Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    Just bought this with an HP promo code. Couldn't get it to launch. After pressing the icon, I got the ripple then nothing. Rebooted and got it to launch, but only a red screen came up. Any ideas?
    I'm running 3.0.2.

What HP promo code?

Thanks!
    If you're waiting for a price drop, I don't think you're going to get it. $10 is what Picsel charges on every platform. For a platform like webOS with a "questionable" future, they're going to want to get full price from everyone to try & recoup development costs. Hopefully they'll get enough to encourage to continue development. They've already laid out some coming features so the future looks a little bright. I've used SmartOffice on other platforms and it works pretty well. I think (hope) it's just a bit of bug fixing & getting more comfortable with webOS coding.

Regardless, I've got to say it's admirable that they undertook such a large project on a floundering, now sort of dead, OS. I'm really looking forward to the updates!
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    so it's not possible to copy parts of my email on my Touchpad and copy the text to
    SmartOffice?
    No.

I just did this test -

Open Gmail, copy a bit of an email I'd received.

Go to SmartOffice, open an existing document, bring up the copy paste options, paste is greyed out (nothing to paste).

Copied a bit of that SmartOffice page and paste then lights up, allowing that second bit of copy to be pasted.

Then opened QuickOffice, paste is available there, and when pasted the original bit of text from the email was pasted in.

Conclusion - copy/paste in SmartOffice is private to Smartoffice and I think is private per document even (thus no copy paste between docs even within SmartOffice .

And another thing - QuickOffice supports the Bluetooth keyboard arrow keys, SmartOffice does not, which is a pain.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    The only reason I'm remotely interested in Picsel is PDF reading.
    If it has better PDF reading capability than the defautl crappy
    QuickOffice and Adobe Reader, then I'm willing to part with $10.

Can someone please buy it and report back? Thanks!
    I only have the Open Source Information pdf on my TP right now, but Picsel opens it up immediately without all the screen flashes and links to press on, etc.

I appreciate the dev, and paid my $. But I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to (until my wife finds out, that is!)

overall, the app is stable, responsive, fast, and in several places, says it is coming to webOS phones, too!

I haven't tried it out with my BT keyboard yet, but will this weekend when away from home.

I do wish it used the webOS copy/paste, but that is the only down side I have seen so far. As compared to QO which was regularly freezing up, though I haven't tried it since the bug fix.
    I've sent a message to SmartOffice support asking for their comments on

Wordwrap
    Copy/Paste
    Font preselection
    Bluetooth keyboard cursor key support

I'll report on any response received.
    What HP promo code?

Thanks!
    Yea what promo code ...

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I really, really am sorry to post yet another negative but I've just tried opening the TouchPad User guide in SmartOffice and in QuickOffice.

SmartOffice took significantly longer to open it (more or less instant in QuickOffice, whereas SmartOffice has a page count display which spins for some seconds).

Crucially, QuickOffice displayed the essential graphical content, whereas SmartOffice just displays a box for each item with a question mark in it.

So, for reading the TP manual, SmartOffice would be useless (no pix) whereas QuickOffice would do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Yea what promo code ...

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I would assume its the $50 app credit for early adopters, I would have purchased this with mine but I left my touchpad at work

PJ
    Based on the above comments, it seems to me that the app needs some work. Some of the "bugs" seem very strange for a paid app from a reputable company. No pics, issues with word wrap, copy paste issues, etc., I would hope they clean this up quickly and for a paid app there is an obligation to get it right. I wouldn't hesitate to pay the $10 but only if these issues are fixed or get fixed right away. It would really be a bummer if this is as far as they took the app.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I wish it support printing. I can ePrint it but is a lot easier to have native printing.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    hmm, aquired It earlier, launching it gives me a bright orange blank screen.

EDIT: delete/redownload fixed my orange blank card issue instantly.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/26/2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassace View Post
    I wish it support printing. I can ePrint it but is a lot easier to have native printing.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Yes! Very disappointing. It also seems very cumbersome to edit spreadsheet data. Although spreadsheet display is much better, if it could actually print the spreadsheet, it would be more useful. I won't be giving up OpenOffice in Debian Chroot anytime soon. There also seems to be a doc format issue between QO and Picsel - save in Picsel and QO won't open it unless you rename it to a docx - silly.

So far, no printing and no native clipboard support are my two biggest disappointments. Pdf support seems fairly good for me - I noticed it saved my location after closing and reopening a longish file - hopefully better graphic support in pdf's is coming soon - along with printer support!
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Yes! Very disappointing. It also seems very cumbersome to edit spreadsheet data. Although spreadsheet display is much better, if it could actually print the spreadsheet, it would be more useful. I won't be giving up OpenOffice in Debian Chroot anytime soon. There also seems to be a doc format issue between QO and Picsel - save in Picsel and QO won't open it unless you rename it to a docx - silly.

So far, no printing and no native clipboard support are my two biggest disappointments. Pdf support seems fairly good for me - I noticed it saved my location after closing and reopening a longish file - hopefully better graphic support in pdf's is coming soon - along with printer support!
    hard to edit excel? QO won't open some of my excel and ubuntu strips formatting, which Is best?
    For those having issues, here's a link to send a support request to Picsel:

Contact Us... | Picsel SmartOffice™
    I bought a copy last night, tested it out and it worked fine, had to get use to its commands (read the help). Today at work, all I get is a red/orange screen. I have sent a message to Picsel, and, so far, have only got a email back saying that they are investigating. I see two other comments regarding the red/orang screen, anyone else having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by xnavybum View Post
    I bought a copy last night, tested it out and it worked fine, had to get use to its commands (read the help). Today at work, all I get is a red/orange screen. I have sent a message to Picsel, and, so far, have only got a email back saying that they are investigating. I see two other comments regarding the red/orang screen, anyone else having this problem?
    Yup, got the red screen this AM, trying to redownload it now to see if this fixes the problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    For those having issues, here's a link to send a support request to Picsel:

Contact Us... | Picsel SmartOffice™
    I wrote up a big support email to them addressing all the concerns I've observed personally or seen people mention in these threads. Everyone should do the same..
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    What HP promo code?

Thanks!
    Knew that would receive more attention than the red page and not working part of the message

Back a few months ago when HP was issuing promo codes for different programs, I found that it was instead taking it out of my early adopter promo code instead of the program promo codes. This cost me about $30 of my early adopter promo code and in order to "make it right" HP, after about 3 weeks of calls and waiting, sent me 3 individual promo codes, each worth $10, but only good for one download. So I have been waiting for a good app to come to make it worth the one download offer. So I thought I would give Smart Office a try.

On a side note, I ended up doctoring my TouchPad, 3rd time this week, since it has been a mess since it updated to 3.0.4 without my wishes. Smart Office is working now. No more red screen.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    There are a few other issues. One is that some images in a pdf file do not open and only a box is shown or that a color image is opened in reverse color. I will be sending a comment to support tonite.
    I got the red box issue. At first it didn't seem to want to open at all, and after it seemed to work so well last night. I changed to a different WiFi access point and it came right up.

I think the first one was being filtered through a corporate intranet. Going to have to reboot and try to bring it up with no network at all to see if it comes up. If it requires network access to open that will limit it's usability for me.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast