Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Ok, to answer my own question: a webOS Doctor restore gave me back the old Google Maps app on my Palm Pre 2. However, I lost the rest of my data on my Palm Profile. I have no problem with the latter since I'm a new user and don't have that much important data on my profile yet.

Before using webOS Doctor, I deleted the new Maps app. I then turned off backup, which deleted data on my profile. I was planning to to manual backup, but it kept on failing. I eventually tried webOS doctor without the backups, and the olds maps is now back.
    Arrrgh I just want google maps with latitude on my pre3. The only thing bing has that I like are bookmarks. That's it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Damn! Love the Enyo look on my Pixi, but the interface doesn't match the rest of my apps and now makes the others look ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    I can't seem to get Bing to stick; it installs just fine and even starts, but if I restart the phone, Google Maps comes back.

Anyone have this problem?
    I'm having that problem. It's annoying.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I have both map apps running but I wanted the google maps app to be the default by changing the appinfo.json of the bing maps app to something different and then reinstalling google maps from the doctor. This is all new to me so I believe I did it correctly but now I'm receiving an update notice that my GMaps app has an update in the catalog for version 3.1.29 (which is the Bing Maps version). I guess this is the consequence of setting up my apps this way but is there a way to bypass this notice or just turn it off for my GMaps app? TIA!
    Installer Bing Maps and wished I had not so far. I will give another look. How was Google maps on the Pre plus? Default?? How do I get it back???
    Crap... why did I install that... hate it and want my Google Maps back.
    Go see the doctor if you want it back (or if you know how, and probably not or you probably wouldn't be asking, extract it from the doctor and package and install it)
    Yeah, probably going to do the extract, install, modify name thing...
    I take back what I said about Bing.

I was trying to find a place last night, and typed in the address I had, because Bing doesn't search on place names. It presented me with FOUR choices, just differing in postal code.

Not thinking, I clicked the first one it showed me and proceeded to get horribly lost. Later, after I'd missed my event and had calmed down, I clicked on the other three choices.

The other two were on different parts of the street, and the last one was on Ward Island! (This is part of an island chain in a lake south of Toronto.)

There is only one 550 Bayview Avenue in Toronto, so why is Bing putting in postal code filtering?? Totally unacceptable. I'm using the mobile Google maps from now on. I would reinstall the Google app, except it sounds like it's going to be broken sooner rather than later.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    I can't seem to get Bing to stick; it installs just fine and even starts, but if I restart the phone, Google Maps comes back.

Anyone have this problem?
    I figured out a solution. First, turn off and erase backup. Then, use Preware and go to the installed packages list. Uninstall the Maps application from there. Then, turn on backup and backup again. Now doctor to 2.1 and it will restore your apps and Bing Maps, but this time it will stay with reboots.

I don't know if there's an easier way, but that's what I found and it worked.
    It looks like they're pushing out the googlemap -> Bing maps update to the palm pre handsets now. The process they've come up with is kind of flawed. It's probably best to just go to the app catalog & download the new map app directly. If you wait for them to push it to you, what happens is that once you start googlemap, instead of going to the map app, it shows a hyperlink text stating "click here to download the latest map app." Clicking that link will keep you in the googlemap app, but will display a webpage designed for a full-size browser experience. You will have *no* way to zoom in to see any of the text. It's all miniscule gibberish.

Here's what you need to do. Everything you need is on the left hand side. The first field is a drop down letting you pick your country. Then, there's a field where you enter in the phone number associated with your palm. Then there's a check box that you need to check indicating that you've read whatever gibberish was written on the left side. then you click the big grey button on the lower left.

It sends an sms message to you allowing you to link to the appropriate app download. like I said...it probably would've saved you effort to just go directly to the app catalog.
    <thread merged>

This is 2 weeks old, sorry
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    No this is NEW. Had not updated to HP Maps on my Pre2 now and i also get this "Tap here to update to the new Maps app" This means the old webOS UI for google maps was killed by HP.

THIS S*CKS BIG TIME. HP even drives the last men standing to android.

Sry i'm a bit angry now as the Bing service is kind of useless in germany.
    Ok guys, I've read as much as possible in this thread, and I'm tryin to figure out if the bing maps app shows traffic? From what I remember reading while skimming through the posts, I don't believe it does. This can't be possible. Anyway, I haven't installed it yet, but I don't know why as when I open gmaps I can't run it anyway as it says 'Please tap here to update to the new maps app.' And there is no way of using gmaps by bypassing the startup screen message. This eats t nuts rob rudge darby the dingbat sipping soup.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Ok guys, I've read as much as possible in this thread, and I'm tryin to figure out if the bing maps app shows traffic? From what I remember reading while skimming through the posts, I don't believe it does. This can't be possible. Anyway, I haven't installed it yet, but I don't know why as when I open gmaps I can't run it anyway as it says 'Please tap here to update to the new maps app.' And there is no way of using gmaps by bypassing the startup screen message. This eats t nuts rob rudge darby the dingbat sipping soup.
    Bing does show traffic. But very poorly. Doesn't even work on all zoom levels.

[QUOTE=vasekvi;3232946]Bing does show traffic. But very poorly. Doesn't even work on all zoom levels.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using [url=

Thanks brotha. So what the heck are the options here. Are we really losing Google Maps? This is horrible news.
    Well on my pre3 it was preloaded I had no choice. There is some effort I have not actually been able to try that is supposed to let websites thing our devices are iPhones and therefore display webpages as if we were on an iPhone.

As for me I am just waiting for NDrive to be released for the pre3 for my navigation needs

why is anyone surprised? HP didn't port bing maps and Enyo back to 1.4.5 and 2.1 just to amuse themselves. The google API being used was set to go away on Nov 1st. It did.
    Gmaps seems to still be working for the Veer somehow
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...highlight=maps
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast