1.    #1  
    Hi Forum,

I've a general sync query....

I can see in the preware listings openssh sftp server - can anyone tell me:

a) I could use this to 'open' my touchpad from my linux (ubuntu 11.10) laptop and transfer/update etc files?
    b) Can I do this wirelessly?

If so, can you give me some pointers as to how - is it simply an install from preware, and then config?

- I know I can plug in my touchpad and it appears as a USB disk, however, half the time I have to reboot it in order to clear memory/locks etc - and thats even after using Jtop to try and kill off all the processes....

I've seen there is a really cool wireless sync app for windoze, but alas, there's none for linux (where I do most of my work).....

Many thanks in advance....!

Carl.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post
    Hi Forum,

I've a general sync query....

I can see in the preware listings openssh sftp server - can anyone tell me:

a) I could use this to 'open' my touchpad from my linux (ubuntu 11.10) laptop and transfer/update etc files?
    b) Can I do this wirelessly?

If so, can you give me some pointers as to how - is it simply an install from preware, and then config?

- I know I can plug in my touchpad and it appears as a USB disk, however, half the time I have to reboot it in order to clear memory/locks etc - and thats even after using Jtop to try and kill off all the processes....

I've seen there is a really cool wireless sync app for windoze, but alas, there's none for linux (where I do most of my work).....

Many thanks in advance....!

Carl.
    I use TBtransfer (available in preware). It works really well, but only allows one file transfer at a time. It's simple to use. Start the TBaccess server on your linux box. Start TBtransfer on your TP, and you're good to go.
    Most of the ssh-type apps (like sftp) require you to set up keys on both ends. It's a bit of a hassle up front, but once it's done it should always work. Once you have it set up, it would allow you to send files via wireless to your Touchpad.

A simpler alternative is to get FTPit (something like $2 on appstore), which allows you to initiate the FTP session from your TouchPad to your Linux box. Rather than pushing files to the TouchPad, pull files from the Linux box. Of course, your Linux box will need to run an FTP server, but that's pretty simple. This will allow you to copy over entire directories as well. The ability to do things with multiple files makes it a good file manager for the TouchPad as well.
  4.    #4  
    Hi thanks for that - suggestions worth following up- the ideal would be to have something I could script on the linux machine that would sync a directory to the tp (I think there's even apps for that in linux) - but they need sftp access to the tp...

thanks

Carl
  5.    #5  
    Hi - Got TBtransfer working - looking good! :-)
  6.    #6  
    Unfortunately - just transferred a 400Mb video, and it's not the right size (-13Mb) and it doesn't play... :-(
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    rsync over ssh is what you want. Look for info on 'backing up' the Pre over at webos-internals.org.

Hold on ... This'll have the code you'll want to crib from:
    Linux Rsync Backup

-M
    I'm using openSSH with rsync and it works great.

Install openSSH via preware.

Fix the upstart script or else it most likely won't start after a reboot (in /var/palm/event.d/mobi.optware.openssh). It needs the start and stop conditions changed to:
    start on started LunaReady
    stop on started start_update

(Actually I'm not certain on the stop condition, but it seems to be working well for me even thru the 3.0.4 OTA update)

Get your authorized_keys file set up on the touchpad. (I open an xterm on the touchpad, then use scp to copy the file from my linux box.) Make sure your .ssh dir permissions are 0700 (chmod 0700 .ssh).

Now you should be able to ssh root@{touchpadIP}.

Install rsync: ipkg-opt update; ipkg-opt install rsync

Now you should be good to go.

sdb