Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tikkanen
  • 1 Post By uh60james
  1.    #1  
    Has anybody else noticed past editions of Pivot have said the month on the cover and that the Sports one that is currently displayed in the app catalog doesn't? That coupled with the fact that it is already the middle of October would lead me to believe that the publication is not going to be every month.
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    I wouldn't be surprised if the release schedule is less structured given the changes taking place in WebOS land.
    I have NOT seen this copy of PIVOT? When did it arrive?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I read some where they are stopping the monthly issues, a new issue shows up when ever.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    With my tinfoil hat on, I wonder if HP is holding back the issue because a big announcement like a webOS savior is around the corner. Ah, one can dream.
    netwrkr9 and something224 like this.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I have NOT seen this copy of PIVOT? When did it arrive?
    A week or so ago the pivot cover page changed, but with no other pages. It reads "Start warming up. The sports issue is coming soon".
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    A thought about "start warming up." it will be ready after winter when the weather starts warming up. Just a thought.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    ...coming soon".
    ah i see
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I read some where they are stopping the monthly issues, a new issue shows up when ever.

Just more erratic HP style behaviour?
    I suppose if you sack half the staff.. then there isn't really anyone left to waste their time on non-earning 'Luxuries' such as this!

Whenever.. or never.. could be the same thing?

;(
    See this was one of Steve Jobs strengths, he would not have put up with this sheet from his employees.

ie: ref: mobileme quote steve "Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?" When one foolhardy exec explained the aim of the service, Jobs shot back: "So why the **** doesn't it do that."

Yes, if Steve Jobs was an app, he'd ban himself from the App store.

Saint Steve told team members that they had tarnished the firm's reputation and "should hate each other for having let each other down".

He then summarily fired a few employees, pour encourager les autres.
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 10/13/2011 at 10:38 PM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Perhaps it was here that you read it. I predicted the end of the monthly Pivot on the 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Well, notice it does not say the October issue is coming, its the sports issue. This could be our first clue that they will no longer have a monthly issue.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I guess the thing that confuses me is it really doesn't take that much effort to produce an issue of Pivot. You just hire a few freelancers to write up some articles (advertorials is probably more accurate) at 10 cents a word, find some accompanying photos from your stock photo libraries, format the issue and upload the thing to a server. And HP is seemingly unable or unwilling to do that. Puzzling.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    And why take down the old issue at all? If they want to go to a every-other-month schedule, it would make more sense just to say so.

My guess is still that it is being held for something -- either a featured app waiting for approval/fix, or at this point perhaps even the update to 3.0.3 or 3.0.4. And the Pivot team is not communicating well enough for the team responsible for that other thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I guess the thing that confuses me is it really doesn't take that much effort to produce an issue of Pivot. You just hire a few freelancers to write up some articles (advertorials is probably more accurate) at 10 cents a word, find some accompanying photos from your stock photo libraries, format the issue and upload the thing to a server. And HP is seemingly unable or unwilling to do that. Puzzling.
    The thing is HP hired an outside company to do Pivot. I met the guy in charge of the project at one of the NYC webOS meetups. He was there to see to see if any devs from the meetup were interested in working on Pivot as well.

I'm not sure what the hold up is. Hopefully it gets pushed out soon, it'll be November before you know it.
    If I would have thought about it, I could have screenshot the pages of the past issues, zipped them up,and archived them somewhere.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Not defending HP here, they suck, but there is one (and really only one) reason that October Pivot has been delayed. WebOs 3.0.4 could be holding it back. Especially if content of Pivot depends on it. If one were to trust the leaked changes here in the forums, one such feature that could cause a delay is inline HTML5 Video.

Not saying that is the case, just throwing it out there. HP should know better than to give an already fidgety consumer base, more reason to fidget!

"coming soon", as in HP (5 letters) => never
    If I would have thought about it, I could have screenshot the pages of the past issues, zipped them up,and archived them somewhere.
    You can roll back to issue #1. Just install "Emergency Filewipe Cache" from Preware.

I've asked the Pivot folks on Twitter about back issues, never to any response.

[ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)