Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I was searching around to see if the Kindle app was going to get an update to be able to get magazine subscriptions any time soon. I discovered that Amazon has already updated the app to do magazines through the app for Android and IOS but not for WebOS. Zinio is great but I wanted Amazon for two reasons:

1.) Cheaper subscriptions on all the magazines I looked at.

2.) With the Kindle app, if I open up a book or a magazine then I'll be back right where I left off from.

If WebOS is going to get left out in the cold on a update then I might actually have to break down and add CM7 onto my Touchpad. I can still get Zinio over there for the magazine subscription I already have. I even checked the Kindle app on my phone and verified the magazine option. Plus, they updated the app so that you can purchase subs or books through the app itself, instead of being sent to a web page like you do on WebOS.

The app is so much more capable on Android. Has Amazon given up on WebOS too?
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I was searching around to see if the Kindle app was going to get an update to be able to get magazine subscriptions any time soon. I discovered that Amazon has already updated the app to do magazines through the app for Android and IOS but not for WebOS. Zinio is great but I wanted Amazon for two reasons:

2.) With the Kindle app, if I open up a book or a magazine then I'll be back right where I left off from.

If WebOS is going to get left out in the cold on a update then I might actually have to break down and add CM7 onto my Touchpad. I can still get Zinio over there for the magazine subscription I already have. I even checked the Kindle app on my phone and verified the magazine option. Plus, they updated the app so that you can purchase subs or books through the app itself, instead of being sent to a web page like you do on WebOS.

If people are asking for support/updates such as this (via email or phone) they will be much more likely to update... I have already put in a request myself... remember we live in a supply and demand world.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I really wouldn't hold your breath on any of the major companies updating there apps, they have bigger fish to fry, it's not worth it to them, especially for a free app that's also on android/iOS.

It seems the only people still updating are small companies like KalemSoft and individual people (ex: MangaReader HD, Comicshelf).
    You should probably contact both Amazon -and- HP about this. They are both responsible for the Kindle app.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    I really wouldn't hold your breath on any of the major companies updating there apps, they have bigger fish to fry, it's not worth it to them, especially for a free app that's also on android/iOS.

It seems the only people still updating are small companies like KalemSoft and individual people (ex: MangaReader HD, Comicshelf).
    For as little effort as it takes to port apps or update current it is well worth the potential.. I mean a million touchpads and even more smartphones isn't something to ignore even if HP's undecided on its future. These are not incredibly complex apps so the ROI is still there... for now. Again.. the avg end user was after a e-reader on steriods worst case, best case a ipad replacement.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    For as little effort as it takes to port apps or update current it is well worth the potential.. I mean a million touchpads and even more smartphones isn't something to ignore even if HP's undecided on its future. These are not incredibly complex apps so the ROI is still there... for now. Again.. the avg end user was after a e-reader on steriods worst case, best case a ipad replacement.
    If you narrow it down to the number of people who only have a webOS device and nothing else, the number gets a lot smaller.
    I'd noted that Amazon Kindle Beta v0.12.50 is the latest version, which was spotted in a 3.0.4 ROM, hints at further development - well for those areas that the Kindle app is released in anyways.
    I did see that someone who received a 2nd run firesale touchpad from hp in september claimed that they received their touchpad with kindle v0.12.50 already on it, and the beta tag was removed. It got little attention though, so I chalked it up to a hoax. I'd like to be wrong though.

Also, why no kindle for phones? I happily read several books on my Pre+ with the book store app it had (the one that was never updated and wouldn't work with webOS 2.1, I forgot what it was called), small screen and all, and would like to do the same on Pre3. Of course, the answer as to why it's not available for phones is the same answer as pretty much why anything else isn't availble for any given webOS device: Apothe****er.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I called and emailed Amazon, their answer was the Touchpad app does not do magazine subscriptions and there is no plans for an update to allow it to do magazines. Guess Amazon has given up on the Touchpad.
    Bug HP about it, too.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Guess Amazon has given up on the Touchpad.
    Amazon said HP did it first.
    kalel33 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    seems the only people still updating are small companies like KalemSoft and individual people (ex: MangaReader HD, Comicshelf).
    Don't forget Grooveshark, Adobe (Reader), Picsel, Glu Mobile, Splashtop and Zinio.
    Those are not that small and still give updates. In fact, Grooveshark even did a major update by making their app fullscreen on TP a few days ago.

Also, major new apps get released too like G+ Preview and Zinio.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Don't forget Grooveshark, Adobe (Reader), Picsel, Glu Mobile, Splashtop and Zinio.
    Those are not that small and still give updates. In fact, Grooveshark even did a major update by making their app fullscreen on TP a few days ago.

Also, major new apps get released too like G+ Preview and Zinio.
    Gplus preview is by the dev who made advanced browser and is not a major app by any means.
    This wasn't meant to diminish anyone’s work or effort in coding. Simply stating for the time involved, resources dedicated to get this app working it would see the return. I'd estimate 90% or better would install this app and if it had access to video, music and ebook's it would be heavily used by most.
    I wish they would update it to allow you to copy books to it (sideloading) I know we have a solution but would be nice for Amazon to include it officially]
    with their own fire tablet out now i doubt their gonna rush out to make anything more for other tablets, android the exception as their own fire uses it.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    with their own fire tablet out now i doubt their gonna rush out to make anything more for other tablets, android the exception as their own fire uses it.
    The number of Touchpad owners is just way to small to make Amazon remotely interested.

Any number less than one million is just small potatoes for Amazon.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    I wish they would update it to allow you to copy books to it (sideloading) I know we have a solution but would be nice for Amazon to include it officially]
    Official support for kindle apps sideloading through their document conversion service is planned. This is from an email I received from Amazon last month.

As a past user of the Kindle Personal Documents Service, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements: • Your documents are now automatically archived in your Kindle library (you can control this from the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle). • Archived documents can be re-downloaded from your archive to the all-new Kindle and Kindle Touch devices, as well as Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation--requires the latest software update v3.3 from www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) – you will be able to find and download your documents from any of these devices that are registered to your account. • Now (just as with Kindle books) Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for your documents (with the exception of PDFs) across devices. We expect to extend these features to Kindle Fire and Kindle apps (such as Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for Mac) in the coming months.

I'm using the kindle app and at least with media off amazon.com it always opens where I left off allows bookmarks, allows notes, can search, can change font's and sizes it actually works quite well buying media off amazon and it just sync's up in the TP's library and you can even make categories to help sort your library.

PS I can even read on one touchpad, close it.. go to my other touchpad and it will be right where I left off as long as I'm online. I use the same kindle login on both touchpads.. which is important. As joe notes in the above post 'wispersnyc' is the key.

It would be cool to have access to a 3d store environment in a typical webos view, but you go into the kindle app click on 'kindle store' and it launches the browser and you are on the basic web site.. search and buy what you want and it immediatly shows up on your TP's amazon Library (in all your linked devices). I'm use to it now, so it works pretty good.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/26/2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I'm using the kindle app and at least with media off amazon it always opens where I left off allows bookmarks, allows notes, can search, can change font's and sizes it actually works quite well buying media off amazon and it just sync's up in the TP's library and you can even make categories to help sort your library.

PS I can even read on one touchpad, close it.. go to my other touchpad and it will be right where I left off as long as I'm online. I use the same kindle login on both touchpads.. which is important.
    But it can't do it with magazines, because they haven't updated the app to be able to read magazines like they did with the update to IOS and Android. That was the point of my original question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast