Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any chance someone can get silverlight working on the tp browswer? Right now it is on ie, chrome and firefox... would open up some web sites including the ability to use netflix right from the web with out an app.
    Since Silverlight is a Microsoft product and only works on Windows devices, the short answer is no. Moonlight, however, is a Linux clone of Silverlight. Haven't heard of anyone getting it working on Android though.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I don't think it is worth the effort: Microsoft prepares to kill off Silverlight
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  4.    #4  
    outstanding!! now maybe netflix will make the move to HTML5 and we can just login! Only makes sense.. why make apps for any or multiple specific platforms when you can just have web access w/ no extra labor to make and update apps.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    outstanding!! now maybe netflix will make the move to HTML5 and we can just login! Only makes sense.. why make apps for any or multiple specific platforms when you can just have web access w/ no extra labor to make and update apps.
    Well, the main reason that Netflix uses Silverlight is its Smooth Streaming feature that dynamically picks the best video encoding from several available for the current available bandwidth.

I'm sure you've noticed that Netflix Instant Watch videos have variable quality (especially when you first start streaming and its taking an initial measurement of bandwidth), though if you have a decent connection, the quality ends up being very good. That's Smooth Streaming. It's also the reason that the X-Box 360 had a native app for Netflix long before the PS3 or Wii...there was an exclusivity agreement between Netflix and Microsoft based on Netflix's usage of Smooth Streaming.

If/when Netflix moves away from Silverlight, they're going to have to find a replacement for that feature or we'll end up with either least common denominator video quality or the ever dreaded BUFFERING!

UPDATE: Interesting. Here's an article about variable rate streaming technologies that seems to indicate that Netflix has their own implementation distinct from MS's Smooth Streaming tech, though I'm also easily able to find multiple articles saying that at least for streaming through the browser, Netflix is using Silverlight and Smooth Streaming. Anyway, it's encouraging to see that there are other options out there that might make it easier for Netflix to free themselves of Silverlight if they choose to do so.
    Last edited by SCWells72; 11/10/2011 at 01:26 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SCWells72 View Post
    Well, the main reason that Netflix uses Silverlight is its Smooth Streaming feature that dynamically picks the best video encoding from several available for the current available bandwidth.

I'm sure you've noticed that Netflix Instant Watch videos have variable quality (especially when you first start streaming and its taking an initial measurement of bandwidth), though if you have a decent connection, the quality ends up being very good. That's Smooth Streaming. It's also the reason that the X-Box 360 had a native app for Netflix long before the PS3 or Wii...there was an exclusivity agreement between Netflix and Microsoft based on Netflix's usage of Smooth Streaming.

If/when Netflix moves away from Silverlight, they're going to have to find a replacement for that feature or we'll end up with either least common denominator video quality or the ever dreaded BUFFERING!

UPDATE: Interesting. Here's an article about variable rate streaming technologies that seems to indicate that Netflix has their own implementation distinct from MS's Smooth Streaming tech, though I'm also easily able to find multiple articles saying that at least for streaming through the browser, Netflix is using Silverlight and Smooth Streaming. Anyway, it's encouraging to see that there are other options out there that might make it easier for Netflix to free themselves of Silverlight if they choose to do so.
    well for me even if they continued use of the current streaming tech as long as it was supported on enough devices but also allow a second login option using a different streaming tech or even dredded buffering at least everyone could access it via the web through any device (phone or tablet).
    What about using Moonlight? Moonlight - Mono

It's a linux port of silverlight.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Moonlight can't handle the DRM. -M
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    ...Silverlight is a Microsoft product and only works on Windows devices
    Slight correction: Silverlight is also available for Mac.
    Netflix streaming in browser also uses Silverlight on Mac OS X.
    As an linux version of silverlight that is open source, I can't see that it would be beyond the abilities of one of the many gifted compilers in the webOS community to port moonlight to run on the Touchpad browser as a patch or plugin. As has been mentioned it would be really useful for sites like SkyGo in the UK as well as Netflix - both of which require siverlight/moonlight to use. Anyone up for the challenge?
    open webOS will apparently have Silverlight support built in. By that time, I doubt there will be anyone still using it. At the current time, I can't think of anyone who -is- using it now that all of Netflix's apps are basically HTML5 .. which basically means that they have no good reason for not porting to webOS other than either there not being enough users, or they are *****.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    open webOS will apparently have Silverlight support built in. .
    Source?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    As an linux version of silverlight that is open source, I can't see that it would be beyond the abilities of one of the many gifted compilers in the webOS community to port moonlight to run on the Touchpad browser as a patch or plugin. As has been mentioned it would be really useful for sites like SkyGo in the UK as well as Netflix - both of which require siverlight/moonlight to use. Anyone up for the challenge?
    Porting moonlight to the Touchpad will not make Netflix work because moonlight doesn't have the needed DRM. I have no idea about SkyGo but wouldn't be surprised if it is in the same boat. See -- Moonlight/SecurityStatus - Mono
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Source?
    I'm pretty sure that was state when talking about open sourcing it, that there would be a browser with flash and silverlight plugs. Now that I'm searching around for it, I'm getting the feeling that this might be for integration to Enyo, not to the current system.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Integration to Enyo? Enyo is based on JavaScript so that has nothing to do with Silverlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    Porting moonlight to the Touchpad will not make Netflix work because moonlight doesn't have the needed DRM. I have no idea about SkyGo but wouldn't be surprised if it is in the same boat. See -- Moonlight/SecurityStatus - Mono
    Indeed. Also, Moonlight is dead according to the developers.
    [Moonlight-list] Is Moonlight dead?
    Native Netflix Client Coming to Linux ‘In The Next 12 Months’

if we cba waiting theres that option soon(tm), or netflix will be html5/something else by then anyways.
    Perhaps you didn't caught the latest news geekpeter?
    Netflix: No plans to Support Linux
    bah more reports with people/websites not knowing **** from elbow, does suck they rely on silverlight tho, back to using splashtop<>pc, or using the xbox or probably ps3.
    Just when I thought nothing could be more evil than Flash, along came MS with Silverlignt... :-P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast