Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just got an email from Rovio stating Angry Birds Seasons Holiday Update has been release for iOS and Android. No love for WebOS it looks like.

I don't have my TP with me to check for updates, but it doesn't look good based on the email.
    Rio was just updated on Android yesterday.
    I just updated Seasons.
    I don't think Web OS is high on the priority list but I wouldn't rule it out for the TP versions.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    According to their own website:

Angry Birds Seasons: Wreck the Halls is now available for iOS, Android, and Mac, with an update for Symbian^3 following shortly.
    there is also an update for the chrome browser.

since the idea is that you get a level a day until Christmas it looks like they haven't bothered for WebOS (not much point releasing it in the middle of December given the theme).
    Last year, the Christmas version came a few days late but it did come.
    Lot has changed from last year but since Rovio has the HD versions for the TP, maybe we'll luck out.
    I love the Christmas music on the new Seasons version on Android.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Two weeks ago I have opened a support ticket at Rovio's site about not updating Angry Birds (Rio is one update behind, Seasons already two - if I remember correctly). This is the answer I got:
    thank you for the feedback and suggestions!
    Please note that we do not answer questions about coming updates and release dates.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Just contacted Rovio on their website and Twitter, and would suggest anyone else reading this thread do the same.
    Was just about to post about this. Would love to see updates (especially to Rio since it's not complete!).
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm afraid they will not come with any new webOS updates anymore. Why would do support a (nearly) dead platform...
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I'm afraid they will not come with any new webOS updates anymore. Why would do support a (nearly) dead platform...
    probably with the same reason things like Splashtop, Picsel and Zinio are still updating (and more bigger titles)?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt it. Or have Rovio announced updates...?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    probably with the same reason things like Splashtop, Picsel and Zinio are still updating (and more bigger titles)?
    More bigger titles like Facebook and the Amazon Kindle? They don't even update their apps and Amazon won't even admit there's a Kindle app on WebOS. I wouldn't say the Splashtop devs are all in, because they have a Splashtop Pro app for Android and IOS but no WebOS version. Zinio is great but I can say that I don't know another single person that owns a tablet that even knows what Splashtop or Office Smart is and I'm around a lot of people with tablets because I work for a wireless carrier. I looked through the top 300 paid apps on Android and couldn't find any apps that are also on the Touchpad, besides Quickoffice Pro, Evernote, and some games. The top devs just aren't creating for WebOS.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Because they [Rovio] said that it took them two hours to port Angry Birds to webOS. A story about that was featured on HP's developer pages (to show how easy it is to port iOS apps to webOS), but I cant' find it anymore.

EDIT:

Interviewing the Mighty Eagle of Angry Birds as he publishes the game to webOS
    contains a link about how shocking simple it was actually to port the game to webOS, but it is not working anymore.

heise's IT newsticker also mentioned this: GDC: Angry Birds und der Siegeszug der App-Spiele (German): ... Besonders einfach war die Umsetzung auf das Palm Pre, die laut Vesterbacka nur zwei Stunden dauerte ... (especially easy was the port to the Palm Pre which took only two hours, according to Vesterbacka [Peter, Rovio]) - there's also a thread about this on precentral: GDC: Porting Angry Birds for webOS took two hours
    Last edited by T-Pad; 12/06/2011 at 06:54 AM.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Astraware still showing some love for webOS.
    From a recent interview:
    You still support webOS, what is your view on its potential sale or discontinuation?

We've made a small but steady revenue from webOS, so it makes sense to maintain it.
    We figured that the recent purchases of the HP TouchPad in their big sale would mean that there might be a target audience for a few more tablet sized games for a while.
    At the moment it doesn't look like there's a secure long term future from the HP side, but you never know what might happen.
    Because it's native C++ development, we're able to support webOS relatively easily alongside development for Android and iOS, so it isn't an expensive choice for us.

I may have to buy something from them to show appreciation.
    jeanjean likes this.
    The top devs just aren't creating for WebOS.
    As always... But most of those apps are media consumption apps, so they only take care on developing for the big two (three, if Microsoft pays), but I highly doubt they really are interested in mobile development at all (mostly because they are ad driven services).

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Astraware still showing some love for webOS.
    From a recent interview:
    You still support webOS, what is your view on its potential sale or discontinuation?

We've made a small but steady revenue from webOS, so it makes sense to maintain it.
    We figured that the recent purchases of the HP TouchPad in their big sale would mean that there might be a target audience for a few more tablet sized games for a while.
    At the moment it doesn't look like there's a secure long term future from the HP side, but you never know what might happen.
    Because it's native C++ development, we're able to support webOS relatively easily alongside development for Android and iOS, so it isn't an expensive choice for us.

I may have to buy something from them to show appreciation.
    Thanks! We weren't sure whether we would be able to support Touchpad. As we're based in the UK, it's been very difficult to get our hands on hardware, but we have managed to get a Touchpad now, so we're going to dip our toe in to the webOS big screen waters and see what happens!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astraware View Post
    Thanks! We weren't sure whether we would be able to support Touchpad. As we're based in the UK, it's been very difficult to get our hands on hardware, but we have managed to get a Touchpad now, so we're going to dip our toe in to the webOS big screen waters and see what happens!
    Please do. I'll buy everything you publish
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    As always... But most of those apps are media consumption apps, so they only take care on developing for the big two (three, if Microsoft pays), but I highly doubt they really are interested in mobile development at all (mostly because they are ad driven services).
    Media consumption apps are free on Android. I know that's weird where most media consumption apps cost money on WebOS, but the Android devs hook you in with the app, hoping you spend money. 26 of the top 50 apps are regular apps with not one selling media, the rest are games, and not one of them are ad-driven. You are thinking about the free apps for the ad-driven ones and even those usually are just the free version of the paid app to give you a way to try out the apps for awhile, which I wish HP or the Touchpad app devs would do so you can try out apps first.
    Last edited by kalel33; 12/07/2011 at 02:33 AM.
    But at least we do have high-quality consumption apps. I mean, look at Graphite. Have you ever seen a more beautiful and integrated Twitter-app? I've seen a lot of them and Graphite is just a God among them IMHO.
    So we may miss some big media consumption apps, but at least we do have high-quality social media apps.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    How about to support the customer who paid the same good money for the product as everyone else, regardless of what platform they're on? A little good will goes a long way. It could make the difference between keeping or losing a good number of customers when and if webOS is buried for good and we all eventually have to switch to iOS, Android, etc.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    How about to support the customer who paid the same good money for the product as everyone else, regardless of what platform they're on? A little good will goes a long way. It could make the difference between keeping or losing a good number of customers when and if webOS is buried for good and we all eventually have to switch to iOS, Android, etc.
    Agreed. I got that same stonewalling "we don't announce future plans" non-answer on Twitter to my question about WebOS updates.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast