Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I went to use Google Maps tonigt on my Pre Plus (1.4.5.1) and I got a screen that said:

"Please tap here to update to the new Maps app."

I tapped it, and a screen came up that looks like, I'm guessing, a screen from the Touchpad's version of the App Catalog or a website. It's in landscape, has the HP logo in the top left corner, and has three sample pictures. The problem is, I can't zoom in to actually see what it says. Nothing I do will zoom it in. Turning the phone to landscape does nothing.

What is that, and how do I get Google Maps back?
    Uh oh... I have a feeling Google Maps on webOS just died...
    thoguht I would try google maps through the browser and I can't even go to google maps in the web browser. It automatically opens bing maps from my phone. That is not right. Should be able to go to any website! What is HP up to???
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Uh oh... I have a feeling Google Maps on webOS just died...
    ...and everything that uses the old gmap APIs i.e bfg maps:'(
    I guess I'll habe to upgrade the maps app to bing after all.
    Looks like HP loaded a Trojan Horse on our phones without or knowledge or approval. I had Bing and google working fine. Now when I try to open google I get the update message.
    Also tried going directly to google maps through the web brower. To my surprise maps.google.com opens bing maps on my phone. Guess we will have to let Google know that HP is blocking their maps website from all the palm/hp phone users. Don't think they are gonna like that too much.
    This is really amazing. Time to get up in arms about all this maps crap!
    google is the one that shut down the api that worked on webos. google won't care too much. they'll want you to switch to ICS. which i might end up doing after all.
    yeah I am thinking ICS is in my future too.
    I can go to google maps on my touchpad though...
    Yep, ICS for me too. Just waiting on the Nexus. I'll be selling the AT&T Pre3 I'm trying on when the Nexus drops.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Well at least HP was nice enough to give up another maps app, before google killed theirs.
    HP should throw a boatload of money on google to have that mobile google maps htmlsite running smoothly (with pinch&zoom, with routing, touch scrolling, adress lookup from in apps...) on webos phones from 1.4.5 to 2.2.3.

OR at get their html5 browsers on the phone updated to have it work correctly, this is so stupid, HP Maps isn't enough for so many countries outside US.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    RAGE. Bing s u c k s in France.
    No traffic data.
    When I type "pizza" (it's the same word in French of course) with a strong GPS lock in Lyon France I get....PISA, Italy.

Thanks for nothing, dev team at HP. Save webOS, indeed...from itself.

"http://maps.google.com/maps/mm" still works...for now. Bookmark it.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    google is the one that shut down the api that worked on webos. google won't care too much. they'll want you to switch to ICS. which i might end up doing after all.
    What doesn't make sense to me is that Trapster still works, using Google's API and Google maps. Sounds to me like HP decided to throw the 'mandatory update switch' on us.

I've updated.... some things are better, some are worse. I'm not thrilled that I was forced to update through: I wasn't planning on installing Bing until I had to (ie: Google API was stopped).

Ah well.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    At least the static map API is still working.. My GPS viewer app didn't break. Need to check their docs to see when that API expires...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    BFG still works wonderfully here...
    Pre Plus (1.4.5.1) on Verizon using Wifi or 3G
    (Charlotte NC - USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I went to use Google Maps tonigt on my Pre Plus (1.4.5.1) and I got a screen that said:

"Please tap here to update to the new Maps app."

I tapped it, and a screen came up that looks like, I'm guessing, a screen from the Touchpad's version of the App Catalog or a website. It's in landscape, has the HP logo in the top left corner, and has three sample pictures. The problem is, I can't zoom in to actually see what it says. Nothing I do will zoom it in. Turning the phone to landscape does nothing.

What is that, and how do I get Google Maps back?

For anyone suffering from what Katefields is describing, the resolution is described here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3232583-post112.html

You can either play with the ill-formated webpage like HP wants you to, or you can go directly to the app catalogue and download the new map app. Doing it the way HP wants you to works ok, if you just intuit the meaning of the tiny tiny browser screen.

The way you probably want to do it.
    1) open your app catalogue
    2) search for map apps.
    3) download and install the app of your choice (Bing?)

The way HP wants you to do it:
    1) on that tiny webpage that comes up when you click that link find the tiny field where you can specify your country (left pane)
    2) enter in your cell phone number just below the country field (areacode+7digit no spaces, no additional symbols)
    3) click the accept all this gibberish button (really tiny).
    4) click submit at the bottom of the left pane.
    5) wait for the link to be sent to your phone.
    6) click the link and watch your phone's app catalogue open and go to the Bing Map app.
    7) download and install the Bing Map app.

hope that helps!

whoever put together this migration path is an ***** who didn't realize that 99.999% of the people that were going to link to that webpage were going to do it via ther webos phone via the googlemap link, which *doesn't* allow pinch/spread zooming.
    Last edited by roygbiv; 11/02/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Wow, these new Maps are a piece of ****.

Google Maps Traffic was the very application that convinced me to buy a smartphone. Guess what: Bing maps provided now by WebOS are totally useless. Below is some comparison: screenshots of maps for my area, taken the same time tonight.

Where does Bing get its traffic info? From some week-old newspapers? From the Dead Sea scrolls?
    Notice that Google provides traffic for Route 23 (a divided-roadway state highway) for most of its length, as well as for major local roads (very important when trying to avoid tie-up in strategic points). Bing only shows traffic at connections with Interstates - useless for local commuters.

Worse yet: check out the section of 23south-east of intersection with I-287. There is a traffic jam shown in Google Maps - and, guess what, it really is there: I just got though it. Bing, ever optimistic, shows this as all green. Worthless crap - see for yourself.

Have been a faithful Palm customer, from the Pilot on through Treo, Pre and now Veer. This kills the fascination: an Android seems to lurk in the future for me.

Robert.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rdwalker; 11/03/2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    ...and everything that uses the old gmap APIs i.e bfg maps:'(
    I guess I'll habe to upgrade the maps app to bing after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mestrada View Post
    Well at least HP was nice enough to give up another maps app, before google killed theirs.
    Just to update things - Google did NOT kill the api. HP did this for some reason that I can only speculate about. Please read this:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ht=google+maps
    Get google maps back sort of... Go to your google maps app and change from maps.google.com/maps/m to maps.google/maps/mm search for a thread called google maps (under touchpad). I explain how to do it. It is not 100% like it was but it is google maps.
    If someone wants, I have made own app with full screen webview of mobile version gmaps:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...gmaps-you.html
    If you like my applications (SynoMusic, SynoDM, SynoFM) and want to donate for future upgrades and development
    cygnusx12112 likes this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    This is why I switched to the EVO 3D. I loved my palm and was looking forward to the future, then I realized there was no future so I switched. Palm is going down in flames thanks to HP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast