1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

I just bought one of the last HP Touchpads from Tigerdirect on friday's bundle sale and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow!!! Can't hardlywait!

I am a touchpad and WebOs newbie and was wondering what are some of the "essential" apps that you all would recommend.

I've heard about some apps that increase the processor speed from 1.2 to 1.5 but wondered if that was legit and was worth doing.

My main interests in the Touchpad are for Comic books, kindle books, movies, web surfing, some light spreadsheet usage like bill paying and budget tracking, games and educational stuff for kids (I have a 5 yr old and an 18 month old).

You guys have any recommendations for a newb just getting started?

Thanks!
    My recommendation is: read as much as possible in this forum, and then ask questions if you still have.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Definitely Comic Shelf HD for comics. I've never used it, but there is an official Kindle App, I also hear pReader is good for ebooks. I use Kalemsoft Media player for movies and other video. Can't say I like the web browsing experience on the Touchpad but I use Advanced Browser when I do browse the web.

Make sure to read the whole "getting started" guide on precentral. It will take you through all the steps to install preware, install patches to get things working smoother and overclocking to speed things up. It will also answer a lot of the questions you may have and has some good app recommendations for new users. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Have fun!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys!

That's the kind of help I was looking for.. It's much appreciated!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Free Apps:
    Comics HD - Read comic strips
    USA Today - Good overview of news, even though the articles are a little fluffy
    Angry Birds HD - Nice Tablet version, no ads
    BibleZ HD - If you need a nice e-bible

Paid Apps:
    Kalmesoft Media Player (7$) - Plays everything
    MangaReader (3$) - If you like manga, allows you to read tons of it for free from the web
    ComicShelf HD (3$) - Allows you to read downloaded comics (cbr/cbz files)

Preware apps:
    Internalz Pro - File browser
    SuperNES - Decent Super NES emulator

EDIT - Notice you wanted games too. That' a fairly limited catagory on the TP, and the 3.04 update broke some of the games (like the racing games, so I won't list those). That said, besides Angry Birds, I think the best ones are:

Glow Hockey HD (1$) - More or less pong with fancy graphics. Great 2 player mode.
    Spaceblip HD ($1) - A lot like the classic game snake, but with a spaceship
    Quell HD ($2; has a few cosmetic bugs) - Sliding puzzle game. There's a free trial version as well.
    Last edited by whocares69; 11/07/2011 at 12:14 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    Free Apps:
    Comics HD - Read comic strips
    USA Today - Good overview of news, even though the articles are a little fluffy
    Angry Birds HD - Nice Tablet version, no ads
    BibleZ HD - If you need a nice e-bible

Paid Apps:
    Kalmesoft Media Player (7$) - Plays everything
    MangaReader (3$) - If you like manga, allows you to read tons of it for free from the web
    ComicShelf HD (3$) - Allows you to read downloaded comics (cbr/cbz files)

Preware apps:
    Internalz Pro - File browser
    SuperNES - Decent Super NES emulator

EDIT - Notice you wanted games too. That' a fairly limited catagory on the TP, and the 3.04 update broke some of the games (like the racing games, so I won't list those). That said, besides Angry Birds, I think the best ones are:

Glow Hockey HD (1$) - More or less pong with fancy graphics. Great 2 player mode.
    Spaceblip HD ($1) - A lot like the classic game snake, but with a spaceship
    Quell HD ($2; has a few cosmetic bugs) - Sliding puzzle game. There's a free trial version as well.

Thank you.

The games I was more interested for were stuff I could let my 5 year old play with in the car or at hair cut appointments.. things like that.

Let me ask.. Do you think it's worth paying for the Kalmesoft media player or does the Touchplayer work well enough?
    I use these a lot: TouchVol, Music (Remix), Video Flood HD, Splashtop Remote, Tegi's Commander, TB File Transfer, Wifi TP File Browser, Internalz Pro
    I think Kalemsoft is worth the purchase.
    A bunch of Dr Seuss books just hit the catalog. I love "What Was I scared Of?"

Check out Scruffy Kitty story if you like animals.

The Audobon apps are good for educational purposes

You can rent library books on the kindle if the library ebook section has them in kindle form.

QuickOffice (free) or Picsel Smart Office (paid) can handle doc and spreadsheet editing. If you buy Picsel make sure to download and open while in wifi mode. Then you can continue to use even off wifi as long as TouchPad stays on (its a bug). If you turn the TouchPad off, open it again when wifi mode is back on.

Amazon on demand movies can be accessed thru the browser. I personally just store movies on the TouchPad.
    For little kids, pick up "Art of Glow" (Free). It's an app where you draw on the TP and your finger leaves a trail of sparkles in its wake. You can set various densities/durations for either lasting lines to make pictures with or just showers of sparkles.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    EDIT - Notice you wanted games too. That' a fairly limited catagory on the TP, and the 3.04 update broke some of the games (like the racing games, so I won't list those).
    You are talking about Asphalt 6?

I've never unterstood all the complaints about this game since the 3.0.4 update. I'd never play it using the accelerometer because in my opinion the touchpad is much too heavy for playing the game this way. The remaining alternatives for controlling your car work very well. A friend's son has just finished the 1st third of the career last weekend (on my touchpad).
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Oddly, my list is shrinking. Sure bets are Splashtop, IHeartRadio, Spaz, and Music Remix. Zinio would have made this list but its acting up right now (pages blurry). I might have suggested Advanced browser but its acting up too.
    Most of my must-haves are already listed, but I'll add News Republic (free) for a wider variety of news to supplement/expand on USA Today...

Your daughter might enjoy Flooder Free...

Katie