and it looks like FREE shipping too.
    Newegg.com - ION iCADE Atari Game Controller for iPad

Thank you!
    Steve Williams
    CrushCrumbleGames
    Steve Williams
    www.crushcrumble.com
    oohhh... The software manager said 1 update available, and I got so excited thinking quixotic had already updated... But no, it was just an update to Syllogithm's RDP client. Oh well, I can wait. HP seems pretty quick to approve updates.
    I'm going to buy that app (some time this week end)!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ... and this game is impossible. holy HARD batman.
    Bought last night right before bed... couldn't get past first level. Will need to play it more, I was getting better with the few games I played.
    Update is live
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Don't drink and game, dude...

Absolutely love this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Don't drink and game, dude...

Absolutely love this game.
    LOL
    <threads merged>
    reminds me a bit of an super updated version of S.D.I on my c64.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast