Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes
    I'd buy apps if there were any worth spending money on. There aren't. Just bad ports of iOS apps and half finished web OS apps charging $5 for nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_42 View Post
    ...Anyways, to be more on topic, at this point I'm just buying any app I *might* want in the future, because you never know if it will still be available in a couple months.
    This is exactly what is limiting my app purchases. I know I don't wanna spend my money on an app that was possibly thrown together and may never be updated, fixed or improved.
    Over the last two weeks I have spent a reasonable amount of money (certainly over 30) buying apps but I am not sure I completely agree with the OP.

My first thought was that there are not enough webOS users to make a difference. I have no idea how much a developer will make out of an app but with a maximum user base of a little over 1m (and slowly dropping) where is the incentive to spend time developing for the OS. Surely a developer's time would be better spent developing apps for other OS with much larger and growing user base.

My second thought was that I am not particularly impressed with the quality of the apps I have bought. It took me a while to realise that even indifferent software gets 4 and 5 star reviews in the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Guys come on. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Just buy any app that's around to keep webOS alive? First of all, that isn't going to help one way or the other. Secondly, why would I buy apps for something that will most likely be able to run android in a few weeks?

Seriously, don't listen to these people. Buying apps just to buy them is a huge waste of money.

And for the record, my touchpad runs like garbage compared to my original ipad. The thing has no apps, it's laggy even with overlooking and patches, and I hardly can find a use for it. Can't believe after so much work trying to find one, I kinda want to sell it

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    I can certainly understand where you're coming from, but you may be looking at the iPad through rose colored glasses. I own an original 64gb iPad 3G, a White 64gb HP Touchpad, and I use a Verizon iPad 2 for my work. I also consider myself reasonably level-minded.

Certainly the iPad has far, far more (and superior) apps available than the Touchpad. However, for web browsing, the Touchpad has become my go-to device. Why? Well...
    1. My Macbook is heavier, more expensive, and with limiting ergonomics.
    2. My iPad (original) is unstable with multiple open tabs. Momentary keyboard and system-wide lock-ups aren't uncommon. Aggravating memory-related app crashes require constant device reboots. (These aren't exclusively browser issues, and can be found in general multitasking experiences)

Now, the Touchpad isn't perfect. The browser lacks a number of features, and the "new card" aspect in-lieu of tabs isn't especially ideal. It also has a peculiarity about it where opening a new card then immediately switching back to the original will cause blurred text. Overall though, the Touchpad feels faster and a great deal more stable than the iPad (original) in general operation. Music, Audio books, Web browsing, Videos, e-Books... these all function at least reasonably well on the Touchpad and, to me, certainly justify my purchase.

A final note: The iPad 2 is rock-solid stability-wise, and feels operationally smoother than the Touchpad. Also, I plan to dual-boot WebOS and Android once CyanogenMod releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacos View Post
    I can certainly understand where you're coming from, but you may be looking at the iPad through rose colored glasses. I own an original 64gb iPad 3G, a White 64gb HP Touchpad, and I use a Verizon iPad 2 for my work. I also consider myself reasonably level-minded.

Certainly the iPad has far, far more (and superior) apps available than the Touchpad. However, for web browsing, the Touchpad has become my go-to device. Why? Well...
    2. My iPad (original) is unstable with multiple open tabs. Momentary keyboard and system-wide lock-ups aren't uncommon. Aggravating memory-related app crashes require constant device reboots. (These aren't exclusively browser issues, and can be found in general multitasking experiences)

Now, the Touchpad isn't perfect. The browser lacks a number of features, and the "new card" aspect in-lieu of tabs isn't especially ideal. It also has a peculiarity about it where opening a new card then immediately switching back to the original will cause blurred text. Overall though, the Touchpad feels faster and a great deal more stable than the iPad (original) in general operation. Music, Audio books, Web browsing, Videos, e-Books... these all function at least reasonably well on the Touchpad and, to me, certainly justify my purchase.

A final note: The iPad 2 is rock-solid stability-wise, and feels operationally smoother than the Touchpad. Also, I plan to dual-boot WebOS and Android once CyanogenMod releases.
    Overall I completely agree with you. However, my experience with the original 16gb iPad is very different. I find it rock solid and cannot remember having lock ups. However, my first Android tablet was often locking and apps that force closed. The Asus Transformer hardly every locks up.

But I agree, warts and all, for web browsing I prefer the Touchpad over the Ipad because of flash.

I have just been playing Solitaire on the Touchpad and even software as simple as that does not run smoothly. It suffers from regular mini lock ups.

In my personal opinion, Manga Reader, BHome, Solitaire, Mapping Tool, pReader, Kindle and Kalemsoft simply do not match up to the quality of their Ipad and Android equivalent or near equivalent software.
    Quote Originally Posted by saccento View Post
    couldn't disagree more. had high hopes for webOS but I haven't used my TP and won't until i can port android on it. use iOS and then try webOs.
    Why are you posting here?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    My second thought was that I am not particularly impressed with the quality of the apps I have bought. It took me a while to realise that even indifferent software gets 4 and 5 star reviews in the App Catalog.
    Most reviews are not very in-depth. Only way to change this is by posting your own reviews of what is good and bad, and giving a fair rating.

If you do rate lower, say why.
    Absolutely correct. If people see better reviews than "this Facebook app sucks, it can't use Twitter" or "I love this app", they will in turn tend to write better reviews.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Most reviews are not very in-depth. Only way to change this is by posting your own reviews of what is good and bad, and giving a fair rating.

If you do rate lower, say why.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Absolutely correct. If people see better reviews than "this Facebook app sucks, it can't use Twitter" or "I love this app", they will in turn tend to write better reviews.

I have taken your advice and written four or five reviews which I hope contains useful information to other users
    I'd buy apps if there were any worth spending money on. There aren't. Just bad ports of iOS apps and half finished web OS apps charging $5 for nothing.
    strangely, I can't think of anything in the app catalog that I've tried so far, and that's a pretty large list, that either of those descriptions fit.

As far as pricing goes, there is this huge mentality on the apple store that you'll have a larger sales volume at 99c than at any other price. You won't see me releasing a minimally priced app anywhere on any platform -- my work has value. Despite the 16 thoroughly negative reviews on gvoice, that were clearly all people who do not even slightly understand the product, or do not understand that certain things cannot be implemented or are extremely difficult to implement, I've got approximately 500 others who are regularly using it. I doubt that if it were 99c from the day it was released, it would have hardly any more users. I don't expect that the cross section of people who both have a touchpad and use google voice is exactly all that extremely large.

Anyway, went off on a tangent there a bit. My work has value, I'm not going to race anyone else to the bottom of the price chart to try and attract more users. That iphone mentality has reduced their customers to expect everything to be 99c. Of course it sure as he'll doesn't help that EA does regular 99c promotions.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    strangely, I can't think of anything in the app catalog that I've tried so far, and that's a pretty large list, that either of those descriptions fit.

As far as pricing goes, there is this huge mentality on the apple store that you'll have a larger sales volume at 99c than at any other price. You won't see me releasing a minimally priced app anywhere on any platform -- my work has value. Despite the 16 thoroughly negative reviews on gvoice, that were clearly all people who do not even slightly understand the product, or do not understand that certain things cannot be implemented or are extremely difficult to implement, I've got approximately 500 others who are regularly using it. I doubt that if it were 99c from the day it was released, it would have hardly any more users. I don't expect that the cross section of people who both have a touchpad and use google voice is exactly all that extremely large.

Anyway, went off on a tangent there a bit. My work has value, I'm not going to race anyone else to the bottom of the price chart to try and attract more users. That iphone mentality has reduced their customers to expect everything to be 99c. Of course it sure as he'll doesn't help that EA does regular 99c promotions.

If you have a $5 app and it is fully functional then you are not who I'm talking about, but you ARE in the minority in the app catalog. I'm not saying a person can't charge $5, I'm saying that at $5 I'd better get an app that works as advertised. And there's far more of the "half-finished" and "crappy ports of iOS games" than apps worth $5.

Kudos to you if you sell one of the few that's actually working and worth the money. You deserve it.
    I get all sorts of complaints that it doesn't work as advertised, that you can't make VoIP calls from the touchpad .. Which on one half is perfectly true -- gvoice does not allow you to make VoIP calls. But I never state that it does, either. People mistakenly believe that that is part of the google voice service, eventhough it never has been

I have to admit that when I first put it out there I had no idea of the number of functions built into this service that I simply knew absolutely nothing about, but I think I've got them all implemented now

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    @eblade shameless plug :-P

Merely speaking factually about my development and how I feel. I am a professional software engineer (normally in the game sector), the time that I have spent working on GVoice over the past month and a half has been time that I feel is well spent, as I have an app that has taken my normal daily interaction with Google Voice to a new level. I hope everyone else out there can make some use out of it. I do greatly appreciate the software developers who put their software out there for free, but I think that they are truly short selling themselves.

I buy apps that I feel I can use. I've turned quite a bit of what I've received from GVoice back into other devs on the catalog, as well. And I look at nearly every single free app that comes down the pipe. Something that I like about this platform, is that if you load the app catalog once a day or so, you can actually keep abreast of all the software available... Another nice thing, is that we do get new stuff virtually every day, sometimes even on weekends. You go over to Apple, and they issue new updates once a week, throwing a couple hundred pieces of shovelware into their list, with maybe something here and there that you might want to use every now and then.

Additionally, I have every intention, once PayPal clears up a problem, of donating to the homebrew softwares. A lot of the people in the Homebrew community should be able to make a living on their contributions to the platform.

Last edited by eblade; 10/27/2011 at 01:09 PM.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    ka1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Had my $99 TP for a week now and have to say its better than I ever thought. Already the laptop is closed up and put away. I'm sure there is sometime I will decide i need to lug it to a conference or something but more than 90% of what I used the laptop for, I'm dong with the Touchpad, especially with Splashtop.

So, I have been buying and downloading every app that I think I might ever want. Even if I am not sure I want/need it right now, I am grabbing it -even bought a few 99 cent'ers wasnt sure i would ever use just for the heck of it -- and urge others to do the same for several reasons:

1. Your sending a buck or so to people that have supported webOS, hey thats a good reason by itself.

2. By having lots of people buy lots of apps, might encourage more apps and more developers

3. If HP can show great app sales, it makes a webOS purchase a lot more attractive to a buyer or (longshot) make HP change their minds about the whole thing.

4. Lastly, and this is the negative one, IF nobody takes over webOS soon, there is a strong chance that things will slowly start to die out on us. As great as the device is, when there is no possibilty of more, its going to be harder and harder to get people to support it. Eventually somebody at HP will look to the expense of maintaining webOS and the APP syetem. Depsite what they have promised, HP could pull the plug on the app cataloge at any time. [What!?!?! HP break a promise to webOS users? NEVER!!!].

So everybody, lets get them while you can. Its for a good cause and covers your backside as well!!

GET IN THERE AND BUY, BUY, BUY (oh yeah, and send some $$ love Internals way as well)
    While I haven't actually paid for any apps so far with my firesale touchpad, I plan on buying communities and smart office once I get paid and throw some money in my account.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    That's my thought process too. I did buy the preware app for the devs but I'm not shelling out money for lesser products. Gvoice? I appreciate the time and effort but I'll continue to use it on my phone for free. I do pay for apps. On Android, I've bought Touchdown email for $19.99, Doggcatcher for $7.99, PowerAmp for $4.99, and many many other apps between $0.99-$5. I'm not going to pay more for apps that are inferior and/or more expensive than they are on my phone. Some of the apps are just way overpriced for what performance and capabilities they have.

I've said it before but WebOS with Android's market would be a dream come true. The app store the way it is just feels like shopping at mom and pop grocery store in BFE where they can charge you what they want for crappier selection because they know you can't shop anywhere else.
    Last edited by kalel33; 10/28/2011 at 03:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    but I'm not shelling out money for lesser products.

I've said it before but WebOS with Android's market would be a dream come true. The app store the way it is just feels like shopping at mom and pop grocery store in BFE where they can charge you what they want for crappier selection because they know you can't shop anywhere else.
    After trying Cyanogenmod 7 on the TP, I totally agree with you. The market there is so much more exciting and full of wonderful apps.

When I first tried WebOS on the TP, it was good, but when I tried Cyanogenmod 7 and android in general, I understood why the TP did not sell well.

I am not trying to put down HP, the TP, WebOS, or the devs, but except for cards and multitasking, there is nothing WOW about WebOS on the TP compared to Android on the TP.

Again, the apps are what drive tablets!
    Hmm. I feel like the android marketplace app looks like a browser window barfed advertisements all over itself, and find it impossible to locate anything useful.

I'll also add that Google's voice app on android is apparently useless, as its expecting telephone hardware. All of the improved apps appear to be right around 3 dollars or so.

But I didn't come to this thread specifically to discuss my wares, I came to discuss supporting the platform as a whole.

Operating systems are tools, and we use the tools that work best for us. I am perfectly happy with webOS and I don't see myself just dumping it unless my needs change or the platform goes completely **** up.
    Last edited by eblade; 10/28/2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacos View Post

IF you are suggesting that the orignial iPad is more laggy than the touchpad, you are crazy. I have never had a single forced restart, no lag when opening apps, and general OS smoothness is WAAAY better on the iPad.

And I am a consistent hater of Apple products. That should tell you what you need to know about the TouchTurd...i mean Touchpad. The thing is a joke. I will sell it for $150 to anyone that wants it (32gb, BARELY used). I will restore to factory condition. There is no cracks, nothing wrong with it at all.
    ^^^ You'll have no problem selling it for $150 Better to let it go to someone who wants it.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12