webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > HP codescan in app catalog
HP codescan in app catalog

Old 11/02/2011, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

I though this was not possible. Is this just for the pre3? Work for anybody?
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just downloaded on my Pre 3. Installs fine, starts giving some generic error, but it allows me to take a photo, with the standard photo app. After that, it returns to the codescan app, and it's now showing a spinning circle for several minutes.

I must admit the photo its from the nearest barcode I've found, which happens to be on a toothpaste bottle. Also, I'm in low connectivity area, and the photo is not good: Perhaps the flashlight spot makes the barcode unreadable. But it seems that it's attempting to upload it to a server that's not reachable.

After some minutes I cancel the operation, which gives another generic error with no explanation at all, and shows an empty "history" section. The user interface is crude, even if it consists in a single button. The About view says it's version "3.0.0", from some "Scanbuy, Inc.", and to ge back one has to press a dedicated button!

Others have reported (in the app catalog itself) that this ap works, so...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just discovered Stefan Bühler wonderful "QR offline decoder" which not only works on the first try, it actually decodes itself, no need for an external service!

I've uninstalled "HP codescan" immediately, convinced that the only thing it does is harm HP's brand. How did it got to the app catalog?
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

have it on my pixi plus and my veer.
74sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Just discovered Stefan Bühler wonderful "QR offline decoder" which not only works on the first try, it actually decodes itself, no need for an external service!

I've uninstalled "HP codescan" immediately, convinced that the only thing it does is harm HP's brand. How did it got to the app catalog?
I installed hp codescan on my touchpad. I can't get it to work with the camera but manually entering a code seems to work.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Installed it. I am using "QR deCODEr". Which works I guess. I was looking forward to a live-scanner, but the app cant do it. Live-scanning is the key-feature for such an app. It doesnt even let me select files from my phone.I thought when it says its from HP that its a quality app, but I was wrong IMO

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
2nd_Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

"QR offline decoder" - does "live scanning" (by taking several photos) and this works great on Pre 3 and well ok on Pre 2 but that's because of the bad cam (w/o autofocus) on Pre 2.
Old 11/02/2011, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

The problem with code scanners on the pre/pixie is the lack of focusing on the camera. I have tesed several of thee apps on my pre plus and pre2 and only one time did it work on a barcode that was 4" high.

too bad the pre3 never dropped. This is one little grey duck that would have bought 2. Now, I am waiting on my droid 3 to arrive!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
"QR offline decoder" - does "live scanning" (by taking several photos) and this works great on Pre 3 and well ok on Pre 2 but that's because of the bad cam (w/o autofocus) on Pre 2.
Beat my by a tick...

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Is it as "live" as the barcoo app (an app for android I think)? I havent used QR offline decoder yet.
2nd_Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

somebody know where can I get it ? cauz I don't have a palm profile so I cannot download it at the app catalog
PixiCol23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

The App Catalog is the only place you could get it if it is still available.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0