webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Picsel SmartOffice reviews-put 'em here!
Picsel SmartOffice reviews-put 'em here!
Like Tree58Likes

Old 10/25/2011, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

If you have it, please let us know how well it works.

Can you put an Excel file into it and edit it without stripping formatting?

Can you put a Word file into it and edit it without stripping formatting?

Does it show red line revisions?

How is the pdf viewer (annotation)?

I have a major project to do in excel, word while traveling on Thurs and will consider using TouchPad instead of bringing laptop, depending on these reviews.

PicselUK if you are monitoring this thread, please consider giving a copy to Jonathan (and/or Derek) for a review, both do a good job (or give one to me and I will do a review).

Thanks!

Edit: Here below is a list of issues at least 2 people are reporting:

Wordwrap having trouble
Copy/Paste only works from inside doc (not to/from outside apps)
Font preselection
Bluetooth keyboard cursor key support- arrows don't work
Google docs not opening, not able to edit

Last edited by bluenote; 10/26/2011 at 08:10 AM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by zubiaur likes this.
Thanked by Picsel UK, zubiaur
Old 10/25/2011, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

quote from here http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/304961-picsel-smartoffice-touchpad.html:

chunglau 12:03 AM 10/26/2011 -- [Reply] [!!]
Bought it. It has a much better pdf reader. Have not tested the other features yet.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by bluenote, Picsel UK
Old 10/25/2011, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

A short review from Derek on the front page, seems very positive, woot!
Heres an excerpt:

Picsel comes chock full of features, including viewing support for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, and images, editing support for the first (and big) three, syncing with Google Docs and DropBox, formatting support for colors, fonts, alignment, images, and more, the ability to send as an email directly from the app, smooth zooming with page reflow, new document templates, and much more. Our only real hang up we can foresee is the not-webOS interface; only time will tell if we can get used to it.

http://www.precentral.net/picsel-sma...ting-pleasure?
Thanked By: Picsel UK
Old 10/25/2011, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice, sounds good.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Picsel UK likes this.
Old 10/25/2011, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

This user likes zoom feature on pdfs

"The one-finger-zoom feature in PDF files is worth the $10 (I mean, just the neatness of it - you tap and hold, then an up/down arrow appears, and you slide up to zoom in, down to zoom out).
[Edit - not to mention the carousel view of multiple pages (tap the page button top right)]"

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3224446
Old 10/25/2011, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Still no spell/grammar check?
Old 10/25/2011, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

No, not even auto-correct. Shame.
VitaminD is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by bluenote, UltraMav
Old 10/25/2011, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

This guy having trouble with word wrap. Maybe there will be a fix.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3224558
Old 10/25/2011, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, as stated in the other thread, I'm having enough difficulties with this that I suggest holding back while early adopters resolve whether the problems are due to user ineptitude or to bugs / missing features. For instance the word wrap problem can't really be a bug - I mean, they couldn't release it like that, so it must be something I'm doing - I hope....!
Ozpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 10/25/2011, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is what I put in my review:

This would be worth it for the PDF reader alone: much deeper zoom than Quickoffice, scroll indicator to show where you are, ability to change pages while zoomed (impossible in QuickOffice), text search, and overall it's just faster.

That said it's not perfect yet: no bookmarks in PDFs, PDFs can't be reflowed, and in very graphic-heavy documents I had some trouble with either images not showing or an out of memory error and negative images (but even in this case the text still displayed and it was still functional).

Support for folders is also fantastic - in contrast to QuickOffice which just jumbles up all your documents from all sources.

Overall a big step forward and worth the price. I have not tested out other types of documents, will update this review when I do.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by bluenote, Picsel UK
Old 10/25/2011, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
This is what I put in my review:

This would be worth it for the PDF reader alone: much deeper zoom than Quickoffice, scroll indicator to show where you are, ability to change pages while zoomed (impossible in QuickOffice), text search, and overall it's just faster.

That said it's not perfect yet: no bookmarks in PDFs, PDFs can't be reflowed, and in very graphic-heavy documents I had some trouble with either images not showing or an out of memory error and negative images (but even in this case the text still displayed and it was still functional).

Support for folders is also fantastic - in contrast to QuickOffice which just jumbles up all your documents from all sources.

Overall a big step forward and worth the price. I have not tested out other types of documents, will update this review when I do.
Thanks very helpful.
Old 10/25/2011, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

My current review as mentioned in the other thread - PDFs work well (in quick testing) but document editing and creation is very poor, much less usable than QuickOffice. Can't preselect fonts and sizes, word wrap broken, private copy/paste buffer than prevents copying from any source other than within the current document.

Comments subject to someone telling me I'm doing it wrong!
Ozpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm really loving this app a great step forward

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Old 10/25/2011, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a really simple .docx that opens on my Pre 2 and on my Touchpad with no problem in Quickoffice, but Picsel opens it as a blank page. So, the Word part isn't perfect. But I like the general interface, even if it's not Enyo.

DS_Palm_Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

can you insert pictures Into a Word document?
Old 10/25/2011, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

does picsel support docx? Older word processors including MS suites need to be patched for docx support... Even enterprise software.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Just purchased it, and it's a mixed bag IMO.

The Google Docs linking doesn't work, and it crawls on large, graphic intensive PDF's, like textbooks (memory errors). Overall, the program is fast and quick at working with most documents, and with smaller, mostly text PDF's, it's much, much better than QO as a PDF viewer for text, but the broken Google Docs and crawling on some large textbooks is a bit of a bummer ATM.
guinny1759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 09:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
does picsel support docx? Older word processors including MS suites need to be patched for docx support... Even enterprise software.
According to the online help, .docx should be fully supported.

DS_Palm_Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 09:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Can you search for text in a PDF? I would buy it just for that.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 09:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Can you search for text in a PDF? I would buy it just for that.
Yes, you can.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0