Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kalel33
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Has anyone read magazines on both the Kindle and Zinio? The reason I ask is I decided to start looking at some subscriptions and they were all cheaper on Kindle than they were on Zinio, at least the 7 magazines I looked at. If they're of the same quality on both apps then I'll go for the cheaper one. Also, Zinio doesn't let you jump right back in on a magazine like a Kindle book and was wondering if the Kindle also bookmarks the page you left off like the books do.

I really like the Zinio app and never looked at Amazon magazine subscriptions until I decided to price match.
    Last edited by kalel33; 11/03/2011 at 04:47 AM.
    johnjaycee likes this.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I switched my PC Magazine subscription from Kindle to Zinio because it wasn't allowed on my Android/Xoom Kindle App (the only one I had at the time!). Having the full color page with the ads is actually a benefit for some magazines - I hate fashion ads but in a computer magazine you occasionally see a product you might want to look into!

My Shape Magazine is not available on our webOS Kindle App, only on my Kindle device, ipod app and Xoom app

so availability of specific titles on the app and whether ads are of interest are key differences!
    You can't view magazines on the Kindle apps, so Zinio is the only way to go.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    You can't view magazines on the Kindle apps, so Zinio is the only way to go.
    I think he meant an actual kindle device, not the kindle app on webos.

To me, and I've tried magazines on the Kindle and on Zinio, and I much prefer Zinio. the color, and even the ads. It's a much more natural reading experience.

That being said, I'm still not 100% sold on ditching the physical mags. I feel like I'm better at tossing away what I don't want to read on a physical mag, whereas it takes me longer to read on Zinio. But with how convenient Zinio is, I'm going to give it a fair try.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Nice app; but, magazines typically have items that you want to access later such as recipes. I was surprised that Zinio did not include a print interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale46 View Post
    Nice app; but, magazines typically have items that you want to access later such as recipes. I was surprised that Zinio did not include a print interface.
    Interesting point... can you cut-and-paste out of the Zinio app?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Amazon told me that magazines can't be sync'd to webOS devices. I have a magazine subscription on my Kindle device that can't be sync'd to my Touchpad.
    hey all, im the zinio cmo and a few clarifications-

the desktop reader of the app has a print and bookmark feature.
    also the ipad app also has a bookmark feature now too! Maybe you need to update your version.

let me know if you have any other questions
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I can not copy/paste. Neither can I get the zoom function to work.

Still a nice app; but, would there be any way to take the content page and create hyperlinks to jump to that section/page? Magazines also have many urls I would love to visit with a tap.

I guess PDF does have its limitations.

Update: I must be doing something wrong because I can only download one magazine to read.

I will have to read the help screen.
    Last edited by Dale46; 11/03/2011 at 01:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jutteh View Post
    Amazon told me that magazines can't be sync'd to webOS devices. I have a magazine subscription on my Kindle device that can't be sync'd to my Touchpad.
    I hadn't tried it yet but now I know. It threw me off with the tablets showing on the Amazon site with magazine covers on them but they're just showing the Kindle Fire. It sucks that the prices are higher on Zinio but I'll just wait for some sales and it'll be just fine.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbodner View Post
    I think he meant an actual kindle device, not the kindle app on webos.
    No, I meant the app. I didn't know and Amazon threw me off with their tablets showing magazines.