Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scottlive5
  1.    #1  
    Is it not possible to bring a texting apparently to webos? something similar to textfree or textnow?

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 11/03/2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added "Texting App" to title
    Not familiar with those apps. How about google voice? See signature .

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  3.    #3  
    Texting apps that are on Ios and android. I wouldn't need cm7 if I had some form of texting app.

TextOne in the catalog?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    That can't text most phones. Only android and iPhones. My friends don't have top of the line phones. Most have Nokia phones.

Get a phone with MAP BT?

Technically the TP already has a texting app that works quite well, it's the cell signal it lacks.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7.    #7  
    There is only one texting app. That only texts 3 kind of phones.

What on earth are you talking about? You'll need to make yourself clearer if you want people to understand specifically what you are looking for. Texting generally means to send messages via the sms system which are generally able to be received by any telephone devices that support sms, such as virtually every phone made since 1998 or so.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  9.    #9  
    Well the textone app can't even text Nokia phones

You still haven't clarified what you are looking for. An app based messenger?

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Technically without a cell radio you aren't "texting" you are either messaging or sending an e-mail.

I don't specifically know how the other texting apps work, but they have to be using a service at some point to turn the message or e-mail into an SMS. Since a WiFi only device does not have the ability to send or receive an SMS, they send and receive data.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I bought all three texting apps in the catalogue and would say Eric's GVoice for webOS is the best right now.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Thanks Scott

It looks like textnow and textfree are both gateways to SMS. You can definitely do that, if you sign up at Google Voice, and you can use my GVoice, or Voogle, or whatever. Google Voice does not currently support MMS for picture/video messaging, but they are apparently working on it. It does not do voice calls directly, but does allow you to forward them to an existing phone device. You can also forward all or some of your text messages to email or to existing cell phones.

The setup I use currently is having all my incoming texts forwarded to my cell phone, all incoming calls forwarded to both my cell phone, and my house phone, and then I send outgoing using gvoice, since I pay 10c per outgoing text from my cell, but receiving is free.

Then everyone gets just one telephone number to reach me via text or voice. It also has a wonderful voicemail system too. And call screening and call recording.

Aside from not having MMS and not being able to directly make VoIP calls, I think Google Voice seriously outclasses those other programs.

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!