1.    #1  
    I’m having trouble with this app. I assume it’s because I’m just a noob and not very skilled with homebrew yet.

I tried to follow the directions.

I updated the OS to the most recent version. I installed preware. Installed uberkernal and Govna and got the processor speed up to 1.5ghz. Turned off all the logging and noticed a big performance increase from that but I can’t get Kindle Import to work.

I have a couple hundred .mobi files I want to sideload into my touchpad but of course the Kindle App doesn’t suppor this. So I found the “Kindle Import” app here and installed it to my touchpad from preware. I registered the kindle app on HP with Amazon.

First thing I tried was finding the folder /media/internal/.palmkindle/coverCache inside the .palmkindle folder and there’s nothing there. I thought perhaps this folder was just the “.palmkindle” folder that shows up when my TP is in USB mode so I tried putting my .mobi books in the folder and running “Kindle Import” “load new books”. It tells me “There are no new books to import”.

I tried removing both the kindle app and the kindle import app and reinstalling them. Shutting down and restarting and I get the same result.

The only way I’ve been able to put kindle books (.mobi) files on my TP is to download a free book from the kindle store and copy the “BV10500” name from the book and rename my .mobi file to that string and put it in the .palmkindle folder. This works to an extent but the books are jacked up and have code and text for centering the books text and quotations etc. Not the easiest to read.

I need help.

Would someone mind taking the time to help a Noob out and walking me through what I need to do?

I have Calibre on my laptop and tried using it to import to my “Ipad like device” and that didn’t work either.

Thank you in advance!
    update your calibre, touchpad is supported in newer versions.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SebastianLee View Post
    update your calibre, touchpad is supported in newer versions.
    I downloaded it last night. I didn't check to see if it was up to date since I was downloading it directly from them. I assumed it was.. That's what I get for assuming!

So will calibre side load .mobi files into the kindle app then as the only step? Or do I send them through the calibre program (after I apparently update it) to the touchpad and then run the Kindle Import app?

Thanks!
    Last edited by trexlee001; 11/10/2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    The calibre update was several weeks ago, so if you just downloaded last night, it should be fine.

You should be able to put your TP in USB mode, and calibre should recognize it so you can have them named properly and put into the correct place.

Check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-solution.html
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    The calibre update was several weeks ago, so if you just downloaded last night, it should be fine.

You should be able to put your TP in USB mode, and calibre should recognize it so you can have them named properly and put into the correct place.

Check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-solution.html
    Thank you! I will try this first thing tonight after I get the kids to bed.

Again, much appreciated!
  6.    #6  
    double post
  7.    #7  
    FINALLY!

I had to run the set up wizard again in Calibre. Selected the "generic device" this time instead of "ipad like device".

So.. Here's the step by step..

I started over from scratch and deleted the Kindle import and kindle app both from my touchpad.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre on my laptop. (didn't matter though I still had to run the setup wizard again)

I re-downloaded Kindle import homebrew app with preware and installed it to the touchpad. I re-downloaded the Kindle beta app from HP app store and installed it to the touchpad)

I registered the kindle app with amazon

I downloaded your script. http://www.joeipson.com/kindleSide.zip on my laptop

I created a new folder on my Laptop's desktop named "my books"

I extracted your script that I downloaded to that new folder named "my books" on my laptop

I put the mobi files I wanted to import to my kindle into that same folder named "my books"on the laptop

I ran your script and .bat file that was extracted into the "my books" folder on my laptop

After your script created the new .palmkindle file inside the folder named "my books" on my laptop (with the mobi files now tagged inside) I opend that new folder named .palmkindle and then opened calibre. I imported the mobi books to the Calibre library by dragging and dropping them from the folder named .palmkindle to the library in Calibre.

I selected them in the calibre library and updated the "meta data".

After they were updated and I saved the new meta data in Calibre, I put the touchpad in USB mode and I sent the mobi books to my touchpad using calibre via the tab at the top of Calibre called "Send to Device"

I then shut down and restarted the Touchpad

after reboot I ran the Kindle import app and hit "load new books" It found the books I had sent to the device using the tab I mentioned above in calibre. I then hit the "import books" tab in the kindle import app and after succesful load closed kindle import.

Opened the Kindle app and all books were there!

Thanks a million guys!

I hope maybe someone reads this and it helps them the way you helped me...
    Last edited by trexlee001; 11/10/2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trexlee001 View Post
    FINALLY!

I had to run the set up wizard again in Calibre. Selected the "generic device" this time instead of "ipad like device".

So.. Here's the step by step..

I started over from scratch and deleted the Kindle import and kindle app both from my touchpad.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre on my laptop. (didn't matter though I still had to run the setup wizard again)

I re-downloaded Kindle import homebrew app with preware and installed it to the touchpad. I re-downloaded the Kindle beta app from HP app store and installed it to the touchpad)

I registered the kindle app with amazon

I downloaded your script. http://www.joeipson.com/kindleSide.zip on my laptop

I created a new folder on my Laptop's desktop named "my books"

I extracted your script that I downloaded to that new folder named "my books" on my laptop

I put the mobi files I wanted to import to my kindle into that same folder named "my books"on the laptop

I ran your script and .bat file that was extracted into the "my books" folder on my laptop

After your script created the new .palmkindle file inside the folder named "my books" on my laptop (with the mobi files now tagged inside) I opend that new folder named .palmkindle and then opened calibre. I imported the mobi books to the Calibre library by dragging and dropping them from the folder named .palmkindle to the library in Calibre.

I selected them in the calibre library and updated the "meta data".

After they were updated and I saved the new meta data in Calibre, I put the touchpad in USB mode and I sent the mobi books to my touchpad using calibre via the tab at the top of Calibre called "Send to Device"

I then shut down and restarted the Touchpad

after reboot I ran the Kindle import app and hit "load new books" It found the books I had sent to the device using the tab I mentioned above in calibre. I then hit the "import books" tab in the kindle import app and after succesful load closed kindle import.

Opened the Kindle app and all books were there!

Thanks a million guys!

I hope maybe someone reads this and it helps them the way you helped me...
    trexlee001
    Massive, massive thank you. Been struggling with this for a while, and needed some clear, step-by-step instructions -> you absolute champion!
    The only thing I'd add is that I'm not sure that the kindleSide step is necessary - for some additional texts I've tried sideloading with Calibre alone and it seem to work ok.
    Thanks again!