1.    #1  
    So has everyone moved on from Kobo since they are no longer supporting WebOS and the Touchpad has a Kindle app?

I had used Kobo on my palm- and got a kobo ereader, always wished they would have communicated to each other and now with the whole Kobo pulse, it would be really cool to have a touchpad app, phone app and ereader communicate with each other.

Oh well, I guess thats why so many people buy IPads.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I still use Kobo. I have used it on my Pre. When I got my TP,I found I could read "my library" online through the browser. So I stuck with it since I usually read on my Pre.

Tonight my Pre's battery was low so I picked up my TP and found that they have changed their site for the worse. I just sent an email to support. Their answer will determine if I stay with Kobo any longer.
    The Kobo app is still in the catalog. If you are using it on webOS 2.x or 3.x, there's a patch in preware you need to install to turn off Bluetooth syncing. Kobo is aware of the problem & fix, but can't be bothered. Of course, if you use it on a TouchPad, it'll run in the small emulator window.
    I have used Kobo ereader for over a year to read numerous books but it has been two weeks since I could use my Palm Pre Plus to connect to the Kobo server. I finished a previously downloaded book but cannot get new books or download those that I paid for. I tried all the recommended remedies - deleted and reinstalled app, totally turned-off device and removed battery, cleared the app's cache, etc. Nothing. I can get into my account on my PC and even read there but not on my smartphone.

So, I sent an email and got an automated email that promised an answer in 24-48 hours. Then, I sent another.

A week ago, I spent an hour and a half listening to their recording and got through by telephone to a human. She told me that they were swamped with emails and that there was a problem with the server but it should be resolved by the end of the week. That was last week.

The app is still in the catalog. But the WebOS app is no longer listed on their website. That's new. It was there a few days ago. This can't be good.

Urgh! I want to get back to reading up-to-date books.
    Last edited by lkklose; 11/16/2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lkklose View Post
    I have used Kobo ereader for over a year to read numerous books but it has been two weeks since I could use my Palm Pre Plus to connect to the Kobo server. I finished a previously downloaded book but cannot get new books or download those that I paid for. I tried all the recommended remedies - deleted and reinstalled app, totally turned-off device and removed battery, cleared the app's cache, etc. Nothing. I can get into my account on my PC and even read there but not on my smartphone.

So, I sent an email and got an automated email that promised an answer in 24-48 hours. Then, I sent another.

A week ago, I spent an hour and a half listening to their recording and got through by telephone to a human. She told me that they were swamped with emails and that there was a problem with the server but it should be resolved by the end of the week. That was last week.

The app is still in the catalog. But the WebOS app is no longer listed on their website. That's new. It was there a few days ago. This can't be good.

what's kobo? (kidding).

haven't used it since I got a kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkklose View Post

If you load preware & search for kobo, you will find a patch. Install it and your Kobo reader will act like normal again.
    I quit using Kobo early this year when I updated to webOS 2.1 and it quit working (always claimed no network connection; I guess that's what the patch fixes, I wasn't aware of it until now). I had just been planning to actually buy a book or two, after having happily read a couple of classics. No update ever came... Kobo ignored me, so I ignored Kobo.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I quit using Kobo early this year when I updated to webOS 2.1 and it quit working (always claimed no network connection; I guess that's what the patch fixes, I wasn't aware of it until now). I had just been planning to actually buy a book or two, after having happily read a couple of classics. No update ever came... Kobo ignored me, so I ignored Kobo.
    Yes, that's what the patch fixes. For some reason, with webOS 2.x+ the Kobo app tries to connect to Kobo over Bluetooth. Of course that doesn't make sense or work. The patch just makes it skip the Bluetooth attempt & use 3G or WiFi instead.
    People should at least drop them a note as to why they are ditching them. And point them to the patch.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Was Kobo the one where you couldn't actually set a bookmark, or am I thinking of some other reader for the Pre?
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    People should at least drop them a note as to why they are ditching them. And point them to the patch.
    "Hey, by the way, here's some code that modifies your copyrighted application."

Something tells me that may not go over altogether well unless you know for a fact they've been kind to this sort of thing in the past.
    Yoy can just say "all you have to do is fix lines 635-639 of whatever file" or whatever it is the patch actually does. Though there shouldn't be anything to worry about as far as that goes -- you're modifying your own copy of their app, not distributing a new copy.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    kobo got bought by some other company. not sure if that has anything to do with it. Kobo bought by Japanese e-commerce company Rakuten | ZDNet
    My kobo app stopped when every one elses quit using a Palm Pre Plus. I've had numerous phone and e-mail contacts from them to no avail. Their last recommendation is that I use webOS 1.4 instead of the 1.4.5 that came with my phone. Of course I tries all of the deleat/reload recommendations. The only way I've gotten responses from htem was to start talking about fraud/theft charges for selling me over $100 in books I can't access. I note that the kobo app 0.9.22 is still on the app catalog page. ATT and Palm seem to be as little concerned as kobo.

I'll try to keep you informed. as the ball is back in their court.
    I did a search but can't find a patch for 1.4.5. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by lgray001 View Post
    My kobo app stopped when every one elses quit using a Palm Pre Plus. I've had numerous phone and e-mail contacts from them to no avail. Their last recommendation is that I use webOS 1.4 instead of the 1.4.5 that came with my phone. Of course I tries all of the deleat/reload recommendations. The only way I've gotten responses from htem was to start talking about fraud/theft charges for selling me over $100 in books I can't access. I note that the kobo app 0.9.22 is still on the app catalog page. ATT and Palm seem to be as little concerned as kobo.

I'll try to keep you informed. as the ball is back in their court.