Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    @ mooneroid:

In your set up, is the default map app the new Bing maps app? If so, is there any way to make the google maps app the default and have the Bing maps as the secondary app. This would ensure that all relationships where google maps would launch automatically from within another app (ie whitepages) would remain intact. Some have commented that Bing maps didn't work with some apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    @ mooneroid:

In your set up, is the default map app the new Bing maps app? If so, is there any way to make the google maps app the default and have the Bing maps as the secondary app. This would ensure that all relationships where google maps would launch automatically from within another app (ie whitepages) would remain intact. Some have commented that Bing maps didn't work with some apps.
    Bing is the new default. I haven't figured out how to change that yet, although I've tried a little. I mostly just wanted to be able to continue using Latitude. I've hardly used Bing Maps at all yet, so I haven't noticed any odd things happening.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    I've found issues with Whitepages, ZipCode Tool, and a hit and miss with Facebook.
    I too have issues with Whitepages. Facebook check-in has issues with displaying a map. As I mentioned in a previous post, links to maps on the web browser will not work properly with Bing (even if the links are from a search result from Bing!), now it seems that the same will apply to links within certain applications (such as Whitepages).

Interestingly enough, Yelp, Where, Flixter and Fandango works fine with Bing Maps. I'm assuming these applications take advantage of Bing's APIs along with Google's.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I just found out that web links provided by Yahoo Search will work with Bing Maps. Maybe because Yahoo uses Navteq maps as does Bing; or it could be part of the collaboration that Yahoo has with Microsoft (Yahoo search results are provided by Bing).
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Oh please I hope someone comes up with a way to install Google Maps to the Pre3
    What a piece of crap.

I need a map that shows be traffic on streets here in Los Angeles, like Google did. Pretty ****ed Google map app is now gone. Besides listening to podcasts, traffic maps are my main use for my smartphone. ****ed and now looking to jump ship immediately if I can't get Google maps back.
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    What a piece of crap.

I need a map that shows be traffic on streets here in Los Angeles, like Google did. Pretty ****ed Google map app is now gone. Besides listening to podcasts, traffic maps are my main use for my smartphone. ****ed and now looking to jump ship immediately if I can't get Google maps back.
    I was just about to comment on the horrible traffic support. Its useless. Shows only the highway where I live in atlanta Ga

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I found this on another thread:

10/13/2011, 08:57 PM #4246 (permalink)
    John Steffes

PRE3 Skype on non-PRE devices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the 2.2.x Dr. the entire phone app is upgraded to Enyo with Skype integrated. Copying the Skype ipk from 2.2.x does not add Skype to Webos 2.1.0 that is the reason I used the Verizon Skype for Verizon devices. One can copy the Verizon Dr., metadoctor it to work on a non-Verizon device (unlocked pre2/pre plus). I have a Pre2 and a Pre+ and both are Verizon devices and Skype works on both. I can not say if just having the Verizon dr. with the 2.1 Skype will work, but it is worth the try. FYI the maps released in the app catalog also now included Enyo (did not validate if the framework changed from webos 3.0.0, or 3.0.2, or 2.2.0, or 2.2.3 (att or Verizon) assume all are same 1.0 version. To keep Google Maps and Bing Maps, once I installed maps from catalog, use internalz pro to change the appinfo.json under /media/crypto/.../app../com.palm.app.maps change the name from Maps to Bing Maps and the app id to something like com.palm.app.bingmaps and restart luna and you will see both Google Maps and Bing Maps. Now I can't say this will work with the standard Dr. (without Enyo) as I have my meta Dr. installed on my PRE2 and PRE+ (which already include Enyo), but when I installed maps it did not require a reboot and worked just fine.

Liked by
    Thanked By: toaste [Remove Your Thanks]
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste;3206227[B
    FYI the maps released in the app catalog also now included Enyo (did not validate if the framework changed from webos 3.0.0, or 3.0.2, or 2.2.0, or 2.2.3 (att or Verizon) assume all are same 1.0 version. To keep Google Maps and Bing Maps, once I installed maps from catalog, use internalz pro to change the appinfo.json under /media/crypto/.../app../com.palm.app.maps change the name from Maps to Bing Maps and the app id to something like com.palm.app.bingmaps and restart luna and you will see both Google Maps and Bing Maps. Now I can't say this will work with the standard Dr. (without Enyo) as I have my meta Dr. installed on my PRE2 and PRE+ (which already include Enyo), but when I installed maps it did not require a reboot and worked just fine. [/B]
    with this method you can't get future updates for your HP Maps (Bing) afterwards. Perhaps it would be better to rename/reinstall google maps to e.g. "com.palm.apps.googlemaps". Perhaps you just search for that exact name (WITH Quotation marks) in Google -

[update] the app found there seems only to work with 2.x (not 1.4.5).:
    search google for "Google Maps durch HP Maps" with quotation marks.
    RafRol likes this.
    The new Bing Maps doesn't have street view of Metro Manila in the Philippines. Is there an easy way to get Google Maps back on my Pre 2?
    virseph likes this.
    Well, the Google app used to work on my Pre. All I get from the new app is "Your current location is unavailable." I take it that that's a change that can't be reversed.
    I miss the old thread title. I thought that was done on purpose.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  13.    #73  
    I miss the old thread title. I thought that was done on purpose.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    aye, sending a PM to Mr. Newman!

-- Sent from my PandaPad using Communities
    I see pandas.
    I've not jumped ship to Bing yet...and the more I read about it here, the less likely I am to jump. Perhaps our beloved Homebrew wizards will come up with a way to have both without loosing functionality, so I think I shall wait and see.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Some previous posters have already figured it out but you can have both apps active and working. The issue I have is that I want both apps working but I want GMaps to be the default map app. I don't think anyone has figured out how to get this set working but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I'm dying to see how the Bing map app works but don't want to lose out on functionality of other apps in exchange.
    If I restore via webOS Doctor, will I get the old maps back?
    Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    Some previous posters have already figured it out but you can have both apps active and working. The issue I have is that I want both apps working but I want GMaps to be the default map app. I don't think anyone has figured out how to get this set working but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I'm dying to see how the Bing map app works but don't want to lose out on functionality of other apps in exchange.
    if you look for that string i posted here in google, you will find what you need:
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    if you look for that string i posted here in google, you will find what you need:
    From your post, it sounds like this would only work for meta-doctored phones with 2.1. I have a VZW Pre2 with the official release of 2.1 on it so I thought this didn't apply to me. Are you saying this method will work for me too? Seems like a really nice solution if it does...
    So... Just tried to install on my pre plus running 1.4.5 (02 UK) and the app is downloading but when I try to launch it just hangs on the launch screen

Haven't been asked to put in any details or restart my phone or anything. Anyone else having this issue? anyone got any idea what is going on?
    Anyone put google maps back on a 1.4.5 phone yet?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast