Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    Anyone put google maps back on a 1.4.5 phone yet?
    I'm also on 1.4.5, extracted the maps app folder made the changes and tried to repackage it. But then Palm-package returned missing required property "vendor" & "version"... and the sorts. I guess the built-in apps in 1.4.5 have less packaging requirements then what my SDK requires (I have the 2.1 SDK).

I also tried straight out installing Google maps from webOS 2.1, it installed and showed up in the launcher, but then was stuck in the launch screen forever.

My 3rd try was to go into the /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/ and do the App-ID change directly on the installed app in my phone. (Obviously I haven't installed Bing maps yet) This time it launched properly. I am now downloading the HP/Bing maps app and waiting to see if my change prevented it from overwriting my modified google maps app. (Just remembered that I only changed the app-ID, but didn't change the folder name... oops, but keeping fingers crossed)

--Update:
    Alright, I'm disappointed. After the update, I did prevent Gmaps from getting replaced, however it is now also stuck forever in the launch screen. And the new Bing maps is just as slow as the previous Gmaps, on my Sprint Pre anyways

--2nd Update:
    So I had to manually add the lines
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "vendor": "Palm",
    "visible": true,
    "removable": true
    to the appinfo.json file, after that, the packaging went through, and after reinstall, got google maps back & working on my Pre

So bottom line is that the appinfo.json file on the google maps app for 1.4.5 is missing some lines (though I added the "removable" string to make sure I could deleted it if there are any issues). And maps files that were sourced from a webOS 2.x device would not work. It has to come from a 1.x device.
    Last edited by intellidryad; 10/14/2011 at 04:59 PM.
    jrgutierrez likes this.
    sweet the original thread title is back!!

All your maps are belong to us!!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    To install old google maps, follow smth like this

download pre2 doctor, extract it,
    find usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps folder
    edit appinfo.json - change id from com.palm.app.maps to smth different eg. com.palm.app.googlemaps and the title to GoogleMaps
    run palm-package on the folder
    install ipk on device

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkeyHerald View Post
    Well, the Google app used to work on my Pre. All I get from the new app is "Your current location is unavailable." I take it that that's a change that can't be reversed.
    Did a reset and now it has started to work. But had to do a second reset to get the phone synchronizing again. Strange.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Google would actually be a better source to confirm this than HP Palm. I do know that the Palm folks were initially happy with Google maps, but then lost their happiness when it became clear Google would not update the app once they launched their G1.
    wow...ok, way off topic, but did that statement make anyone else stop & think: there have been 100s of android devices (& versions it feels like) compared to 6 webos since then??

ok, so back on topic:
    -will the 'change bing appinfo.json before restart' work on 1.4.5 and will it keep google as default? (yes it won't update, but you could always delete, then re-download new ver)
    -will the 'extract & reinstall gmaps' method cause yelp/whitepages/browser/etc links to work properly?
    A couple of quirks of this Bing Maps app...
    - When I search for things in town, for example the name of a restaurant, the most relevant search result always shows up as the 5th in the list (or even further down the list). Though this might suggest that Bing search still has a lot of optimization to do, it sucks because you have to go down the list to find what you want. It sucks even more on my Touchpad as the Touchpad version somehow decided to only show the first four of the list, thus never showing what I am looking for.
    - Within the first 30secs upon launching the app, it always tells you "your location is unavailable", frustrating users while it slowly gets your position 30secs later. They should of just made that notification to read "please wait..."
    - Compared to the old Google maps, we lost: 1) estimated times for public transportation, and 2) Yelp reviews showing along side search results.
    - While the app version numbers are the same on my Pre- 1.4.5 and Pre3 2.2.3, the Maps app seems to hide the "location bookmarks" and "recent searches" functions on the Pre- as the button icon doesn't fit on the lower res screen.

Overall, I am happy to have made the extra effort to keep Google maps. However, I hope we could figure out a way to access google maps in the browser before Google shuts down the APIs for our old maps app.

On the other hand, I wonder if we could pull out any Enyo app from the Touchpad and put it on webOS 1.4.5+Enyo. Though HP claims Enyo to be perfectly scalable across screen sizes, their past claims with Mojo & what we saw on the Pre3 suggests that their "scalable" claims should be taken with a huge grain of salt. However, it might be interesting to test this scalability of Enyo apps just for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    --2nd Update:
    So I had to manually add the lines
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "vendor": "Palm",
    "visible": true,
    "removable": true
    to the appinfo.json file, after that, the packaging went through, and after reinstall, got google maps back & working on my Pre

So bottom line is that the appinfo.json file on the google maps app for 1.4.5 is missing some lines (though I added the "removable" string to make sure I could deleted it if there are any issues). And maps files that were sourced from a webOS 2.x device would not work. It has to come from a 1.x device.
    Two questions about the update above:
    1.- Which Windows software can I use to add those lines to the appinfo.json file mentioned above?
    2.- How do I package the folder, then? I.e., how do I create the ipk file for installation in my Pre (version 1.4.5)?

Pardon my ignorance.
    I can't seem to get Bing to stick; it installs just fine and even starts, but if I restart the phone, Google Maps comes back.

Anyone have this problem?
    i would like to at least have something so i can update my latitude every now and again...
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnusx12112 View Post
    i would like to at least have something so i can update my latitude every now and again...
    Latitude updater from Preware works. Viewing friends is a different story...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Has anyone with Bing tried "Google Latitude Assistant" or "People Finder for Google Latitude" to check where your friends are?
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    Has anyone with Bing tried "Google Latitude Assistant" or "People Finder for Google Latitude" to check where your friends are?
    Those apps only launch google maps and don't work with bing. It will open a web browser for google maps but won't load the friend list. The most you can somewhat do is search for an address but no location or latitude friend list.

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Those apps only launch google maps and don't work with bing. It will open a web browser for google maps but won't load the friend list. The most you can somewhat do is search for an address but no location or latitude friend list.

So even though you installed BING, these apps will still launch google maps in a browser?

Cause I have Google Lat Assistant. Haven't installed Bing yet.
    When you launch your friends map with Latitude Updater, it just launches the old default google maps app. If you already have maps app open, it just brings up that card and loads your friends.
    When I launch my friends Map in GLA it does not exactly launch the same app as google maps, in fact I can have 2 different cards running with google maps. It even says something different in the menu bar. Looks the same but not sure how different they are.

So I was wondering how this would be affected.
    I'm having the same problem as copenhagentheory (post # 79) where I downloaded and installed the HP Maps but it just hangs upon launch. I have a Verizon 1.4.5.1 Pre plus. I uninstalled it, rebooted, made sure GPSFix was on (which is what I have to do in order to use Google maps), reinstalled and still only get the initial map icon screen which acts like it's loading.

Is there another thread for problems?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgutierrez View Post
    1.- Which Windows software can I use to add those lines to the appinfo.json file mentioned above?
    2.- How do I package the folder, then? I.e., how do I create the ipk file for installation in my Pre (version 1.4.5)?

Pardon my ignorance.
    I figured it out, and now I have Google Maps back in working order. I used Notepad to edit the appinfo.json file, and used the command line to package the folder. Very easy. Just go the folder where your com.palm.app.googlemaps is located and type: "palm-package com.palm.app.googlemaps", and press enter. It will create the ipk file that you can later install with WOSQI, or email it to yourself and install with Preware.

Cheers
    Ok, Bing sucks in finding place names. If I have an address, everything is great, but if I just have a well-known place name, it fails every time. This could be the fault of the app/Microsoft (cruddy API) or their database, or both, but it's really annoying.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

If I restore via webOS Doctor, will I get the old maps back?
    Not unless you can figure out how to block it from being reinstalled from your Palm profile data.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Ahhh!!! Why does it have to replace Google Maps? Now my contacts on Google Latitude aren't displayed in maps

EDIT: Thanks guys!! The information from http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post3206248 solved my problem
    Last edited by Charence; 10/17/2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: I got Google Maps back!
  19. k5e
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    To install old google maps, follow smth like this

download pre2 doctor, extract it,
    find usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps folder
    edit appinfo.json - change id from com.palm.app.maps to smth different eg. com.palm.app.googlemaps and the title to GoogleMaps
    run palm-package on the folder
    install ipk on device
    Don't forget to edit all appinfo.json files in the resources/<lang> folders, or both of the map apps, Bing and Google, won't show up on a non-English device, or emulator. BTDT.

- Christian
  20. k5e
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgutierrez View Post

Pardon my ignorance.
    ad 1: any plain text editor that can deal with unix/linux line ends. I'd recommend Notepad++ (notepad-plus-plus.org)

ad 2: If you have the SDK installed it is palm-package <folder where you have put it in>. Without the SDK get "tar" for Windows. Then name the folder where Google maps is in according to your appinfo.json info. Then do "tar -cf gmaps.tar <Google maps folder>. Put the resulting file gmaps.tar onto your device into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications. ssh or webOS Quick Install -> tools -> linux command line to your device and cd into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications. Then tar -xf gmaps.tar and do a Luna restart or reboot.

HTH
    Christian
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast