Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    Who decides if the price should drop? If it's HP, then I can understand your argument. If it's the dev. then they would seem to be fine with a lower price.

So far, I am seeing lower intro prices and then a rise after a short time more than price drops (at least for the few apps I've been interested in).
    Lowering the price will encourage more people to buy the app. If the app is worthy of
    its price, those buyer will write good reviews and/or post here. That will cause more
    copies of the app to be sold. A lot of people(myself included) decide to buy or not to
    buy apps based on the reviews of others.

I tend to think of it like the free cheese sample that they give out at fancy grocery
    stores. My local "fancy" grocery store was giving out free sample of some overpriced
    cheeses from France and Switzerland. They had weird names and $25/pound price
    tags. Unfortunately, I got hooked on one of them after tasting a few samples.
    Hmm, hitting the buffers here with word wrap - it doesn't seem to want to do that, but leaves part of the word on the end of the line and the rest on the next line, which is somewhat surprising. Any hints? The "reflow" facility does not seem to help with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    Lowering the price will encourage more people to buy the app. If the app is worthy of
    its price, those buyer will write good reviews and/or post here. That will cause more
    copies of the app to be sold. A lot of people(myself included) decide to buy or not to
    buy apps based on the reviews of others.
    I completely agree about the good that can come out of lowering the price of an app. What I'm trying to understand is why it would be considered "cheap" (in a negative way) for someone to wait in hopes of paying a lower price. If the dev is comfortable offering a lower price, then it should be cool for people to buy at that lower price. One could always make a separate donation to the dev to encourage their app development.
    Next problem - the bar which should appear at the bottom of the screen (described in the help file) when you select some text does not appear. You do get a popup allowing some stuff to be done but not all the stuff mentioned in the help file (eg access to the scrapbook facility).

Right this minute I would suggest to waverers to hold fire while the early adopters thrash out these problems. The lack of proper word wrap seems to me to be a really serious problem, for instance.
    I completely agree about the good that can come out of lowering the price of an app. What I'm trying to understand is why it would be considered "cheap" (in a negative way) for someone to wait in hopes of paying a lower price. If the dev is comfortable offering a lower price, then it should be cool for people to buy at that lower price. One could always make a separate donation to the dev to encourage their app development.
    There is no shame in being cheap! I freely admit that I am a certified cheapskate.

I have absolutely no loyalty to my Apple devices(iPhone and iPad2) that cost me
    hundreds of dollars. Yet I'm completely in love with my al-cheapo $84 Touchpad.
    Exactly. It's not being cheap. It's being prudent. Especially in light of what transpired with Splashtop. Even Splashtop devs admit it was wrong and are trying to make those who got burned by the hours later price drop, whole.

I bought it @ $4.99. But I empathize with those who bought it for $10 just hours before I did. I could have been one of them had I read the news of it's release in the morning of that day.

That said, I'm going to wait to see what happens to the price of Smartoffice. Especially now that I learned it doesn't have spell check.

I mean, even TextMaker on my old Dell Axim X50v had spell check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    Next problem - the bar which should appear at the bottom of the screen (described in the help file) when you select some text does not appear. You do get a popup allowing some stuff to be done but not all the stuff mentioned in the help file (eg access to the scrapbook facility).
    The ribbon at the bottom is part of the smartphone version, while tablets get the popup. It's explained in the user guide.
    Thanks for that. I now recall reading that (too quickly!). But how about word wrap - how do I stop it splitting words at the end of the line?
    I just bought this and while I was leery about the whole $10 thing, I bought it anyway. I have to say, I'm actually quite impressed with this app, I'm loving it. Good job devs!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    One beer at the ball park is $7.50. What's 10 bucks for software that last years longer than one beer will?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Thanks for that. I now recall reading that (too quickly!). But how about word wrap - how do I stop it splitting words at the end of the line?
    oh. You read the docs? ;-)
    More on just typing (am I the only one trying that?)

Although you can set the font and size for text already typed, there seems to be no way to do that in advance of typing. To type in a larger font, you have to begin to type, then highlight what you have typed, and change the size. But you can't then carry on typing in the size at the end of the text - it will revert to the default. You have to insert one character back thus pushing a character ahead all the time as you type. Doing that seems to fix the word wrap problem but all in all, it's more than somewhat frustrating. This is, I would have thought, really basic stuff in an app like this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if so, it would seem to indicate a degree of user unfriendliness as I would like to think that I'm not a complete ***** in these matters.
    Anyone know how to make it the default office app for document and PDF handling? It doesn't seem to register in the "default applications" settings of the device info app.
    richardfrank and ght like this.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Just bought this with an HP promo code. Couldn't get it to launch. After pressing the icon, I got the ripple then nothing. Rebooted and got it to launch, but only a red screen came up. Any ideas?
    I'm running 3.0.2.
    I have nothing against being cheap, in normal circumstances. What i do have a problem with is that people complain (possibly not the person I'm responding to, as i don't know) about the lack of apps and trying to get developer support. That is decidedly harder to do on a dead platform, as webOS is. My position is that if a developer comes along and answers a call to provide an app that seemingly everyone wants, why wait and hope the price will drop? It's not like we're talking 99.99 versus 49.99 for the app, it's under $10.

Let's take it to an extreme - let's say Picsel releases the app and no one buys it because they are waiting for a price drop. Picsel decides they were wrong about demand on webOS and drop support for it. Who wins? Was it really worth saving $5 over? To me, that's classic cutting off the nose to spite the face.

I just think if we want webOS to have any sort of future, we can't be cheap (and that's a neutral term as far as I'm concerned).
    Next negative - you can't copy and paste from (say) here into a document - it seems to have a private copy buffer. As for copying between two documents, that seems not to be possible either as the copy buffer is emptied when you close the first document to open the next. Or so it seems.
    I just tried some simple typing in QuickOffice to compare, also preselecting the font size to be used, and I have to say it's radically better than in Smartoffice. And you can copy from here into a QuickOffice document with no problems.

Right now I'd say that the PDF part looks pretty good, lots of good features there, but the word processing element would appear to need a great deal of work - just in terms of the very basic requirements, it feels more like alpha than beta even.

Still, if selling it in its present state gives the developers what they need to fix it, then I don't mind the $10 - and maybe someone else will come along and point out ways to avoid the problems I am reporting, in which case I will happily edit my posts!
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    Just noticed that it isn't possible to browse files when network shares are mounted.
    Next negative - you can't copy and paste from (say) here into a document - it seems to have a private copy buffer. As for copying between two documents, that seems not to be possible either as the copy buffer is emptied when you close the first document to open the next. Or so it seems.
    so it's not possible to copy parts of my email on my Touchpad and copy the text to
    SmartOffice?
    I bought it just for the PDF reader and here is what I've found so far:

Pros:

-Can actually zoom in quickly and the text looks good.
    -Doesn't flatten directories so you can actually organize documents

Cons:

-It seems the app doesn't bother to check for rotation lock
    -A 120-page document prompts an out of memory error, but the document displays anyway
    -Needs set viewing modes (1-page/2-page side by side) and a fit-to-screen button
    -Jump to page # feature would be nice
    -Weird interface
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast