1.    #1  
    OK, so, I've decided that I'm going to be sending one of my TouchPads to my daughter, 10 years old, and her mother, who live in a rural part of the southern US, where Internet access is not ubiquitous, but will be available at least occasionally. Their existing computer equipment is mostly in the classification of "ancient" by today's standards, and I can't really afford to buy them a nice computer, so I'm going to give them a nice tablet, instead.

I would like suggestions for apps to load onto the device, as well as other media - I'll be mining Amazon's Kindle store for ebooks, as well as loading a lot of other ebooks onto the device, as well as photos, music, and other things. I'm not really familiar with things that 10 year olds like, or things that women might find useful, or with apps that are particularly useful without an internet connection. I'm also not really familiar with a lot of pay-for stuff, and although I don't have a problem paying for apps, I don't want to buy a bunch of turds mining the catalog for things that they might like.

So, since you guys all use apps, I'd like to hear some suggestions from you. Any ideas for these two demographics? Daughter is 10 years old, her mother is.. 40-something, and I am utterly clueless. App suggestions, book/media suggestions, etc, all welcome.

Thanks!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Make sure to update, id grab some "extremeguards" off ebay and maybe the hp rubber cases for protection. A few sellers selling the touchstones cheap on ebay as well if that is an option (all add up $$)

Set BOTH tp's up with the same webos login account and you only have to buy the app's one time, it is FREE on the second TP.. If you setup the first then login the second after all has been installed and updated then the extra app's will just be there on first login. If you have both already logged in, no worries.. on any paid app's in the app market they will just be listed as "free" for the second TP on the account.

Software to load iMO
    • Angry Birds HD
    • Solitaire
    • TuneIn Radio
    • 7digital MP3
    • Video Flood HD
    • Simple Clock - This can replace ANY alarm clock and can be used in Exhibition mode and is sweet, dual alarm clocks can play mp3 or typical alarms shows local weather and time (great in the touchstone dock)
    • Dictionary Plus
    • Khan Academy
    • USA today, New York Times (if either read)
    • Epicurious(for the mother if she cooks)
    • Zinio (if either reads magazines or will get them)
    • White pages
    • Box.net (free 50gb online storage)

If your daughters mother logs in from work there is a .99c Remote Desktop Client, or better yet SplashTop remote.. but if she is interested in this she can always buy later ;P She can login to any work email via the stock email client w/o any extras anyway. SmartOffice is way better than the stock quickoffice HD, but again at 9.99 not sure how far you want to go..
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/13/2011 at 11:39 PM.
  3.    #3  
    I'd like to get them a touchstone, but at the moment, I think I can probably better spend $40 on other things to make it more useful for them.

Some things I did install already:

BrainPOP, Khan Academy, Blackboard, Dictionary Plus, Flivr, TuneIn, QR Decoder, Just Draw, iFixIt, WeatherBug, FlashCards, Music Player Remix, TapNote, Zinio, Epicurious, iCookbook, APotD, iCuteOverload, Cute n Cuddly Backgrounds, Britannica Kids Solar System, Robotek, Bug Village, Takeover, Blobbers, ChainReaction, Code Breaker, Angry Birds, Sparkle, Slice It, Atlantis Sky Patrol, Beyond Ynth, Solitaire Universe, Halloween Artist, Kindle Import ...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I wouldn't login with the same account since synergy would be shared, wich is in my opinion not a really good thing (shared contacts, messaging, emails and all). But suit yourself if it doesn't matter

As for Apps, I strongly suggest Communities if they go to forums a lot. And for a 10 y/o it's in my opinion easier to use than a website.

Also Nomnomnom for RSS feeds through Google Reader, or Sea Bird 3 if they don't use GR. It's a good way to stay informed once you know how to add feeds (though now they have search functions). Again, better than plain websites.

Now I think you might like Translator HD and Dictionnary Plus (free) to translate from different languages and lookup for words. They need an internet connection, but if you search well there are offline dics in the app cat. For instance, TranGo+ for translations and Offline Dict, but they are paid apps.

For medias I would suggest Kalemsoft Media Player which is a really good video player worth its money. You could also add one or two movies or tv show that they might like, preloaded so they can see where to put their and how to load them. It's also nice to have a movie or two as a gift Think about Music Player Remix for music. A must have for a lot of people.

Gemini File Manager could be used by your wife to edit files on their TP, like deleting videos, pdfs, text files and all. Or other file related stuffs.

Localscope is a good way to find a place or a person. It accesses search engines to find what you're looking for depending on the location you setup. Then displays it from the closest to the farther.

Advanced HTML email is really nice for both you daughter and your wife: it allows you to create beatifull emails with designed texts and layouts (background...). Excellent for creativity and fun

Weather Dashboard is a tiny app that loads automatically in the notification area and displays weather depending on the location you setup. Must have in my opinion

Listed is a free ToDo app. Very well done.

Voice Recorder is a free... Voice recorder. Both usefull and fun for 10 y/o.

And finally, an app that I didn't tested but wich seems nice for a kid is Amplitude, which allows you to create music with a selection of beats and samples. Seems easy to use. Check it out.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    I wouldn't login with the same account since synergy would be shared, wich is in my opinion not a really good thing (shared contacts, messaging, emails and all). But suit yourself if it doesn't matter
    On second TP just delete the accounts and install the accounts you want, they won't be shared. When you first boot the second and login it will import the synergy items as you noted but then just delete any on the second device you don't want.. I've done this it works fine. My wife and I have a pair on the same account and my two kids are getting them for xmas w/ a shared webos ID. Keep in mind this only works with TP's not phones.. ONLY 1 phone per webos account.
    I'm glad I opened this thread. I didn't know the Khan Academy app existed.

Music remix might be nice to put on there.
    Touch Vol is good (it's on my launcher bar)
    I think Glyder and Glow Hockey are fun
    Slideshow presentation is a little involved to set up, but nice, once tweaked.

Internet access is necessary, but BFG Maps is great and Touch Surf, a browser launcher, allows for customization of bookmarks. The categories and websites can be changed to ones you think she might use and like. That app is also on my launcher bar.

I have a couple of firesale TPs which I'm giving to out-of-state relatives for xmas. I'll start them off with my webos account, and delete my email account on theirs.
    I created a google.sites page with links to TP related info/help and other stuff in large fat-finger type for their and my benefit. That page is bookmarked in the TP browser and on Touch Surf, and I can update the site after they receive the gifts.

I'm thinking if you both have the same webOS account, then her own box.net account (the TP sync account) wouldn't be an option.
    Last edited by gergev; 11/14/2011 at 06:42 AM.
    If you share the same account you won't get another Box.net account but if you only recently setup your account you may have an invite for an account that you could use for them.

I set up a TP for my sister's family and the only apps I bought up front (wasn't sure what they would want) were Gemini File Manager and Splashtop. If they don't have wireless at home, then I doubt they will be using Splashtop to connect the computer and the TP.

You definitely need to get them a good file manager though so either Gemini ($2.99) or Tegi's Commander (free)--Gemini has more features. I actually use both on my TP.

I would load it with apps that don't require the internet to use/play. If you are going to use the Kindle app, set it up ahead of time so it is ready to go. You will also want to make sure they can get access to either Calibre for their computer or the kindleSide.bat file (you might put those on a CD or flash drive so they can load them on their computer easily). Then they (or you before you send it) can use Kindle Import to get books into the Amazon app.

Quell is not very expensive and is addictive (HP app catalog)--your daughter might like that.

For free apps, you might look at the following:
    - Angry Birds HD
    - Just Draw
    - Simple Paint
    - one of the free camera apps (DigiCamera Lite or FreeCam for TouchPad) in case they don't like the included app
    - AudiophileHD so they have another music player option
    - a flashlight app (like Power Flashlight)
    - Crossword Light2
    - a Sudoku app (Enjoy Suduko/Enjoy Daily is free)
    - Code Breaker
    - card games (Freecell, Solitaire, Pyramid)
    - AudioScape
    - Brain Cube HD
    - Voice Recorder
    - Kindle Import (in Preware--need if you are going to sideload any books for Amazon)
    - WiFi TP File Browser (in Preware) so they can transfer files from other computers to the TP when they do have internet access
    - Add Launcher Tabs (Preware)--will give them two more tabs to organize their apps
    - Preware

I would be careful with apps from Preware that you add--make sure they are really stable (Kindle Import, WiFi TP File Browser, and Add Launcher tabs are) so they don't have to fool around with it too much (unless they like to!).

I'm sure your daughter will love whatever you put on there because of the novelty of having a TouchPad!!!
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I agree with elsie2, be careful because a lot of apps need internet to work. I have been surprised. At home things work fine and then away they don't because poor or no wifi.

I'll check to see which of our favs work off-line and post them later.
    totally overthinking this

they are going to use it for Angry Birds .... so put that on there and let them find their own apps if they want
  10.    #10  
    Hehe. I want to encourage the little one to learn but I don't want to stick her with an angry birds device. She might never do anything else with it!!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!