Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Can you search for text in a PDF? I would buy it just for that.
    Yes, although I don't like how they highlight the word, using light cyan on a white background is hard as heck to pick out.
    I've now rated it two stars on the market having found that it's not able to open the illustrations in the TP User Guide PDF, which is kind of ironical. QuickOffice opens it faster and with the illustrations intact.
    Can this be set to the native app viewer? Example, clicking on an excel spreadsheet attachment in an email. I have QO at the moment. If I install this can I set picsel as default or will I have to download it first and open the file from the picsel app?
    gerzhwin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    I've now rated it two stars on the market having found that it's not able to open the illustrations in the TP User Guide PDF, which is kind of ironical. QuickOffice opens it faster and with the illustrations intact.
    That's somewhat funny, but Smartoffice supports the tapping the hyperlinks, while QO doesn't, then again, QO is just generating an image of the pages, so they're all static.

Neither one seems particularly great, in an all around sense as a PDF viewer.
  5.    #25  
    Another user fro the other picsel thread said this:

ozpeter:

"I just did this test -

Open Gmail, copy a bit of an email I'd received.

Go to SmartOffice, open an existing document, bring up the copy paste options, paste is greyed out (nothing to paste).

Copied a bit of that SmartOffice page and paste then lights up, allowing that second bit of copy to be pasted.

Then opened QuickOffice, paste is available there, and when pasted the original bit of text from the email was pasted in.

Conclusion - copy/paste in SmartOffice is private to Smartoffice and I think is private per document even (thus no copy paste between docs even within SmartOffice .

And another thing - QuickOffice supports the Bluetooth keyboard arrow keys, SmartOffice does not, which is a pain""

And another one
    "I bought it just for the PDF reader and here is what I've found so far:

Pros:

-Can actually zoom in quickly and the text looks good.
    -Doesn't flatten directories so you can actually organize documents

Cons:

-It seems the app doesn't bother to check for rotation lock
    -A 120-page document prompts an out of memory error, but the document displays anyway
    -Needs set viewing modes (1-page/2-page side by side) and a fit-to-screen button
    -Jump to page # feature would be nice
    -Weird interface"

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-3.html
    Last edited by bluenote; 10/26/2011 at 02:00 AM.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    My current review as mentioned in the other thread - PDFs work well (in quick testing) but document editing and creation is very poor, much less usable than QuickOffice. Can't preselect fonts and sizes, word wrap broken, private copy/paste buffer than prevents copying from any source other than within the current document.

Comments subject to someone telling me I'm doing it wrong!
    thanks, quoted you from other thread. Which I'd better for excel, qo or this? Ubuntu strips formatting so is problematic and I found qo would not open some files
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    According to the online help, .docx should be fully supported.
    Yup - just opened one flawlessly...

...however I had to save it to my device from the email it was attached to first, then open it in SmartOffice which is a tad annoying.

The question of how we make this the default handler for various filetypes is a biggie for me?
    Can't get it to open any of my googledocs spreadsheets - let alone edit them... fine with docs though...
  9.    #29  
    Added list of issues people are reporting to first post

Edit: for those having trouble with copy post outside doc can you please see if clipboard works as an intermediate carrier?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    The question of how we make this the default handler for various filetypes is a biggie for me?
    This.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by richardfrank View Post
    Can't get it to open any of my googledocs spreadsheets - let alone edit them... fine with docs though...
    I have the same problem with a pretty simple Google spreadsheet. It won't open using Smart Office or Quickoffice. Only opens with the Google doc web viewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    Still no spell/grammar check?
    If they gave you everything upfront then they couldn't give the famous quote of "in Coming Months"
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Picsel UK likes this.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I havent taken much time to play around with it, but overall it seems like a very good well built app. The main feature that is missing for me is printing, especially for Word and Excel documents.

However it does have the email option, so I might just get one of those E-Printers and just email the docs to the printer to get it to print.
    Picsel UK likes this.
    For those of you who are running Android... The Amazon free app today is Officesuite Pro 5, usually a $15.00 app, which I think you might find superior.
    I just bought this last night and I seem to be experiencing much bigger issues than anyone here has mentioned.

1. About half the folders in my Dropbox will open and the other half open but appear empty. They all have documents in them so this shouldn't be the case.

2. It seems to sporadically chose which files it will and will not open. Sometimes it opens ".txt", sometimes it doesn't.

3. In addition to opening them, if I'm lucky enough to get them to open only about half the time does it actually let me edit them. This is for ".txt" and ".docx" files in my dropbox.

As a $10 alternative to quickoffice, I have to say I'm shocked at it's lack of functionality.

However, I do understand the dev. process and fully expect improvements to be made, I am curious as to other people's experiences especially with the dropbox integration.
    I have it: it's not perfect, but it is great compared to that crappy Quick Office (i once lost three pages of typing because the app froze in between new pages and POOF! everything once gone, no saving!)

Stuff i like: .pdf search is great feature, reads .docx, one finger re-size is clever idea, editing/selecting text much better than on the TP itself, excel reader included.

Would like to see: .pdf bookmarks and highlighting, window frame pre-viewing, allow copy/paste from text outside the document (wouldn't that require a TP clipboard type of app?), larger memory to avoid error message on big .pdf files.

Spellcheck? We don' need no stinkin' spellcheck! Just make your 5th grade kid check it: there sposed to be a-learnin how to spel, a'in't they?
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    netwrkr9 likes this.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    I have it: it's not perfect, but it is great compared to that crappy Quick Office (i once lost three pages of typing because the app froze in between new pages and POOF! everything once gone, no saving!)

Stuff i like: .pdf search is great feature, reads .docx, one finger re-size is clever idea, editing/selecting text much better than on the TP itself, excel reader included.

Would like to see: .pdf bookmarks and highlighting, window frame pre-viewing, allow copy/paste from text outside the document (wouldn't that require a TP clipboard type of app?), larger memory to avoid error message on big .pdf files.

Spellcheck? We don' need no stinkin' spellcheck! Just make your 5th grade kid check it: there sposed to be a-learnin how to spel, a'in't they?
    great review thanks
    there is a clipboard app from the dev who made glimpse, willl that work?
    does picsel auto save as you wrote that QO failed you?

am at public library was able to turn touchpad into flashdrive And download PDF excel and text from databases, all opened ok in QO
  18.    #38  
    another review

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3225679
    "downloaded SmartOffice last night and began using it right away. I DID read through, though not thoroughly, the help files, but I quickly sent a few questions to the Support people at Picsel because:

I saw no way to double space the lines in a document. (Did I just miss that?)

I could not see the bottom-of-the-page ribbon that is described in the help files. This includes the "scrapbook." Didn't see this at all! Perhaps the formatting options in the bottom ribbon will allow double spacing and other things?

Finally...and this is annoying but perhaps unavoidable...I found that the arrow keys on my iPad folio/BT keyboard did NOT work in SmartOffice. They work in every other app that I need them, so I'm curious about this.

I did a lot of writing last night using SmartOffice, and it IS much better than QuickOffice, but the things I've mentioned above ARE annoying!

Anyone have similar experiences...or fixes?

Thanks,

Mike"
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I can't get Smart Office to log into my Google Docs. After I hit link, it comes up with a black screen with "Google Docs [logged out]". Then after about a second, it goes back to the sign in page. I know I am using the correct email/password.
    Also, we don't appear able to rename/add/delete the main folders, e.g., i owuld like to create a folder that contains my work .pdf files, or image files, or just silly documents i was playing around with.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast