Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    To install old google maps, follow smth like this

download pre2 doctor, extract it,
    find usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps folder
    edit appinfo.json - change id from com.palm.app.maps to smth different eg. com.palm.app.googlemaps and the title to GoogleMaps
    run palm-package on the folder
    install ipk on device
    mc_gusto likes this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I don't use the Google Maps app. So I'm not afraid of losing it.
    However will the uninstallation of Google maps cause problems to other services? Like Foursquare, Facebook Places, Twitter etc which sometimes need location services?
    After installing the BING maps app you can't even open google maps from within the webbrowser anymore. Try to open an url like m.google.de/maps and instead of opening the google maps web page the BING maps app opens. This is taking it a bit too far for my taste.

At least there should have been a notification that you are completely blocked from using google maps once you install the BING maps app.

Would be nice if somebody could provide a patch that comfortably either reverts maps to GOOGLE (for those who prefer this to BING for whatever reason) or allows for parallel installation of both maps apps.
    Fuuuu, Bing won't accept international characters! Not on my Touchpad, and not on my Pre3. What's up with that? I can't to a search for lakes or islands here in Norway, 'cause they often contain the letter .

I can paste in the text from Notepad, but that's just silly.
    Why is it a problem for you that google map is an old version ? I don't know for older phone, but on VEER my google map is really good, has better interface than the bing app, shows traffic and allow to trace an itinerary. What else do you need ??? Plus bing map needs you to give personal infos like cellphone number etc...
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Issue is Google maps uses an api that is deprecated, and about to end. Palm had to release something to give users a solution for that.
    I was dissapointed because my Pre3 for AT&T shipped with Bing Maps. I use Google Latitude alot and now I have no way of doing it. Only the updater app from preware works and I have to use my touchpad for google latitude.

I hope someone bright enough makes a Google Latitude app. The Trapster app is Google Maps powered and it still works so I am hoping it is possible for a developer to make a standalone Latitude app. I will gladly pay $10 for it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    So the google map app will no longer work in the coming monthes ?
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Bing maps is absolutely useless. Never knew I would actually be rooting for keeping a Google app, but unfortunately Bing maps is absolutely useless. Their maps are god only knows how many years old. The area where I have lived for six years now, does not even exist on their maps.
    Suprisingly, the Bing map in my area is actually a lot newer. It just depends on where you live I suppose. I am over the painfully slow and lathargic google map application of old and I love the enyo interface!
    Would it be feasible to patch this app so it rotates with the phone? My frankenPre Plus has a row on the touchscreen that's failing and that happens to be exactly where the address entry field on the bing maps is, so I can't tap there to search for an address, nor can I tap the GPS icon, nor can I turn on the traffic, which makes this app pretty much completely useless (keyboard shortcuts would have been nice). With other apps, I'm able to work around the problem by rotating my phone until the area I need to tap appears on a functional area of my touchscreen.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    If you want to use Google Maps, why not just use BFG Maps?
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    If you want to use Google Maps, why not just use BFG Maps?
    Not available on the Pre3 / doesn't support latitude.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    For the record, now I officially have enyo on:
    Telcel Pre (2.1)
    AT&T Pre+ (2.1)
    AT&T Pixi (2.1)
    AT&T Pre2 (2.1)

Every single device downloaded the app from the catalog. You have to delete your /usr/palm/frameworks/enyo directory if you were testing before and have it there or it will not install correctly.

DON'T DELETE YOUR enyo DIRECTORY IF USING A Pre3!!!!
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    So the google map app will no longer work in the coming monthes ?
    Yes, that is my understanding. And I think the timeframe may be less than months, that was unclear in the conversation.

Google would actually be a better source to confirm this than HP Palm. I do know that the Palm folks were initially happy with Google maps, but then lost their happiness when it became clear Google would not update the app once they launched their G1.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I don't use the Google Maps app. So I'm not afraid of losing it.
    However will the uninstallation of Google maps cause problems to other services? Like Foursquare, Facebook Places, Twitter etc which sometimes need location services?
    I've found issues with Whitepages, ZipCode Tool, and a hit and miss with Facebook.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeybeep View Post
    Can anyone post a pro/con list between bing and google maps? Any reason I should prefer google over bing for mapping?
    I prefer Google Maps even if it is old. My main use for Google Maps is for times/routes to use public transit. Works great in Google Maps. Bing Maps only supports public transit info. in a very small select set of cities (and of course not my city which Google Maps does support).
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    To install old google maps, follow smth like this

download pre2 doctor, extract it,
    find usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps folder
    edit appinfo.json - change id from com.palm.app.maps to smth different eg. com.palm.app.googlemaps and the title to GoogleMaps
    run palm-package on the folder
    install ipk on device
    Can you explain the "run palm-package on the folder" step? I follow you on all of the other steps but I'm lost on this one. Thanks for the tip either way. I'm not comfortable trying the new bing maps without knowing I can go back to Gmaps. Thank you.
    This works for me on a Verizon Pre 2, webOS 2.1.0

You can have Bing maps, Google maps and Latitude all working, so you have the choice of maps when you want it. This takes a little work, but it's not bad at all.

1. Install Bing Maps (or HP Maps) from the App Catalog.
    2. Reinstall Google Maps as ahsirg explained above (I renamed my app to com.palm.app.googlemaps, like he suggested).
    3. Get the patch from xanthinealkaloid (Sorry, I'm not allowed to post links. Too much of a noob, I guess. Search the forums for "patch google latitude workaround" and see post #22).
    4. Edit the file paths in the top of the patch file to map to your current Google Maps installation.
    5. (For me, I added /media/cryptofs/apps to the front of the path, and changed com.palm.app.maps to com.palm.app.googlemaps. Full path = /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.googlemaps/<other stuff>. You'll need to use Internalz Pro or the command line to verify it's the same for you.)
    6. Make sure you change the path in both the --- and +++ lines at the top of the file.
    7. Save the patch somewhere you can find it.
    8. Use WebOSQuickInstall to install the patch.

Testing:
    1. Launch Bing Maps (just for fun, and to prove you can have both).
    2. Launch Google Maps (it should be in your app launcher like a newly installed app)
    3. Pull down the app menu, and there should be a 'Latitude' option now that will start Latitude in the Google Maps app just like before.

Good Luck, and I hope this works as well for you as it did for me.
    dcherian likes this.
    dki378: You'll need some version of the Palm SDK installed to run that step.

What it means is that you navigate by command line to the directory where you extracted the Google Maps app and changed the appinfo.json, go one directory above it, and run the palm-package command.

When I extracted the app from the doctor it created a com.palm.app.maps folder, which then had the appinfo.json file in it, also the app, images, resources, stylesheets folders. Go to the directory right above that, where you can see the com.palm.app.maps folder, and type
    Code:
    palm-package com.palm.app.maps
    The folder name doesn't matter, just make sure the app ID changed in appinfo.json. This command should produce a com.palm.app.googlemaps_1.0.0_all.ipk file in the current directory. That's what you install with either palm-install, or WebOS Quick Install.

Hope that helps
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mooneroid View Post
    dki378: You'll need some version of the Palm SDK installed to run that step.

What it means is that you navigate by command line to the directory where you extracted the Google Maps app and changed the appinfo.json, go one directory above it, and run the palm-package command.

When I extracted the app from the doctor it created a com.palm.app.maps folder, which then had the appinfo.json file in it, also the app, images, resources, stylesheets folders. Go to the directory right above that, where you can see the com.palm.app.maps folder, and type
    Code:
    palm-package com.palm.app.maps
    The folder name doesn't matter, just make sure the app ID changed in appinfo.json. This command should produce a com.palm.app.googlemaps_1.0.0_all.ipk file in the current directory. That's what you install with either palm-install, or WebOS Quick Install.

Hope that helps
    Thanks! I've never messed with the Palm SDK but it sounds pretty straight forward. I'll give it a go! Thanks again.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast