Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rretsiem
  • 1 Post By rretsiem
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I develop Headlines2 for a while now and I'm nearly finished. I hope I can submit it at the end of this week to the HP AppCatalog.

Headlines2 is a News & Feed Reader for the HP TouchPad. While Headlines(1) is and was only for phones and only give you access to Google News topics of your choice on the go. The successor additionally let you read RSS feeds.
    It's completely rewritten and strictly for the TouchPad. Brings a lot of new features and of course the well-known sharing functions in a new way from Headlines1.

That's enough for now, I let the pictures and videos speak ;-)

And a video of how we read an article and change to prev/next one while reading.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frRf1RVlVfU[/YT]

If you like what you see, feel free to leave a post here :-)
    spud101 likes this.
    Can you set it to download content for offline reading on a schedule?
  3.    #3  
    Yes and Yes :-)

All your enabled categories and feeds can be set to update every n hours in the background.
    Offline-Reading is also possible, however, I don't store the images in RSS-Feeds, only the text is saved, so images aren't available when offline. But that is not a deal-breaker I think ;-)
    Courousant likes this.
    Nice looking app.

Let us know when its in the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I really can't wait much longer anymore until this finally hits the app catalog. All those teasers (here and on Google+ or twitter) are just too much
    Looks awesome. I was just looking for a good RSS app. Looking forward to it.
    Looks very nice, BUT, I currently use Google Reader to organize my feeds, and Feedly on my PC for reading my feeds. I would rather not have to set up and manage a separate list of rss feeds. Any chance you could add the ability to use Headlines 2 as a Google Reader reader?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Any chance you could add the ability to use Headlines 2 as a Google Reader reader?
    I really thought about that while I'm planning Headlines2. But I decided not to integrate Google Reader support for now.
    For now means, as long as Google doesn't provide a reliable and really useable API for the Google Reader I won't develop. All the current apps out there are only "scraping" the GoogleReader site more or less.
    I won't go that way.
    If Google changes anything or decides to stop a server, like it's happened with the Google Translator API the whole business model relying on such an API is killed within seconds.

But if there ever will be a API available I really would like to integrate it instead of the manually managed feeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    I really thought about that while I'm planning Headlines2. But I decided not to integrate Google Reader support for now.
    For now means, as long as Google doesn't provide a reliable and really useable API for the Google Reader I won't develop. All the current apps out there are only "scraping" the GoogleReader site more or less.
    I won't go that way.
    If Google changes anything or decides to stop a server, like it's happened with the Google Translator API the whole business model relying on such an API is killed within seconds.

But if there ever will be a API available I really would like to integrate it instead of the manually managed feeds.
    Thanks for you thoughtful reply. I understand where you are coming from. The way I see it, if you were to add Google Reader support, along with your current features, and Google Reader was to go away, the user could continue using Headlines 2 -- he would only have to export his feeds from Google Reader and import them into Headlines 2. Without Google Reader support, you may never attract those users, such as me.

I really don't like the idea of maintaining separate rss feed lists on each of my devices, that's why I chose Google Reader for managing my lists. Your app looks amazing, but I won't even try it without Google Reader support.

Just my two cents.