Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Have a Touchpad (and Pre3), using it in Indonesia... using the Bing Map app is totally useless - the message says - Service is not available. Cannot even use Google Map on internet...

Guess it will be useful when I go to the States. :-)

Want my Google Maps!!!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    What exactly is stopping you from going to Google Maps via the web browser?
    lol quite possibly the fact that you can't move around the image in maps.google.com may be?
    yea maps app is meh, I saved a location in australia, I tried goin back to it but boom, sent staight into the pacific near indonesia
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    Bing Maps is totally useless and there is no doubt about that. Downgrading from Google maps to Bing Maps, is totally in line with HP's consistent policy of downgrading and making webOS less usefull with each new version.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    for 2.x and above devices only you can get a ready made google maps ipk for dual use, if you search in google what i posted here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post3206248
    The new Maps app works much better on my Pre- than Google Maps ever did. Of course, a properly-functioning Google Maps app would be better, but given how slow, useless, and battery sucking it was on my Pre-, I gladly support the upgrade.
    Um, I find Bing Maps MUCH more useful than that atrocious implementation of Google Maps was. I understand the issue with not being able to use it for some weird reason - If it won't work, it is indeed useless...
    Does Indonesia for some reason ban traffic from and to bing?

But Sanjay: do you have any reasons for considering it useless? Because both on phones and on the tablet, Bing Maps works really well for me.
    there's an app in the catalog called 'drop it' by cmcs that does google maps + street view.. can't search or route but it is nice
    drop it! Looks great sadly I can't buy apps.
    stepping over to the dark CM side of things. They offered me cookies and candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    But Sanjay: do you have any reasons for considering it useless? Because both on phones and on the tablet, Bing Maps works really well for me.
    I personally dislike Google as a company and therefore was quite glad to see Bing Maps replacing Google Maps, specially since Google did nothing in two years to improve their support for webOS. But then, I actually tried to use Bing Maps. First of all, the maps for India or atleast Gurgaon/Delhi are totally obsolete and I mean they are ancient by todays standards. My own home, where I myself have lived for over four years, does not even exist as per Bing Maps. Infact, the satellite view, shows pictures from atleast 7-8 years ago and the road map view, is absolutely blank for the entire area around my house for several square kilometers. I mean absolutely blank, as if at a point the world just ends. To make matters worse, yesterday I tried to actually use Bing Maps to get some directions. Guess what, TOTAL FAIL. I entered an address in Saket, Delhi and the stupid app would not even acknowledge the existence of the area. Now keep in mind, that this is an area that has existed for over THIRTY years and is a rather affluent part of Delhi. Upon searching for Saket, it would bring up options for Saket in several parts of India, except Delhi. When I would search with the complete address, then the app would show me absolutely random parts of Delhi, that neither sounded similiar, nor were they even close to the address I was looking for and I mean the results were off by tens of kilometers. Bottom line, TOTAL FAIL.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Open Browser

Copy and paste this URL in address bar...

or simply touch this link below!

Google Maps

Enter

Save to to Launcher

Google Maps
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    Open Browser

Google Maps

Enter

Save to to Launcher

Google Maps
    Nice, work very well... Tnx a lot
    Open Browser

Google Maps

Enter

Save to to Launcher

Google Maps
    Thanks. But, this is the error messagte I get on my Pre3:

"Unable To Handle Resource"
    "The protocol is not supported."

Then after I dismiss the error message. It states "Your current Location is unavailable".

On my Touchpad it does not give the error message, but it states the same for not finding my location.

edit: Nevermind, I thought you were referring to the bing maps update on your phone.

Download BFG Maps if you still want to use google map data. Its free in the app catalog and much better than google maps was anyway.
    You could also try Nokia maps.
    In some places it might work better than Bing.

Nokia Maps - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes
    Nokia Maps for Mobile

Note: The mobile version works on the Touchpad, but you might get an error message using it on your pc with Firefox or IE.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    edit: Nevermind, I thought you were referring to the bing maps update on your phone.

Download BFG Maps if you still want to use google map data. Its free in the app catalog and much better than google maps was anyway.
    BFG Maps is not avaialble for the Pre3.

Open Browser

Google Maps

Enter

Save to to Launcher

Google Maps
    Anyone able to zoom the map doing this?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    Anyone able to zoom the map doing this?
    Houston:

I think we have a Pinch-to-Zoom Problem!

http://bit.ly/nAQLXV

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad

Seriously, Here is a Work-Around.

Open Google Maps by touching the link below!

Google Maps

Tap in the Lower Right corner on the blue dot to navigate to your location.

Then,

Get Directions, from your location to some place in the vicinity.

Then, tap any of the various turn-by-turn directions in the route.

As you tap a row in the directions, you will be taken to a zoomed in view on the map.

So far, this is the only way I have found to zoom-in.
    Last edited by dna550; 10/24/2011 at 12:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    You can Zoom in Google Maps using the Plus and Minus control buttons using this address.

Google Maps
    I prefer bing maps anytime. Google maps has never estimated my time accurately. I haven't used google in a long time actually
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast