Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Heist's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #1  
    Sometimes we may share our device and we all know people love to snoop around. Give someone a tablet or phone, and what's the first thing they do when you walk away - crack open your photo album, doc folder, or videos.

    I have an ingrained practice of keeping my data as secure as reasonably possible. My cloud storage services, I always have them password enabled on all my devices, set to never remember my password and log me out when I exit.


    I was rooting around in Internalz Pro earlier this evening and saw the Box.net folder. I opened it not expecting to see anything but a few code or list files; to my surprise the folder had cached and a functional copy of everything I looked at while in the Box app. Not downloaded, merely looked at!

    I confirmed this was the behavior by opening a few more pictures, docs, and a short video in Box and then logging out. Went back into Internalz - they were all there, which of course defeats the purpose of cloud storage and security.

    This sort of caching also happens on the Iphone. I fired up ifile and checked Box, same outcome.

    So just a heads up, Box.net is leaving the data you think is safely tucked away up in the cloud on your device wide open and exposed.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    Sometimes we may share our device and we all know people love to snoop around. Give someone a tablet or phone, and what's the first thing they do when you walk away - crack open your photo album, doc folder, or videos.

    I have an ingrained practice of keeping my data as secure as reasonably possible. My cloud storage services, I always have them password enabled on all my devices, set to never remember my password and log me out when I exit.


    I was rooting around in Internalz Pro earlier this evening and saw the Box.net folder. I opened it not expecting to see anything but a few code or list files; to my surprise the folder had cached and a functional copy of everything I looked at while in the Box app. Not downloaded, merely looked at!

    I confirmed this was the behavior by opening a few more pictures, docs, and a short video in Box and then logging out. Went back into Internalz - they were all there, which of course defeats the purpose of cloud storage and security.

    This sort of caching also happens on the Iphone. I fired up ifile and checked Box, same outcome.

    So just a heads up, Box.net is leaving the data you think is safely tucked away up in the cloud on your device wide open and exposed.
    I think most clouds file management apps do this. Dropboxify and I think Gemini do it as well
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  3. Heist's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I think most clouds file management apps do this. Dropboxify and I think Gemini do it as well
    I checked Dropbox in my iphone. There were file markers encoded in some unknown format and only a fractional file size. It was nothing like Box where the entire file was there intact.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    I checked Dropbox in my iphone. There were file markers encoded in some unknown format and only a fractional file size. It was nothing like Box where the entire file was there intact.
    k, well, maybe it's just webOS apps that have chosen to do that; the webOS filesystem is a lot more open/transparent than other mobile OSes.

    Only real caching alternative would be for programs to store the cached files within the program folder itself. It'd hide the cached files, but when you uninstall the app, I'm pretty sure the cache would still remain, using up memory, which is a problem
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  5. Heist's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #5  
    Yes. That would be a problem. I was always under the presumption it cached in a temporary folder that would nuke itself when the session ended, much like a browser does when in private mode. Not the case; there were files in there I hadn't looked at in weeks.
  6. jdale's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #6  
    It's a trade-off. There is a security issue, although that should be mitigated by the ability to lock your phone. But it also means the file can be accessed much more quickly and use much less bandwidth. Personally I'd rather have the cache.

Posting Permissions