Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
    From experience, I know places wher Google is better than Bing or vice-versa. I would like to be able to choose which one I want to use on a case by case.
    Better is one thing. But, having absolutely no mapping of an area is pathetic. Specially considering that the area is not in the boondocks and in fact, ironically, is only a few miles from Microsoft headquarters in India.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    A few things that I have noticed:

a) Google Services are still available within the Location Services settings.

b) Google Services has to be enabled in order for Bing Maps to get a lock on your location. Enabling GPS alone is not enough.

c) Map links on the browser that originally launched Google Maps now launch Bing Maps.

d) So far, I haven't found a link that actually worked. Bing Maps will launch without the address/data pre-loaded. You will have to manually input the info.

e) You can swipe through the search results that appear at the bottom of the screen and the map will update with each result, but if you TAP on the next numbered result, the map will not update.

Anyone else noticed these observations? Am I incorrect on any of these?

So far, it's not so good. Not so bad, but not so good. Definitely room for improvement... and that is reason enough to upgrade, because this Map App will be supported.

UPDATE: I stand corrected on point b. Google Services does not need to be enabled, but it will take time for Bing to get a lock onto your position if it isn't.

I am using my unlocked Pre2 via WiFi.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/13/2011 at 12:35 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    The unofficial update brings a slew of problems with the amazing-ness of Enyo. This is for the open talking about these issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Seems to work fine on my Verizon 2.1 Pre Plus. Got a GPS fix incredibly fast compared to Google, and doesn't seem to be subject to Verizon's crippling.
    It has the same crippling here. You don't have google location services active, do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    A few things that I have noticed:
    b) Google Services has to be enabled in order for Bing Maps to get a lock on your location. Enabling GPS alone is not enough.
    Are you on Verizon? Your GPS is inactive. Get the GPS Fix app in the catalog to help with that.
    <threads merged>

works great on my Sprint FrankenPre (glad to get rid of Google)
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Are you on Verizon? Your GPS is inactive. Get the GPS Fix app in the catalog to help with that.
    I updated my previous post.

I am using my unlocked Pre2 via WiFi.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I use googs latitude alot so this is no bueno for me.
    Anyway the patch community working on having both map apps available?

I just read on the front page that the google maps api is changing anyway so i may have to upgrade anyway.
    I know "Google Latitude Assistant" launches a different instance of google maps.
    You can even run both the default-maps app and GLA maps at the same time.
    Anyone with GLA know if you can still run google maps after you update?
    BTW how does it compare with the YP mobile app?
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Needs international letters, live in sweden and pressing the sym and then A will not bring up letter pallet to choose . So happy for Enyo support sad to not be able to get the correct address on the map any more.
    Way to go HP, keep up the good work. Bring us more
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeybeep View Post
    Can anyone post a pro/con list between bing and google maps? Any reason I should prefer google over bing for mapping?
    Current Google Maps > Current Bing > Old Google Maps.

I would prefer Google Maps. But I'll take a current and supported Bing Maps over a unsupported 2 years old Google Maps.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Better is one thing. But, having absolutely no mapping of an area is pathetic. Specially considering that the area is not in the boondocks and in fact, ironically, is only a few miles from Microsoft headquarters in India.
    I thought Bing maps were getting replaced by Nokia maps as part of the Nokia-Windows phone deal? But perhaps that's only for the new Nokia Windows phones. They certainly wouldn't sell many to existing Nokia phone users if they had to use Bing maps.

I've heard the Bing maps coverage is o.k. for the U.S. market, but not so good elsewhere.
    i really like the new app, but Bing has only 2 streets in Minsk, Belarus
    so i left enyo, but removed the Maps app and installed back GoogleMaps from the 2.1.0 doctor
    gizmo21 likes this.
    So i personally like choices, is there a way to get HP Bing Maps as seperate app and have google maps stay as standard maps app.
    Here in Europe Bing service is not that advanced as even the 2 year old mobile google maps app, which essentially is the same as the html5 based: Google Maps with a webOS styled interface
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    i really like the new app, but Bing has only 2 streets in Minsk, Belarus
    so i left enyo, but removed the Maps app and installed back GoogleMaps from the 2.1.0 doctor
    Please descripe the way you did that.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I can't find "Bing Maps" in the app catalog on my Verizon Pre 2.
    Is it "HP Maps"?
    Yup, that's the one.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Ok thank you.
    To install old google maps, follow smth like this

download pre2 doctor, extract it,
    find usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps folder
    edit appinfo.json - change id from com.palm.app.maps to smth different eg. com.palm.app.googlemaps and the title to GoogleMaps
    run palm-package on the folder
    install ipk on device
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast