I have decided that I am going to use only two apps to do all of my rss feeds reading and catch-up "read later" reading:
  • Feedly -- on my PC
  • TouchFeeds -- on my TouchPad

This means that I don't need to utilize a third party "read later" service, such as InstaPaper or ReadItLater, nor do I need to have apps for either of those services as well.

Here's how it works.

My workflow on my PC is as follows:
  • Use Feedly in my browser to read my Google Reader feeds.
  • - Within Feedly, any articles I want to read later, I use Feedly's "save for later" feature (Feedly's "save for later" or "saved" list is Google Reader's "Starred Items" list).
  • - Catch up on my read later list by reading articles from the "saved" list, and once read, selecting "undo save for later" to remove them from the "saved" list and Google Reader's Starred Items.
  • While doing regular browsing, if I come across an article I want to read later, I use Feedly's Mini Toolbar's "save for later" button, which adds the page to Feedly's Saved list and Google Reader's Starred Items.

My workflow for online reading on my TouchPad is (or will be) as follows:
  • Use TouchFeeds to read my Google Reader feeds.
  • - Within TouchFeeds, any articles I want to read later, I use the "Star" feature, which will add the article to Google Reader's Starred Items and Feedly's saved list.
  • - Catch up on my read later list by reading articles from the "Starred" list, and once read, deselecting the "Star" button to remove them from the "Starred" list and Feedly's "saved list".
  • While doing regular browsing, if I come across an article I want to read later, I use the "Add to Google Reader's Starred Items" browser patch (which doesn't exist yet ), which adds the page to Google Reader's Starred Items, and therefore makes it available in TouchFeeds, and Feedly's saved list.

My workflow for offline reading on my TouchPad is (or will be) as follows:
  • Use TouchFeeds to catch up on my read later list by reading articles from the "Starred" list. These articles would have been downloaded locally in the background for such reading.
  • - Once read, deselecting the "Star" button to remove them from the "Starred" list.

In order to make this work as described, there are a few things that need to be done:
  1. Someone needs to write a patch for the browser that allows for saving the current page (or link) to Google Reader's Starred Items.
  2. TouchFeeds should have a preference for automatically downloading (in the background) all "Starred" articles for reading offline.
  3. TouchFeeds should eliminate the "Offline Articles" section, and should handle all offline reading as described above, and therefore should eliminate the "Download an article for offline reading" and "Delete an article if it is saved offline". Simply "starring" an article will automatically download it for offline reading, and "unstarring" it will delete the local copy.
  4. Remember the articles which are "unstarred" while offline, so that this can be synched with Google Reader once online again.
  5. Due to recent changes with Google Reader, TouchFeeds should remove the "Shared" and "People You Follow" sections.

The result:

• One app on the PC for all your "feeds" and "read later" reading -- Google Reader client (such as Feedly)
  • One app on the TouchPad for all your "feeds" and "read later" reading -- TouchFeeds