Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By hapbeeboy#WN
  • 1 Post By JohanX
  • 1 Post By MobileBill23
  • 3 Post By DanPLC
  1.    #1  
    The HP marketing brilliance continues to amaze me with these useless promo code releases. Whoever the genius at HP who came up with it or worse the executive that still thinks it is a good idea should be moved to a more useful position (maybe fixing the cracked cases).

Let's think this through, every week or so you release a few VERY limited number of codes and the results are: 1) The vast majority of chatter you generate are irritated people because as a result of how few codes there are and the speed info travels MOST people won't get them. 2) As a result of #1 most people over time (if not already) will just ignore it which frankly defeats the purpose.

You would think they could perform some simple analysis and understand how flawed the idea is and maybe they should look to how app promotions are handled in iTunes. You want to generate interest in an app, so you lower the price to generate traffic and likely sell quite a few, those buys rave at what a great app it is and even when the price goes back up that positive spin in many cases generate future sales. Even in the HP Store look at Splashtop over the few weeks, dropped the price to a very low "introductory" price, generated a bunch of awareness and from all the feedback appear to have sold a lot of apps. Compare that to "Music Player" today, very few people got it (and no revenue), very little press and that press will just tell you how you missed the promotion and I can say very likely generated very few new sales.
    Even better, all those with TouchPads being fixed can't take advantage of them, and if you don't have your TouchPad with you. . . you can't take advantage of them either--wonder who thought it was a good idea to have a promotion that only those with device in hand (a tablet most people won't have with them at work) are the only ones who can take advantage?!?!?

I agree with you, if they really wanted to promote apps & make people happy then they should follow your suggestion or do an Amazon type free app per day or discounted app per day or week--give people a chance to find out about it, review it, and get it when they can. . . and make it possible for people to add apps to their accounts without having the device in hand.
    I got all today, so they weren't useless to me ;-). I do agree that the limited quantity is an issue at times, but I have been lucky so far, for the most part..
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I agree, but it is what it is and thanks to push mail on my Veer, Free Tether, and an 8 to 5 desk job, I'm on those promo codes like white on rice.
    They should release unique codes for each owner that lasts 24 hrs so we all get a shot...but i'm all for paying for good apps as well to support the awesome devs
    c000 likes this.
    I feel your frustration, I've missed out on quite a few promo codes; but I don't think the primary purpose of the HP promo code is to promote the apps. I think it's just a way to reward webOS users with a chance to get free apps. Also developers are the real winners, as HP pays them as if we bought the apps.

I don't know what the numbers are, but it's safe to say that compared to the million or so TouchPads in the wild, that what ever amount of promo codes are made available will fell tiny in comparison.

Also if you want to blow off steam, I say get mad at the Slickdealers. The promo codes were posted in their forums as well, and once any promo code (or any webOS deal) is posted there, you have a half hour (maybe an hour) at best before it's gone.

If you can't beat 'em, join em. Just follow the Slickdeals forums and/or carry your TouchPad with you, and you'll increase your chances at getting free promo codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Also if you want to blow off steam, I say get mad at the Slickdealers. The promo codes were posted in their forums as well, and once any promo code (or any webOS deal) is posted there, you have a half hour (maybe an hour) at best before it's gone.
    There are probably 20-30 websites and Facebook pages that will post the codes as quickly as SlickDeals.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    They should do like Amazon does with their Android Market: Every day they have a normally paid app for free.

Even if they only did it one day a week it would be better than just giving away 100 copies...
    TPwebOS820 likes this.
    Why are you complaining? In other countries than the USA, you get almost never any promo codes. So what should users from Europe say?
    its not only about free codes but its only available in US. It doesnt work in canada. this is how u start hating.
    So when RyanAir offers airline tickets for €1 (or any airline with a fare promotion for that matter), should they be held responsible to have this price available to anyone and everyone that wants it for any flight they want on any date? Of course not. They can only sell a finite number of tickets at that price per flight, lest they want to fly a plane at a loss.

Amazon can do their FAOtD because a major portion of their business model is based on content delivery; which is why they are selling the Kindle Fire at-cost or even slightly below-cost. They can take a loss on an app or device because they will make it up in spades through other revenue channels that the customer uses. Google, HP, RIM, and Apple really don't have that luxury (although Apple is in a slightly better position).

If you want real frustration, try claiming a promo code off of Meritline.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
    There are probably 20-30 websites and Facebook pages that will post the codes as quickly as SlickDeals.
    That's true, but I mention SlickDeals because out of most of the community/forum sites, they probably have the largest audience, and the most people looking for deals.

I'm looking at the Promo codes thread here in PreCentral Vs the one in Slickdeals; they were both started about 5 hrs ago, and PC has about 955 views; SD has 24,000+ views. I'm not blaming SD for hogging all the codes, but I do know once a deal gets posted on SD, it doesn't last too long.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hapbeeboy View Post
    They should release unique codes for each owner that lasts 24 hrs so we all get a shot...but i'm all for paying for good apps as well to support the awesome devs
    yep I agree with you on this. Unfortunately one problem, some people don't get the newsletter. I signed up with 3 email accounts and still to this day never got one newsletter lol
    This thread is a testament to the entitlement mentality and complaining. Apparently I missed out on some codes today - SO WHAT!
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    yep I agree with you on this. Unfortunately one problem, some people don't get the newsletter. I signed up with 3 email accounts and still to this day never got one newsletter lol
    I've had exactly the same problem...I feel your pain!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    This thread is a testament to the entitlement mentality and complaining. Apparently I missed out on some codes today - SO WHAT!
    Entitlement mentality? - hardly. Not once in my post did I complain that I didn't get the codes - I have a very busy life and due to the nature of the program frankly just ignore the offers because they will always be long gone by the time I ever see one.

That wasn't my point... my point is that the tiny limited free apps codes that most can never get is a flawed sales strategy as compared to a well thought out discounting program to drive sales (sorry I'm in sales so do tend to look at this as what approach will drive more revenue and reward the developer community)

My app buying works like this - I buy the apps that I really want or need usually straight away but also have a list of apps that end up in my "wish list" or nice to haves. In other successful app stores when a particular wish list price drops for a limited time it will sometimes be enough to tip the scale and motivate a purchase. Heck, just putting something on sale drives visibility of the app and I might discover something I hadn't seen before.

Just saying... what do you think would drive more sales and reward developers - putting five app on the promo code program once a week that most won't get (and some are disappointed) or how about once a week offering 5 apps at 30% or 50% off for 24 hours? Think it through.
    Complaining about something that is free. Does it get any more whiny than that?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetude View Post
    Compare that to "Music Player" today, very few people got it (and no revenue), very little press and that press will just tell you how you missed the promotion and I can say very likely generated very few new sales.
    I'm the developer of Music Player (Remix) and I haven't seen the download stats yet (they update daily). So how would you know that "very few people got it"? I have heard from other developers who had their apps in previous giveaways and if the figures they've mentioned are correct, it's not just "a few".

And you're wrong about "no revenue". HP contacted me prior to the sale going live and they will be paying me my normal share as if everybody today purchased it at the normal price.

In regards to whether this promotion will generate new sales, I think it will. A ton of people were sent an email talking about my app. That's great free advertising. For those who may have missed the promo, they may go check it out in the catalog and decide to drop a few bucks on it based upon the positive feedback left by other people.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami