Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    startup in 12; gps location in 30. I think the old app wouldn't load until it had some idea where you were. The new one seems to default to the last known position or city and then after gps acquired it jumps to the right location. If you tap the locate me icon it will say "position unknown" or something like that until it figures it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    That's right that worked before. Now Back-swipe is always -> Card view
    It does back me out - but also drops to card view. The way you describe it sounds like it just goes to cardview without backing out of the menu - but that's not what you mean is it?

Try this. Go to the Options menu and then click the Road/Satellite/Bird'sEye and then back swipe - on my 1.4.5.1 VZW it jumps back to the map and is NOT in card view. This is the only case where it doesn't jump to card view that I know of.
    They are probably trying to reduce/eliminate the reliance on hardware buttons/controls to interact with future webOS apps and the possibility of unifying the interaction modes on all form factors.

With the update to maps, other than going back to the card view (home), you wouldn't need a hardware based gesture area. Something that was solved on the touchpad with the up-gesture for going to the card view by utilizing pixels from the screen.

This is actually an encouraging sign that the webOS development team has a clear direction for enabling Enyo apps (future webOS apps) work on generic devices i.e. no gesture area.

Thinking about it, the sash style of closing the view by sliding over the view is essentially a back swipe, but on the screen. This seems to me a more intuitive user experience than the back gesture where the gesture doesn't allows correspond to the intended action (most touch-based platforms also failed in this area). The views can also be closed by clicking on the drag area.

The back/gesture then because redundant and a larger realestate becomes available for the screen on future devices.

In my mind the only remaining puzzle is how they will manage to replicate the "long swipe" on the gesture area for switching apps.

I understand how some of the other issues can be annoying. Right now, I know searches from "Just Type" now works and are pre-populated and that was not working before.

I hope they fix the links to maps at least links to "bing maps".

Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    wow this is ridiculous. This update addressed none of the issues I had with the app. In fact, all I noticed is that if you are in a menu (or panel or whatever they call it in enyo), and you do a back swipe gesture, instead of going back to the map, it backs all the way out to card view. I know for a fact this worked correctly in the previous version before the update. What a stupid "feature." Why would they prevent back gesture from doing what it is supposed to do? It worked perfectly previously: you could do the back gesture, or if you want to do the new enyo way you could pull the panel back. Now you can only do it one way. Stupid.

All the original issues still remain: clicking on a link to a map in e-mail doesn't prepopulate Maps, you can't click on a dot to get the directions at that point, etc...

I seriously don't even understand what is going on over there at HP. Are they going out of their way to make things bad?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Bing maps is a disaster. First: You CAN'T ENTER ACCENTED CHARACTERS, unless you copy text from some other app. Second: It doesn't find any addresses in Poland, fails 50% of the time for Swedish addresses ("Results not found"). So, no more navigation with my Pre2... So if you are about to travel outside the US, bring some other device for nav.
    By the way, this is after the recent update = no change.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    Has anyone out there been able to paste text in the search bar of Maps on the Touchpad? I can do it on the pre3 but hitting paste does nothing on the TP.

Baldric

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Since HP doesn't really care any longer, where do you guys suppose we could post our feedback on this app? Microsoft?
    Ideas?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    They are probably trying to reduce/eliminate the reliance on hardware buttons/controls to interact with future webOS apps and the possibility of unifying the interaction modes on all form factors.

With the update to maps, other than going back to the card view (home), you wouldn't need a hardware based gesture area. Something that was solved on the touchpad with the up-gesture for going to the card view by utilizing pixels from the screen.

This is actually an encouraging sign that the webOS development team has a clear direction for enabling Enyo apps (future webOS apps) work on generic devices i.e. no gesture area.

Thinking about it, the sash style of closing the view by sliding over the view is essentially a back swipe, but on the screen. This seems to me a more intuitive user experience than the back gesture where the gesture doesn't allows correspond to the intended action (most touch-based platforms also failed in this area). The views can also be closed by clicking on the drag area.

The back/gesture then because redundant and a larger realestate becomes available for the screen on future devices.

In my mind the only remaining puzzle is how they will manage to replicate the "long swipe" on the gesture area for switching apps.

I understand how some of the other issues can be annoying. Right now, I know searches from "Just Type" now works and are pre-populated and that was not working before.

I hope they fix the links to maps at least links to "bing maps".
    while I understand the desire for a unified interface, the reality is that on phones, 99% of the apps are designed the old way, using the back gesture. What bothers me is that they actually went in and removed it as an option. I'm sorry but, there are no webos phones out without the back gesture, so the fact is its there, and I use it all the time. Why not at least keep it as an option until everything is done the new way. Honestly this sort of thing bugs the crap out of me, and considering webos is all but dead, I don't see the point: let me use my back gesture. Now I have one app on my phone that is totally different from the rest... And it didn't even begin its life that way. Instead of fixing the bugs, a developer actually spent time and was paid to remove something that didn't even need to be removed (and I still feel shouldn't be removed on phones). That's the problem. Although I see where you are coming from.
    this App can't search street adress in Czech Republic.
    Praha, Zenklova - does not work
    Prague, Zenkelova - does not work
    Berlin, Bodestrasse - works (Germany)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12