Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 296
Like Tree32Likes
  1. #61  
    I just bought this last night and I seem to be experiencing much bigger issues than anyone here has mentioned.

    1. About half the folders in my Dropbox will open and the other half open but appear empty. They all have documents in them so this shouldn't be the case.

    2. It seems to sporadically chose which files it will and will not open. Sometimes it opens ".txt", sometimes it doesn't.

    3. In addition to opening them, if I'm lucky enough to get them to open only about half the time does it actually let me edit them. This is for ".txt" and ".docx" files in my dropbox.

    As a $10 alternative to quickoffice, I have to say I'm shocked at it's lack of functionality.

    However, I do understand the dev. process and fully expect improvements to be made, I am curious as to other people's experiences especially with the dropbox integration.
    bldegle2 likes this.
  2. #62  
    Red Screen o' Death for me, too.

    Downloaded (which failed several times - thanks, HP for sending out 3.0.4 and breaking my wi-fi, I really appreciate it), ran it, RSOD.

    Deleted and re-downloaded, ran it, RSOD.

    Doesn't matter if connected at work, at home, or even disconnected. I've sent in a support note. We'll see if I get a fix. $10 down the drain.
    xnavybum and hoopsta1423 like this.
  3. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Baghdad Bob View Post
    The Amazon free app for Android today is OfficeSuite Pro 5, normally a $15.00 app. Might want to grab it while you can, if you're running CM7.
    Only for USA customers (boo hoo)
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    @mrhargett, @HolyFizzoli

    I don't think you're talking about the same app as the OP. The OP is letting those with Android on their TouchPad know that through the Amazon App Store they can download OfficeSuite Pro 5 for free.

    Smart Office is the productivity app that was just released for the TouchPad/webOS 3.0 which cost $10.
    The thread is called "Picsel Smartoffice for Touchpad," and the OP wants to know if it's worth buying at this time. We're replying and letting the OP know that it isn't worth it, until they get the bugs worked out. The thread isn't called "OfficeSuite Pro for Android," so I'm pretty sure I've got the right end of the stick, here.
    geekpeter and Rnp like this.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsta1423 View Post
    Yup, got the red screen this AM, trying to redownload it now to see if this fixes the problem
    Any luck with the redownload?
  6. #66  
    I got the RSOD this morning too, uninstalling Smart Office and redownloading cured it, at least temporarily.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

  7. #67  
    Thus far it seems you have to have a connection the first time you run it after a reboot. But it will run without a connection after this. Haven't had it long enough to divine a pattern but this seems to be the case..
  8. #68  
    If you get a spreadsheet in your email, how do you change the default to Smart Office from Quickoffice?
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    hard to edit excel? QO won't open some of my excel and ubuntu strips formatting, which Is best?
    First, I use Debian Chroot w/OpenOffice, not Ubuntu Chroot w/LibreOffice (I've not had any issues at all using OpenOffice - same thing I use on my laptop).

    QO is similar to the way Excel works natively, with the selected cell editable at the top of the screen. With Picsel, you have to select the cell, bring up the top menu and then hit the keyboard button to bring up the box to edit the cell. But for things like quickly editing an invoice, neither is really satisfactory for me since you can't print it after it's been edited anyway. But if, for example, you're going to edit something and e-mail they both produce about the same result.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by xnavybum View Post
    Any luck with the redownload?
    Just got home, (wifi available) and Smart Office is working (no red/orange screen). I tried with/without the BT keyboard, and with/without wifi:, BTkeyboard no difference - SO works, no wifi - SO gives red screen, with wifi - SO works. Soooo, why does Smart Office need wifi/internet access?
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    First, I use Debian Chroot w/OpenOffice, not Ubuntu Chroot w/LibreOffice (I've not had any issues at all using OpenOffice - same thing I use on my laptop).

    QO is similar to the way Excel works natively, with the selected cell editable at the top of the screen. With Picsel, you have to select the cell, bring up the top menu and then hit the keyboard button to bring up the box to edit the cell. But for things like quickly editing an invoice, neither is really satisfactory for me since you can't print it after it's been edited anyway. But if, for example, you're going to edit something and e-mail they both produce about the same result.
    Thanks for excel explanation for quick office and Picsel.

    I'm using Microsoft Office on my laptop. If I use Open Office in unbuntu rather than Libre Office, would it still strip the formatting? I was under the impression that open office and libre office were pretty close.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by xnavybum View Post
    Any luck with the redownload?
    no luck, tried with wifi on/off, after device restart, nothing works....10$ wasted

    sent a support ticket to picsel, lets hope they are able to figure it out
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks for excel explanation for quick office and Picsel.

    I'm using Microsoft Office on my laptop. If I use Open Office in unbuntu rather than Libre Office, would it still strip the formatting? I was under the impression that open office and libre office were pretty close.
    It just seems to me that OpenOffice has been more consistent. But with that said, I just opened my test invoice in LibreOffice and it looks the same to me (in other words, I'm not seeing the stripped formatting or missing logo image in either one - sorry.)

    But it does seem as though QuickOffice has more problems with formatting and interchangeability than Picsel. For Example, I have a phone list that has tabs. If I edit it in LibreOffice and fix the tabs, QO will lose the custom placement of the tabs but Picsel doesn't. But I can't print it out of Picsel so I'm better off just working on it in LibOf or OpOf - no help there. Also, If I save the doc in Word 95 format instead of Word XP, QO won't open it, but Picsel will.

    But Picsel has a big problem with mounting shares inside of webOS. If I use the "Network Drives" app EDIT: (not from Preware but from here: http://forums.precentral.net/nelsun-...ve-mapper.html) to mount a share on the network, Picsel can't browse local files at all until I do a full reboot. I can still open files off of Dropbox, though.

    ANOTHER EDIT: In all fairness, regarding mounting shares - it seems that the Network Drives utility doesn't unmount jail shares correctly resulting in the inability of Smart Office to read the drive (same as not being able to use USB Mode) but I found running this command in Xterm:

    'umount /var/palm/jail/com.picsel.app.smartoffice/media/internal/share' (share=mounted directory)

    allows smart office to continue to browse files w/o restarting.


    All in all, it's still a frustrating hit or miss on either Picsel or QO and using the Chroot option is just way more reliable for me. I need the option of printing the file and I need to be able to grab a file off of the network. If I could do both of those things with Picsel, I think I could recommend it. But as it stands, I'll continue to use the Chroot option.
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 10/26/2011 at 08:15 PM.
  14. #74  
    thanks. I found libreoffice and calc stripped tnings like bold fonts from msft docs, not cool unless I try to create doc in lo first and then see how well it takes.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by xnavybum View Post
    Just got home, (wifi available) and Smart Office is working (no red/orange screen). I tried with/without the BT keyboard, and with/without wifi:, BTkeyboard no difference - SO works, no wifi - SO gives red screen, with wifi - SO works. Soooo, why does Smart Office need wifi/internet access?
    Perhaps to sync with cloud services. But still, that isn't a good way to go about things. Means, can't use it while traveling. Pretty lame.

    Thanks for confirming this.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitaminD View Post
    Perhaps to sync with cloud services. But still, that isn't a good way to go about things. Means, can't use it while traveling. Pretty lame.

    Thanks for confirming this.
    all,

    for me no problems other than I wrote above. I did send me observations to support. For PDFs I think they are not all made the same. I do get memory full on webOS but not on android. I would prefer to work here, but the mem full does not seem to matter.

    my tp bt keyboard works fine

    d
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtlong View Post
    all,

    for me no problems other than I wrote above. I did send me observations to support. For PDFs I think they are not all made the same. I do get memory full on webOS but not on android. I would prefer to work here, but the mem full does not seem to matter.

    my tp bt keyboard works fine

    d
    ps ppts are so far best here
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    Lowering the price will encourage more people to buy the app. If the app is worthy of
    its price, those buyer will write good reviews and/or post here. That will cause more
    copies of the app to be sold. A lot of people(myself included) decide to buy or not to
    buy apps based on the reviews of others.

    I tend to think of it like the free cheese sample that they give out at fancy grocery
    stores. My local "fancy" grocery store was giving out free sample of some overpriced
    cheeses from France and Switzerland. They had weird names and $25/pound price
    tags. Unfortunately, I got hooked on one of them after tasting a few samples.
    ******************
    The only problem with this is the market size. If the Touchpad was showing that it is a dynamic growing market, then this may work. Since it is a static market due to ending manufacturing, there is a certain point it will become saturated with growth pretty much eliminated. In such a market, for profit organizations will not continue to a)sink resources or b) compete on price, especially for what already is a low price point market. That is not to say that they won't do it to some level. Keep in mind though that 10.00 may sound like a lot in the touchpad catalogue (or similar) but when you compare them to desktop counterparts they are often a tiny fraction of the cost for applications that we will pay hundreds for on our computer. True they lack comparable functions but that is as much due to format necessity than cost of development.
  19. #79  
    I also had several times a Red Screen Of Death. I noticed that I only had this when I'm not at home. Reboot, Uninstall and reinstall, and WiFi settings didn't do the trick.
    But after I tweaked my bluetooth settings, while my phone or keyboard was connected, by turning it on and off, I was able to launch picsel office again. After that picsel office kept running even when I reconnect my phone with bluetooth.

    Hope this helps.

    ps. Offtopic: I still prefer working with quickoffice though, cause it has an better keyboard support. But without keyboard, picsel office is way better!
  20. #80  
    anybody with RSOD heard anything from picsel yet?

    I don't want to doctor this thing and get it all set up just to have it happen again
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions