Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1. z0g
    It would be great if the ability to "drive around" in streetview was added. Great app, thanks!
    There's an app in the catalog that already does that. Fun With Street View.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Hey guys, I made a Touchpad version of BFG Maps for the Touchpad.

So now you can get Google Maps in all its glory, INCLUDING STREET VIEW!!! YAY!

Enjoy.

(Note, I am not the creator of this free app, all I did was modify some code so that it is fullscreen on the touchpad)

unzip and enjoy! (CLICK ON THE ZIP FILE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST TO DOWNLOAD)

Screenshots for you non-belivers and skeptics

Click to view quoted image
    Thanks a lot, It works also on pre3, in fullscreen if you change the index.html in the app folder to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
    <head>
    <title>BFG</title>
    <meta name="viewport" content="height=device-height">
    <script src="ares.jsjsjs&$quot$; $type$=&$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$;&$gt$;&$lt$;/$script$&$gt$;
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    an that version still have the same problem as I posted in the other two threads.
    Do a stearch (the little magnifiing glass) and you only get a blue/or white screen without any map. That was the same result I got when trining to get it working on the TouchPad.

This problem exists on all webOS versions starting with 2.1. The original developer was never able to fix it. Perhaps you can do it. I didn't find any reason why it happens.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2881030

HaPe
    This is rad, thanks!
  6.    #46  
    I am not the original developer of this app and it appears that he is out to lunch or has moved on from webOS.

I personally can fix minor things here and there but I do not have the time or app building experience to really modify things or add new features.

However, if I can find a way to link the homebrew Google Latitude app in Preware to work with this or the web version of google, I am very interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I am not the original developer of this app and it appears that he is out to lunch or has moved on from webOS.

I personally can fix minor things here and there but I do not have the time or app building experience to really modify things or add new features.

However, if I can find a way to link the homebrew Google Latitude app in Preware to work with this or the web version of google, I am very interested.
    he's contactable via the email in BFG maps help. I tried to get it to put here, but my phone keeps resetting when I try to access the help screen (odd that)
    I'm a noob, how do I put this on my TP?
    If you have Preware installed on your Touchpad, and you associated IPK files to be installed automatically by Preware, there is a mirror of the IPK linked to from my GVoice blog (click the link in my signature, click blog, it should be the first post there as of the moment that I'm writing this), and then click the link to download the IPK. That should auto start Preware and give you the option to install it.

If you don't have Preware installed, start with researching that.

I'd just provide the link, but I thought Rmausser would do that after I gave it to him in PM .. And this will teach you how to get there

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    mando likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If you have Preware installed on your Touchpad, and you associated IPK files to be installed automatically by Preware, there is a mirror of the IPK linked to from my GVoice blog (click the link in my signature, click blog, it should be the first post there as of the moment that I'm writing this), and then click the link to download the IPK. That should auto start Preware and give you the option to install it.

If you don't have Preware installed, start with researching that.

I'd just provide the link, but I thought Rmausser would do that after I gave it to him in PM .. And this will teach you how to get there

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Thanks! worked perfectly!
    How do the developer(s) plan to address the issue of Google Maps planning to bill them for mass use of its API keys come January 1, 2012, and its plans to detect users that attempt to circumvent the new restrictions on use of its paid services, which often lead to banning from use the aforementioned service(s) on an Google account-level?

To any new, unauthorized developers of this application, how do you plan to prevent the original developer from being unfairly and punitively charged through use of its uniquely identifying API keys after January 1, 2012 while simultaneously preventing End of Life (EOL) of the application?

It's best these questions are addressed before it becomes a sea of trouble for everyone involved in this "Bing Maps" circumvention quest.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    How do the developer(s) plan to address the issue of Google Maps planning to bill them for mass use of its API keys come January 1, 2012, and its plans to detect users that attempt to circumvent the new restrictions on use of its paid services, which often lead to banning from use the aforementioned service(s) on an Google account-level?

To any new, unauthorized developers of this application, how do you plan to prevent the original developer from being unfairly and punitively charged through use of its uniquely identifying API keys after January 1, 2012 while simultaneously preventing End of Life (EOL) of the application?

It's best these questions are addressed before it becomes a sea of trouble for everyone involved in this "Bing Maps" circumvention quest.
    but but "don't be evil"
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by question View Post
    but but "don't be evil"
    Charging for a service is evil?

It's not like hugely detailed and accurate maps are easy or cheap to administer. (From what I recall, Google has 100's of employees in their mapping division and pays 100's of millions in map license fees.)

In fact, Google has said they're still making the service available for free to anyone making moderate use of their API. It is only applications and companies with large numbers of users will be charged.

I suspect if Google could recoup their expenses with advertising, they wouldn't have to go this route. I do wonder why they don't just display ads along with the maps, that would seem to solve the issue.

Aside from that, I don't know if there is any good solution for continued use of this application, but I certainly don't blame Google for charging for a service that clearly has abundant costs associated with it.

Regarding vanadium's concerns, I very much doubt the original developer's account will be charged any fees by Google. It's far - FAR more likely they'll simply discontinue the service when the quota is exceeded for any accounts that haven't signed up for be charged.
    very cool!
  15.    #55  
    IMO they should only charge for new API's....dont go and chrage people when the original agreement with them was a free service.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    Charging for a service is evil?

It's not like hugely detailed and accurate maps are easy or cheap to administer. (From what I recall, Google has 100's of employees in their mapping division and pays 100's of millions in map license fees.)

In fact, Google has said they're still making the service available for free to anyone making moderate use of their API. It is only applications and companies with large numbers of users will be charged.

I suspect if Google could recoup their expenses with advertising, they wouldn't have to go this route. I do wonder why they don't just display ads along with the maps, that would seem to solve the issue.

Aside from that, I don't know if there is any good solution for continued use of this application, but I certainly don't blame Google for charging for a service that clearly has abundant costs associated with it.

Regarding vanadium's concerns, I very much doubt the original developer's account will be charged any fees by Google. It's far - FAR more likely they'll simply discontinue the service when the quota is exceeded for any accounts that haven't signed up for be charged.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post

Anyone in favour of letting Google bill HP for such charges?

After all, it was HP's fault that the Touchpad got stuck with Bing Maps.

As much as Steve Jobs hated Google for stealing stuff from Apple,
    his babies(iPhoes, iPads) still run Google Maps.

Although I prefer Google Mapes, I don't "hate" Bing Maps because it
    has one excellent feature that Google Maps lacks: bird's eye view

A very strange morning.... seems like every sentence I say today starts
    with "A" (whehter spoken verbally or posted online or via email)
    notreworked likes this.
    OK, Just chiming in here as I am the developer of BFGMaps.
    First off sorry for not being around, it is true I am kind of out of the loop in the WebOS world at the moment, HP decided not to let me have a touchpad for developers when offered(I can only image they did not really want a Bing competitor?) anyway I am in the process of trying to get the now $150 touchpad offer for developers and if I get one do have plans to continue work on and release an Enyo version of BFGMaps.
    I am really glad rmausser was able to get this running on touchpad, very cool, I never really got a chance to see a touchpad in action. (rmausser, sorry that you had to look at that spaghetti) :-)

rmausser is this in the app catalog for touchpad? Anyway get in touch and we can see about getting this in there if that is your goal. kernelsandirs@gmail.com Also I just threw a couple bucks your way :-)

P.S. I am a Gremlin, I am leaving the party, and I want everyone to stuff the ice-chest!
    Thanks,
    Tim G.
    Last edited by kernelsandirs; 11/08/2011 at 11:48 PM.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    OK, Just chiming in here as I am the developer of BFGMaps.
    First off sorry for not being around, it is true I am kind of out of the loop in the WebOS world at the moment, HP decided not to let me have a touchpad for developers when offered(I can only image they did not really want a Bing competitor?) anyway I am in the process of trying to get the now $150 touchpad offer for developers and if I get one do have plans to continue work on and release an Enyo version of BFGMaps.
    I am really glad rmausser was able to get this running on touchpad, very cool, I never really got a chance to see a touchpad in action. (rmausser, sorry that you had to look at that spaghetti) :-)

rmausser is this in the app catalog for touchpad? Anyway get in touch and we can see about getting this in there if that is your goal. kernelsandirs@gmail.com Also I just threw a couple bucks your way :-)

P.S. I am a Gremlin, I am leaving the party, and I want everyone to stuff the ice-chest!
    Thanks,
    Tim G.

I do not understand what HP is thinking. Not letting a developer have a Touchpad is
    just crazy. How is one supposed to design apps without one?

Sadly, you're one of the many former/current webOS developers that I've read about
    who has no access to a working Touchpad.

By comparison, I was offered a free Windows smartphone for developers and I wasn't
    even a developer. I just happened to spend a little too much time at the Microsoft
    booth during a conference. (was only there waiting for someone and got bored, so
    started talking to this Microsoft rep to kill time) I ended up with a Windows smartphone
    for developers, which I played with for a few weeks and gave back becuase I coudln't
    stand Windows smartphones. (sorry, Microsoft)

I've been enjoying BFG Maps on my Touchpad. It works SO MUCH BETTER than Bing
    Maps. I would make a donation but I don't have a PayPal account because they would
    not let me use non-US credit cards.(from Sweden)

F1 & F5
    friedscones,

They didn't tell him "NO YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE YOU WROTE A GOOGLE MAPS APP" .. the supplies available have been understandably limited. I'm pretty sure he was making a joke there.

kernelsandirs,

Hopefully you got in on the dev coupon deal in time, if not, though, there are plenty of of $200 ranged units out there. Hopefully this revival of your app has lead to enough donations to get you one or two And if you want me to remove my link to the ipk at any point, just let me know (you too, rmauser)

Here's the link to the downloadable IPK message, btw:

http://ericbla.de/gvoice-webos/?p=210
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    eblade, correct they did not tell me that "NO YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE YOU WROTE A GOOGLE MAPS APP" :-) very likely they just ran out, so I was bummed and made that joke a few times, but Palm was very good to me, Chuq made sure I got the things I needed, but was unable to help when it came to the touchpad. Hopefully this time around :-)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast